Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC
Ranked #12 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We arrived late on Wednesday, February 19, and were greeted by friendly doormen, and the smiling Zoraya at the front desk. After telling her we were recently married, she upgraded our room from the club level city view to the more desirable water view. We were escorted to our room by the wonderful bell staff, and arrived to find chocolate dipped strawberries with "Congratulations" written in chocolate. Because it was late, we decided to dine in the Tai Pai club room that evening. Julienne, one of the club room managers, seated us by the window overlooking the Washington Monument, and brought us a bottle of sparkling wine to celebrate the first night of our mini-moon. We had planned to stay for 3 nights, but after being treated so well by all of the staff members, including Ariel in the Tai Pai lounge, another bottle of sparkling wine and treats from Zoraya, and getting wonderful information on activities from Jack the concierge, we decided to add on another night. The staff at the spa set up a couples massage for us in a private suite and treated us like royalty from start to finish. We cannot stop talking about how wonderful a trip it was to start our marriage and look forward to staying there every time we head back to D.C.

Room Tip: Water view rooms are quiet. Bed placement in rooms makes for no noise from adjacent rooms. Worth upg...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Timothy H, Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Dear Jessica R,

I shared your comments with Zoraya and the team. Everyone was truly delighted that we were able to make such a meaningful impact!

I trust that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon!

Director of Front Office Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (1,953)

Reviewed 9 March 2014

I stayed pin this hotel for three days under an AMEX special. The hotel is located near the National Mall, close by the Department of Agriculture, and the tidal basin marina. The museums at the Smithsonian and the other attractions by the mall are only a short walk away, which is a real plus. On the other side, the hotel is not close to shopping or other restaurants in kind of an out of the way corner. I think for families the hotel might not be the right place. The hotel itself is marvelous, with a super spa and fitness center/pool facility. The restaurants are very good, particularly if you like an Asian lean. I stayed on the club floor, which was great. I think that this was the best club lounge that I have experienced in any hotel. The staff in this hotel is also the best that i have experienced. they are just great at every turn. The rooms are what you would expect from Mandarin Oriental-perfect in every way, with great housekeeping and turndown service. I would like to have taken the bathroom with me but it wouldn't fit in my luggage. Overall, for a couple on a sightseeing trip, a visit to museums or the national mall or for a luxury business stay, this place is great. If you are looking for shopping and a walk to a diversity of restaurants, there are other luxury hotels in DC that are better.

Room Tip: the rooms on the club floor or with club privileges cannot be beat. The club room serves a nice bre...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Dear donjskiba,

Thank you for providing such great feedback! As you pointed out, we are just a short walk away from all of the Smithsonian Museums. Additionally, we are centrally located & within walking distance of the Cherry Blossoms! We have a foot bridge from our garden that can easily take you to the Tidal Basin in minutes. Our garden also has a few Cherry Blossom trees to call our own.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 8 March 2014

Stayed here recently for a business trip. The front desk staff at check in was delightful and let me get into my room early. Everyone I encountered during my stay was friendly, professional and helpful. My hair dryer didn't work well (only worked on low) and they were at my door in about 2 minutes with a new one. The banquet service was excellent and the food was very good. All in all, a great stay at the Mandarin.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Timothy H, Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2014

Dear NVARedSoxFan,

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us!

For those traveling on business, time can be a very important commodity. As such, we take great care to ensure that our service is not only professional, but timely and efficient as well.

I look forward to welcome you back to Washington, D.C. soon!

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Just attended a three day meeting at the Mandarin Oriental -- staying two nights. I had read other TA reviews and knew that the hotel was a little off the beaten path. It's actually a very short cab or metro ride to Smithsonian museums, Capitol Hill and Union Station. The hotel is, as one would expect of a Mandarin Oriental, beautifully designed with very well trained staff. The public space is lovely. Had a very nice lunch at MUZE, with a view of the Washington marina. My room was luxuriously appointed -- one of the best flat screens I've ever seen in a hotel -- and the bathroom is spectacular. The shower -- a vision of marble with a fabulous rain showerhead -- was the best hotel shower I have ever used. The water pressure was amazing. Room service was fast and delicious. All in all, a first class experience!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear mdtravelbaltimore,

Thank you for such a fantastic review.

As mentioned, we are very proud of our location in Southwest Washington, D.C.!

Since guests can avoid many of the main arteries, we have one of the shortest commute times to Capitol Hill and Union Station compared to most other hotels. Additionally, DCA is only a quick five to ten minute cab ride away.

I trust that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our Nation’s Capital soon.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

We loved the MO and would definitely stay again. The only two faults I could say are the pillows are very flat and you only get two per bed (I like lots of pillows!) and the restaurant food at Muze was not good (breakfast or dinner). Other than that, we could not complain. Every staff member we came across was so friendly and helpful. The pool was clean and a nice evening was had swimming laps and watching the sun set behind the Jefferson Memorial. The room was extremely clean and temperate. We had a nice view of the Jefferson. Overall, can't talk highly enough about the staff and how accommodating they were with us and our 10 year old daughter.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear Parisa63,

I took the opportunity to share your comments to our team. They were thrilled that both you and your daughter enjoyed your time with us.

All rooms that have a king bed come with four large king pillows, as a standard. However, there are some variations to that rule depending on the room type.

May I ask that you contact me directly at tharleth@mohg.com with your reservation number? I would like the opportunity to ensure you receive extra pillows upon any return visit.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

On a business trip, did experience a very good service which is not that common. Very nice location. Good breakfast experience. Excellent room quality. Free internet as expected. Very competent personnel.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear UniMahi,

We were delighted to read such kinds words & trust that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Washington!

Reviewed 2 March 2014

I recently stayed at the MO in DC. It is well known as a luxury hotel and indeed the setting was lovely. We had a very nice room overlooking the Jefferson Memorial and the MLK memorial was in sight. The room was smaller than I expected but that space was well worth the space used for the bathroom. The bathroom was wonderful and I could have spent my entire stay there! However, what really made this luxury hotel worth the price was the service. I was struck by the difference from the moment we arrived. The warmth, genuine welcoming approach, the attention to detail and the personalized care was deeply appreciated by this traveler. Thanks to all who made my stay memorable.

Room Tip: View of Jefferson Memorial was lovely
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Lynn C,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such wonderful feedback. Indeed, we strive to make our approach to service unique to the mission, vision, and values of our company.

We look forward to having another opportunity to welcome you back!