As a first-time visitor to Washington D.C., I ordered a city view room but ended up with a river view room. We didn't fuss with them over this because it was all new to me anyway. So now I can tell you that the river view rooms are sunny (south facing), overlook the hotel terrace garden and the tidal basis of the Potomac. Except that your view includes lots of cars and freeways.
It's a very easy walk from the hotel's front door to the Mall, especially to the Freer and Sackler museums. The Smithsonian subway station is only 2 blocks (long ones) away. This station gets you onto two lines: the blue and the orange. You can get to Georgetown real quickly on the subway.
The neighborhood is quiet at night and weekends because the surroundings are all office buildings. In that sense, there is no urban street life. You'll be glad that the hotel has a great bar with live jazz and two really great restaurants. We had several dinners at the hotel. And the breakfast buffet is delicious. And there are always taxis outside the beautiful lobby to take you away.
For a downtown location near the Mall, I would definitely stay here again. The property is beautiful and stylish.
The only minus was that there were a lot of children in the hotel. It might just have been because of the school break. Let's hope they keep this place for adults.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Summer is when the Nation’s Capital is most welcoming. Visitors can fill their itineraries with fun outdoor festivals, live concerts, thought-provoking museum exhibits, professional sports, along with some of the world’s most recognized monuments and the nation’s most cherished memorials. As Washington’s only hotel featuring views of the monuments and the water, Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC is at the center of everything. Now featuring dramatically refreshed luxury guestrooms, MO is located just steps from the Jefferson Memorial and the beautiful cherry tree-lined Tidal Basin. Our honored guests also enjoy very short walks to the National Mall, museums of the Smithsonian Institution, Washington Monument, and the White House. Business travelers will appreciate swift transfers between Ronald Reagan National Airport, Union Station, U.S. Capitol, and House and Senate Office Buildings. Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group is famous for providing legendary service, excellent dining, arresting design, and immersive spas that rejuvenate body and mind. Our hotel presents you with an experience that is uniquely Washington and always mindful of our oriental heritage. Are you a fan? ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Mandarin Oriental, Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mandarin Oriental, Washington d.c. Hotel Washington Dc
- Mandarin Oriental Hotel Washington Dc
- Mandarin Oriental Washington Dc
- Mandarin Washington Dc
- Washington Dc Mandarin Oriental