“Great Location and Service”

Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC
Ranked #15 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Missouri
“Great Location and Service”
Reviewed 30 November 2008

Our family stayed at the Mandarin Oriental over the Thanksgiving holiday. As we booked through American Express Platinum, we were upgraded to a waterview view room, with a view of the Jefferson Memorial. Our room was not ready when we arrived, so we grabbed a bite of lunch at the MoZu cafe, which has a great view of the marina. The lobster club sandwich was very good, although the soft drinks were small and expensive. I would recommend that the hotel do away with the little soda bottles.

The room was outfitted with two double beds. Two queen beds would have been better. The beds were adequate, with soft duvets. The TV was a standard TV, not the flat screen that you usually see in most five star hotels now. The bathroom was great, all marble, with a separate soaking tub and shower. Good vanity space and a nice makeup light made the bathroom top-quality.

The spa at the MO was four if not five star. Spa use is free, which is much appreciated. There is a large "vitality pool" (hot spa), an amethyst steam room, and a special themed shower. The workout facilities were great, and the lap pool was nice. My only complaint was that both the hot spa and pool were a bit too cold, and water was not available on one visit.

There are two restaurants and one bar at the hotel. The bar is outstanding. Although drinks are expensive as they are at most five star hotels these days, you are presented with a huge bowl full of olives and nuts to enjoy with your drink. Drinks were very well made to boot. Therefore, you really felt like you were getting your money's worth at the bar.

City Zen is a smaller, top-of-the-line restaurant catering to the prix fixe crowd. We had drinks and cheese at the bar when the lobby bar was booked for a party. Cafe MoZu has an awesome breakfast ($20 per person credit if you book through AMEX), but dinner was just OK. I had black cod for dinner, which tasted a little less than perfectly fresh.

We really liked the location of the Mandarin Oriental. It is just a five or ten minute walk to the museums. It is especially close to the Holocaust Museum. There also is a Starbucks across the street, which is nice.

Staff at the hotel were exceptionally nice. Service there is just flawless.

Overall, we would stay at the Mandarin Oriental again next time we are in Washington, DC.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Expensive Soft Drinks
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
5 Thank OurLakeHouse

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Ireland
Reviewed 28 November 2008

Stayed in this hotel for a few nights - the room was very spacious with a nice view of the Jefferson Memorial. As typifies this level of luxury spacious bathroom offerred separate shower with nice Gilbert and Soames Amenities.
There is a beautiful Spa in the Hotel although treatements are a bit pricey . Internet is offerred at a reasonable $15.00 for 24 hours while Valet parking is a steeper $38.00 per night plus tax.
The Hotels location favours those who want to walk to the sights along the Mall in DC.
While there is a starbucks near the hotel there is little else in the way of restaurants in walking distance.

All the employees were very freindly and overall a very enjoyable stay in the Nations Capital.

• Liked — Fantastically comfortable beds
  • Disliked — Parking Price
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank 747/400
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 13 November 2008

The Mandarin Oriental has excellent service from the minute you arrive, to when you get to your room. As an 18-year old, I have grown to expect a certain level of discrimination especially in five-star hotels. This hotel, not only treated me like a king, but learned my habits, and favored my requests. Their rates are affordable, and I highly recommend the Tai Pan Club, which provides private eloquence, and a great place to smoke cigars on the balcony (ask the attendees at the club to move the chairs outside). The rooms have always been clean and well stocked, and when I forgot deodorant it was delivered promptly.

The Spa at the Mandarin is excellent, although I feel it is obnoxiously overpriced. At $250 without tip for a deep tissue massage, and no cancellation (I made my reservation 3 months prior, turns out a meeting I was attending conflicted, could not move, had to pay $250 to get a massage I did not have.

I highly recommend the Mandarin Oriental, and if you had one choice for your stay in D.C. I strongly recommend the Mandarin Oriental. Just be careful of the Spa.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Spa Cancellation
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
3 Thank coold8
Illinois
Reviewed 2 November 2008

Hotel was very nice but there was a fair sized black dead bug in the bathtub when we arrived. There was a separate shower stall so we didn't use the tub but even though the maid changed the towels draped over the tub she failed to see the bug during our entire 4 day stay.

Valet parking was $38 a night plus $5+ tax - totally ridiculous

• Liked — Proximity to attractions
  • Disliked — Ridiculous Prices
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank photog321
Chicago
Reviewed 30 October 2008

Staying at this hotel was really a treat for me. I was on government per diem, and I could imagine that if I paid higher rates I wouldn't be happy, but it's really the best place I've ever stayed on the government dime. The pool and workout rooms are fantastic. I had a beautiful view of the Washington Monument. The bathroom was incredibly spacious with separate tub and shower.
I had a friend visit and when she left in a rainstorm the concierge gave her an umbrella even though she was not a guest. That's great service.

• Liked — Pool and workout room
  • Disliked — Location is a bit removed from most of the city
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank oserica
New York, NY
Reviewed 5 September 2008

My cousin's wedding was at the Mandarin Oriental in mid August and he had reserved rooms at a special rate for his guests ($230 per night, which was the same rate you could have gotten on Mandarin's website for their least expensive room). I was debating whether or not to stay at the L'Enfante Plaza Hotel a few blocks away as it was half the price, but the reviews seemed awful. Furthermore, I was hesitant to book at the Mandarin as the reviews were not what one would expect for a 5-star hotel. However, for convenience's sake, I opted to go with the Mandarin and was very pleased with my decision.

The one thing I noticed immediately was how friendly the staff was, from the doormen to the bellhops to the concierge at the front desk. The one thing that I found annoying about the staff was that, for many of them, their command of the English language was elementary at best. If they were Spanish speaking, I could get by, but they were mostly new immigrants from Ethiopia who had difficulty understanding my requests the first time, so I had to repeat myself several times. However, they made up for it with their warm smiles and courteous attitude. The service from the staff was second to none, which one doesn't normally get at the larger commercial hotels.

The hotel itself was immaculate and the rooms were quite large. Bear in mind that we were most likely staying in the least desirable rooms, as that is what hotels generally warehouse for wedding or convention guests, and still, the room was fantastic. The bathroom was huge and the shower, which was glass enclosed, had ridiculously good water pressure.

I wasn't in town for sightseeing, so I can't really comment on the "location" aspect of the hotel. However, we did go for a nice leisurely stroll to the Jefferson Memorial, which is less than a ten minute walk from the hotel. I noticed that the hotel is within walking distance (15 minutes or less) to many musuems and other tourist destinations.

• Liked — The staff and the cleanliness of the hotel.
  • Disliked — The cost.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
7 Thank MashBoy
Mountain Home, Arkansas
Reviewed 23 August 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Mandarin for business for 3 days. We did not pay for it, but I know that it was very pricey. I don't know that we would go out of our way to stay here again because it was very expensive. Having said that, it was incredibly nice. We were especially impressed with the quality of customer service all the way from the bellboys to the concierge. They always made us feel very regal and special.

Our rooms were very comfortable. We had a corner room that had a nice amount of space in it. I found it strange that at this price range they had mediocre TVs. Also odd, the room did come with a coffee pot. This is something I thought most all hotels offered. Another inconvience (depends on how you look at it) was that they did not ice on the floors. You had to call down for it.

The location of the hotel is phenomenal. You are on the waterfront and also very conveniently located to a metro station which allows you to get anywhere you need to go. You can also get to the heart of DC for about 6.00 cab ride or walk 15 minutes to the mall area with the Smithsonians and Washington Monument. All very convenient from here

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business