“Luxurious” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Luxurious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

The Mandarin goes above and beyond to make their guests feel comfortable and cared for -- if amenities are what you enjoy, then you're in for a seriously luxurious stay (they even give you little treats upon check in, like hot tea and hand towels). The location is relatively convenient at any time of year, but is absolutely perfect when the cherry blossoms are in bloom -- there is a path leading from behind the hotel down to the Tidal Basin that is easy and convenient.

Room Tip: Choose water view rooms during cherry blossom season!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Caitlin S
Timothy H, Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear Caitlin0194,

I am truly delighted that you were able to enjoy our Nation’s Capital in bloom!

Indeed, I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back during the next Cherry Blossom Festival!

Director of Front Office Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

The last few times we've stayed in DC have been at the Mandarin Oriental. Each time has been fabulous. While we wish the location could be better (not much is nearby) it makes for a good walk. The staff is exemplary and the amenities are top notch. The gym is particularly nice. Added bonus is that the walk to the waterfront is nearby for some fresh seafood and if you're a runner, it's a nice three mile run through the memorials and back to the hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank proncis
Dear proncis,

I am delighted that you have enjoyed your time with us! Indeed, the footbridge from our garden provides immediate access out to not only the unique DC waterfront, but also to the Tidal Basin and Jefferson Memorial.

I trust that we will be welcoming you back soon!

Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Enjoyed 4 days in this classic MO in DC. Rooms are very confortable, nice restaurants to choose from . Location is central but in a isolated aera of town however a short wak distance from DC museums. Concierge team was able to recommend great restaurants .

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Marcos P,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback!

Indeed, our location does have many benefits. As you pointed out, we are within a five to ten minute walk to the Smithsonian Castle. Additionally, we are within a fifteen to twenty minute walk to several fantastic restaurants along Pennsylvania Avenue.

Our Concierge team is on hand to make dining reservations to all of the hot spots in DC’s booming food scene. There is a taxi stand in front of the hotel that makes access in and out of our location incredibly easy.

We hope to welcome you back soon!

Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

I have been here several times and am finally compelled to write a review. The service was beyond superb! I was here, as always, for a conference. I arrived at 8am due to my very early flight and while I was not able to check in, which I did not expect, Misty at the front desk was extremely helpful and was able to upgrade me to a balcony suite from my standard room for a nominal charge (in my opinion). I needed to change for my conference around noon and was offered the spa to do so. I needed my suit pressed and Orlando was very accommodating and rushed it at no charge. Between Orlando and Misty at the front desk, I was in great hands. And to their credit, my room was available before the standard check in time, although I was already at my conference.

The rooms are outstanding (loved having the balcony) and so is the food. I had room service several times, enjoyed Muze and the lounge. All servers were excellent, and the room service folks were extremely courteous.

The room was huge, with a bath and a half. It was a suite though. The bed was super comfy and the room was extremely dark which made for great sleeping! I wasn't a huge fan of the pillows, but that is my fault because I could have had them changed out. Linens are important to me and I found the bed linens to be great, and the towels to be thick but not that plush. The robes were very good, and I always love the slippers they place by the bed. They also give you a bottle of water each night, by the bed, with a glass, and ice is stocked by the mini bar. Great touch!

I wanted to relax since I was at a busy conference so I booked a massage at the spa for my second night. At home, I frequent an amazing spa for massages and facials regularly. My massage was with Daisy and it was, hands down, the best massage I have ever had. It was so amazing that after I was done I went to the spa desk to see if they, by chance, could accommodate me for a facial. They did and Daisy did my facial. It was also amazing!! I frequently visit spas at hotels and usually find them to be good, but not what I am used to getting from my amazing spa at home. Mandarin Oriental DC far exceeded my expectations, and actually was better than my local spa.

All in all, I can't wait to attend the conference again next year to enjoy the hotel again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Mrs. Gatorgirl,

Thank you for the kind words!

I have shared your comments with Daisy in the Spa. The entire team was delighted that you enjoyed your treatments with us.

We hope to have another opportunity to welcome you back!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

I stayed here for the weekend with my daughters and was pleased. At check in they gave my daughters little stuffed panda bears and switched us to two double rooms vs a king (I made a mistake when booking).

We had a nice swim at the pool. We stayed on the ninth floor and used the club lounge. Happy hour appetizers were good. I felt the wine was just ok but that's a matter of personal taste. There is a balcony for a nice photo pop with background of Washington monument at the club. The breakfast w-/ good but not great. It would be great if they did omlets and bloody Mary's. Overall recommend the club level.

The view in room 913 was amazing of Jefferson memorial. The room was clean, the beds comfy. Huge bathtub and nice shower. There are train tracks on other side of hotel so make sure to get a room away from that side of hotel. We heard nothing. We had room service and it was good.

This hotel is great location. Just a few blocks for tidal basin, metro,and smithsonian.

On the expensive side but we liked this hotel and do recommend. Would repeat club experience.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Eric E
Timothy H, Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Dear Eric E,

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us!

Our location is truly ideal for a weekend away in Washington D.C.

The hotel is centrally located to all of the Smithsonian Museums. Through our garden, a privately maintained footbridge provides immediate access to the Jefferson Memorial and surrounding Tidal Basin.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon!

Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

We were there for one night only. But everything from roomservice to the backyard was perfect.

The hotel is perfect for a stay in the spring. I absolutely loved the breakfast.

We got great service, especially from the bell boys.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Timothy H, Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Dear Juliussen,

Thank you for the kind words! I have shared your comments with our team. We are truly delighted that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Warm Regards,
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

When you walk into the lobby of the Mandarin Oriental in Washington, DC, it is immediately apparent that you are in one of the top luxury hotels in the district. From the valet service outside and the professionalism at the front desk to the cleanliness of the rooms...the hotel met expectations. Our bathroom was especially nice.

At first, the location seems odd - you are in an area of SW DC that is almost entirely filled with government offices. If you are looking for shops and cafes outside your door, stay somewhere else. However, you can't get closer to the mall. The hotel is only two blocks away from Smithsonian museums on the Independence Ave. side of the mall and only one block from the tidal basin. More importantly, you are literally 30 seconds from the 395, making it incredibly easy to drive across the 14th street bridge to Reagan National, Old Town Alexandria or anywhere else in Virginia.

Unlike practically any other hotel in DC, the Mandarin Oriental is extremely accessible. You can drive into DC and pull in front of the hotel in 1 minute. You just can't do that at other luxury hotels in DC. Another helpful point - the hotel charges $50 to store you vehicle overnight (pretty standard for DC). However, based on the location and lack of anything else going on at night within a few blocks radius, we had an easy time parking on the street outside the hotel or around the corner on 12th Street SW...on Friday and Saturday night...for free.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank mjbatt77
Dear mjbatt77,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us! Indeed, we are very proud of our location within Southwest Washington, D.C.

In addition to being within just a five minute walk to most of the Smithsonian Museums, we are also just a five minute drive to the U.S. Capitol.

Moreover, many of the area’s top restaurants are just a short cab ride away. With a taxi stand directly outside our door, access in and out of the hotel is incredibly easy.

I trust that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon!