“Luxury and comfort”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Hanover, Pennsylvania
“Luxury and comfort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed here because of government business - closest hotel. As far as hotels go, this is the most luxurious I've ever stayed at. First off you are greeted by an enormous and beautiful floral centerpiece in the lobby. It is changed daily. Right off the lobby is a bar area, the Empress Lounge, which is great for relaxing or for meeting up with friends. The service is exceptional, the seating is comfortable and the view of outdoor gardens, a marina and the Potomac are unique in Washington.

We had dinner at one of the hotel's restaurants - Muze. Again, the view was the same as the lounge, very nice at dusk. You also get to watch traffic on the highway outside and feel lucky you aren't in it as you sip a cocktail. I doubt there is a bad choice on the menu. First class dining. Pricey, but perfect for a special occasion or an expense account. Service that matches the quality of the food.

The room was large and included a safe. The king-size bed was comfortable. The bathroom was huge, with a separate glass shower stall and soaking tub. Complimentary robes and slippers came in handy for relaxing after a day of sightseeing.

Our room didn't have much of a view, mostly the building next to it, but we wouldn't have spent much time looking out the windows anyways.

The only downside was the lack of affordable breakfast anywhere near. A Starbucks is across the street, with a very long line of office workers in the morning. The hotel has breakfast in the Muze restaurant, with many healthy choices, but I wanted something lighter on my wallet.

The Mandarin Oriental is close enough to walk to just about all the district attractions, if you are fairly fit. As a first-time tourist, I didn't mind, but will take the Metro subway more often next time.

Room Tip: If view is important to you, stress that when making your reservation. Bring comfortable walking sho...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Timothy H, Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Dear Slo_Mo_12,

Thank you for providing us with such wonderful feedback! Indeed, our location provides us with some of the best views within Washington! Additionally, our guests are just steps away from the Smithsonian Museums and Tidal Basin.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Director of Front Office Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

We had an amazing stay at the Mandarin Oriental. The location is perfect for walking to the attractions at the mall or for a hike around the tidal pool. After all that walking, chill out at the spa where guests are free to swim, enjoy the whirlpool, and steam room. By all means, have dinner at the fabulous Cityzen restaurant in the hotel. Food and atmosphere are worth every penny. There is so much to do and see and taste. The only dilemma is deciding what you can fit into your stay and what will have to wait for the next time.

Room Tip: Request a high floor for better views.
Dear DomenicaA,

Thank you for the kind words! I am truly delighted that you were able to take full advantage of our incredible Spa and the James Beard award-winning restaurant, CityZen.

We look forward to your next stay!

P.S. Fantastic picture!
Morristown, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

My son and I joined my husband on his business trip and stayed here. It's nice. Not super fancy like I thought it was going to be, but that is fine. I like casual! All of the staff was very nice. I could have sworn we left a DVD in the DVD player, but they said it wasn't there, so that's my fault! I really wanted to eat at Cityzen, but they would not let us sit with our 4 year old in the lounge area. You can not order the from the bar menu unless you are right at the bar. Not even at the chairs 3 feet from the bar! So, we didn't get to eat there. Guess they didn't need/want our money!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank elle07960
Dear elle07960,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us. However, this is not indicative of the high level of service we aim to deliver.

Could I ask that you reach out to me at tharleth@mohg.com with your reservation number? It will allow us the opportunity to look into the feedback you have raised.

I trust we will have the occasion to welcome you back into Washington soon!

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

Overall it was a pleasant quick stay. I was a bit disappointed our room was not ready when we arrived. While waiting for a room, we sat in the lounge area near the lobby and there was know one to even serve us beverages. The restaurant was also not open which is very odd for a luxury hotel. We have stayed here two times in the past but the service this visit was not as good as past stays.

1 Thank D W
Dear D W,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback! I apologize that your most recent stay did not meet your expectation and high level of service you previously experienced.

Could I kindly ask that you contact me at tharleth@mohg.com with your reservation details? I would be thankful for the opportunity to investigate further into the situation.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon!

Fairview Park, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

My husband and I recently took a weekend last minute excursion to Washington, DC. The Mandarin was providing a special through American Express Platinum. We have stayed at other Mandarin Oriental Hotels and love the attention to detail and service standard. This hotel was no different. I contacted Clyde the evening concierge ahead of time who provided us with great dinner recommendations. We had a beautiful corner executive suite room (city view). The room was very nice, comfortable bed, linens and a nice large bathroom with a television. The bathroom also had a great large shower. No problems sleeping, the room was dark and quiet. Breakfast and lunch food at Muse was very good.

The hotel is located close to the Mall and other points of interest. We were able to walk to Georgetown (about 45-60 minutes) and were given a lovely walking map from Jack, the concierge. The next day we walked in a different direction and again Jack provided us with walking tips and when to take a taxi. Overall, our stay was top notch for a weekend getaway with luxury, comfort and attentive service.

Room Tip: I had read earlier that a city view room would be quieter. We had a 5th floor room on the city side...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
MOWashingtonDCHotel, Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Dear Chris S,

Our colleagues are truly delighted that you enjoyed your stay! I took the liberty of sharing your kind words to Jack, Clyde, and the entire Concierge team. We trust that you will have the opportunity to see us again soon!

Charleston, West Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

As the trip was part business, part pleasure, my elderly aunt and I needed space. It was sufficient. I wish there'd been electrical sockets at bedside to charge my phone/iPad. Bathroom was roomy, but only one at a time can use. Would've been nice if there was another sink. Phone in bathroom not necessary, but the small flat screen was convenient. No coffee maker in room (for these prices, a Keurig would've been nice) but there was an honor bar. The 2 beds were very, very comfy as were pillows. In room temp control was responsive. In room safe was quirky. Windows Surface tablet at the desk was fun. Took advantage of The Spa. Had a mani and a massage: Staff was wonderful and Thea provided darn near the best massage I've EVER had. Could walk to Starbucks, CVS and a sandwich place. Common areas were spectacular. Will review Muze restaurant separately, but don't try to have a late dinner - service was awful.

Dear Christy M,

Thank you for the kind words! Thea and the team are thrilled that you enjoyed the treatment in our Spa. While our rooms do not include a coffee maker, we would be delighted to have one delivered to your room upon request. Additionally, I would be thankful for the opportunity to note your preference moving forward. Could I ask that you send me your confirmation number at tharleth@mohg.com?

We look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back soon!

Iowa City, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

This was my second stay here on business. Lovely hotel, very close to the Mall, probably a 5 minute walk. Nice fitness area, nice pool. Rooms are large lovely and well-appointed. Bathroom huge with a fantastic shower. All very clean. Marina views especially nice. Bar area is comfortable. Attentive, discreet service everywhere in hotel from check-in to checkout (I did not try room service.) Spa on premises. The only drawback of this hotel is that there are really no restaurants nearby. It is located in an office area and especially on the weekends you will need to cab it or take a significant walk to get anywhere.

Room Tip: Ask for view of Jefferson Memorial, or marina.
1 Thank bluestocking78
Timothy H, Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Dear bluestocking78,

Thank you for the kind words! I am delighted that you continue to enjoy your time with us.

As you mention, our hotel is located adjacent to the Tidal Basin. Indeed, it is a ten minute walk to the Jefferson Memorial or Smithsonian Castle. A fifteen to twenty minute walk will bring you upon Pennsylvania Avenue and the incredible restaurants the area has to offer.

However, the great advantage with Mandarin Oriental is that you never have to leave the front door to experience the best in Washington. CityZen, our signature restaurant, is James Beard award winning. Our restaurant Muze, helmed by Chef Mark McDonnell, displays his incredible talents with the flavors of South-East Asia. The Spa at Mandarin Oriental, is continually ranked among the best in the city.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!