Our family stayed at the Mandarin Oriental over the Thanksgiving holiday. As we booked through American Express Platinum, we were upgraded to a waterview view room, with a view of the Jefferson Memorial. Our room was not ready when we arrived, so we grabbed a bite of lunch at the MoZu cafe, which has a great view of the marina. The lobster club sandwich was very good, although the soft drinks were small and expensive. I would recommend that the hotel do away with the little soda bottles.
The room was outfitted with two double beds. Two queen beds would have been better. The beds were adequate, with soft duvets. The TV was a standard TV, not the flat screen that you usually see in most five star hotels now. The bathroom was great, all marble, with a separate soaking tub and shower. Good vanity space and a nice makeup light made the bathroom top-quality.
The spa at the MO was four if not five star. Spa use is free, which is much appreciated. There is a large "vitality pool" (hot spa), an amethyst steam room, and a special themed shower. The workout facilities were great, and the lap pool was nice. My only complaint was that both the hot spa and pool were a bit too cold, and water was not available on one visit.
There are two restaurants and one bar at the hotel. The bar is outstanding. Although drinks are expensive as they are at most five star hotels these days, you are presented with a huge bowl full of olives and nuts to enjoy with your drink. Drinks were very well made to boot. Therefore, you really felt like you were getting your money's worth at the bar.
City Zen is a smaller, top-of-the-line restaurant catering to the prix fixe crowd. We had drinks and cheese at the bar when the lobby bar was booked for a party. Cafe MoZu has an awesome breakfast ($20 per person credit if you book through AMEX), but dinner was just OK. I had black cod for dinner, which tasted a little less than perfectly fresh.
We really liked the location of the Mandarin Oriental. It is just a five or ten minute walk to the museums. It is especially close to the Holocaust Museum. There also is a Starbucks across the street, which is nice.
Staff at the hotel were exceptionally nice. Service there is just flawless.
Overall, we would stay at the Mandarin Oriental again next time we are in Washington, DC.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Summer is when the Nation’s Capital is most welcoming. Visitors can fill their itineraries with fun outdoor festivals, live concerts, thought-provoking museum exhibits, professional sports, along with some of the world’s most recognized monuments and the nation’s most cherished memorials. As Washington’s only hotel featuring views of the monuments and the water, Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC is at the center of everything. Now featuring dramatically refreshed luxury guestrooms, MO is located just steps from the Jefferson Memorial and the beautiful cherry tree-lined Tidal Basin. Our honored guests also enjoy very short walks to the National Mall, museums of the Smithsonian Institution, Washington Monument, and the White House. Business travelers will appreciate swift transfers between Ronald Reagan National Airport, Union Station, U.S. Capitol, and House and Senate Office Buildings. Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group is famous for providing legendary service, excellent dining, arresting design, and immersive spas that rejuvenate body and mind. Our hotel presents you with an experience that is uniquely Washington and always mindful of our oriental heritage. Are you a fan? ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Mandarin Oriental, Expedia, Ebookers, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mandarin Oriental, Washington d.c. Hotel Washington Dc
- Mandarin Oriental Hotel Washington Dc
- Mandarin Oriental Washington Dc
- Mandarin Washington Dc
- Washington Dc Mandarin Oriental