This hotel might have water views but it has been built on land wedged between a freeway on one side and a freight railway line on another. It is also poorly soundproofed resulting in either traffic noise for the waterview rooms or freight train noise, including the horn sounding, for other rooms. Even when there is an otherwise quiet period, it is inevitably interrupted by noise in adjacent rooms or in the corridor. I did not sleep well on my first night due to road works on the freeway being performed all night long. The hotel should have known about this.
The service is patchy. On check-in at 6pm I was shown a nice room on a high floor with waterview and the Jefferson memorial in the distance. But after unpacking I was informed that I was being moved elsewhere due to someone else having reserved the room! The room they attempted to move me to was darker and in a less desirable wing with restricted views. I rejected the room and after much negotiation was "upgraded" to a suite in the same wing, but with only a King bed and not twin beds as booked. The roller bed was comfortable though.
There is only one bank of elevators serving both wings of the hotel, resulting in lengthy walks if you are in the wrong wing (like I was). The hotel also needs some up dating as far as soft furnishings. Also, one of the towels in my "suite" was threadbare. The gym is adequate and the pool is great. The breakfasts are ordinary 4 star fare.
Overall, the hotel is located on the wrong side of the Mall although it is in within easy walking distance of the Smithsonian Science museums.
I was on a amex platinum package, but the price was outrageous considering this hotel, despite its name, is no 5 star hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Summer is when the Nation’s Capital is most welcoming. Visitors can fill their itineraries with fun outdoor festivals, live concerts, thought-provoking museum exhibits, professional sports, along with some of the world’s most recognized monuments and the nation’s most cherished memorials. As Washington’s only hotel featuring views of the monuments and the water, Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC is at the center of everything. Now featuring dramatically refreshed luxury guestrooms, MO is located just steps from the Jefferson Memorial and the beautiful cherry tree-lined Tidal Basin. Our honored guests also enjoy very short walks to the National Mall, museums of the Smithsonian Institution, Washington Monument, and the White House. Business travelers will appreciate swift transfers between Ronald Reagan National Airport, Union Station, U.S. Capitol, and House and Senate Office Buildings. Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group is famous for providing legendary service, excellent dining, arresting design, and immersive spas that rejuvenate body and mind. Our hotel presents you with an experience that is uniquely Washington and always mindful of our oriental heritage. Are you a fan? ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Mandarin Oriental, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Odigeo, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mandarin Oriental, Washington d.c. Hotel Washington Dc
- Mandarin Oriental Hotel Washington Dc
- Mandarin Oriental Washington Dc
- Mandarin Washington Dc
- Washington Dc Mandarin Oriental