“Wonderful Hotel”

Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC
Ranked #13 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 1 November 2010

We stayed for a long weekend bringing my son down to an internship in DC. The hotel was lovely, the rooms tastefully appointed. We had requested a water view and asked if we could be moved to view the Jefferson Memorial. They were unable to accommodate our request the first evening, but did move us to better rooms for the remainder of our stay.
The lounge area with the live Jazz was fantastic, but like most DC venues, drinks are not inexpensive. The service was exceptional.
We did eat dinner at the hotel one evening and unfortunately, I can not recommend it. The menu was too limited and the food in general was just not good - nor was it worth the price.
The Hotel has a great fitness area, spacious, clean and well appointed. The pool was empty at the time I went to work out, so that was a nice treat. The pool and surrounding areas were very clean and neat.
The spa area, however, could use a facelift. The locker room and jacuzzi were lacking for a hotel of this staus. The jacuzzi and sauna looked old and tired, and many mosaic tiles were missing in the jacuzzi. Two other things to note, parking is expensive - park off site if you can, and internet access is not free - but $15 per day - not something I would expect to pay for at a hotel of this type.
All in all, the service and rooms are wonderful, with just a few areas of improvement needed.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank mcslabs
There are newer reviews for Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC

Reviewed 26 October 2010

I have been staying at mandarin Oriental in New York last few months frequently and I like it very much. And I was recently traveled to Washington DC and decided to stay Mandarin oriental Washington as well. No doubt Hotel has one of the location in Washington, I have stayed at executive room where the living room and bedroom was separate (this is the only upside of this hotel). When I checked in. The room smelled smoke of cigarettes (Room 626) funny I have find a small ashtray full of 10-15 small ladies cigarettes right on the small balcony (great small balcony). I went down and informed the reception they assured me that they would take care of it , i have returned my room 4 hours later and nothing was done... I would never stay in Washington Mandarin oriental again but continue to stay at their New York location.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank samikohen
Reviewed 24 October 2010

We've stayed at Mandarin hotels around the Pacific and were taken aback by the inconsistent and often poor service here. The physical hotel and the room were up to par; service was not. The breakfast buffet was limited and poor, and the table service was slow and forgetful. The hotel offers "complimentary shoe cleaning"; they polished my wife's suede shoes, ruining them. I counted 42 rings before the front desk answers on a simple wake up request. The contrast with their hotels in Singapore and Bangkok was stark, and not favorable. For the price (top dollar) we expected better.

• Stayed: October 2010
3  Thank Juneauite
MOWashingtonDCHotel, Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2010

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C.

Kind Regards,
Robert Lowe, Resident Manager

Reviewed 20 October 2010

Now, don't get me wrong, this hotel and it's public areas are fantastic, maybe I completely 'lucked out' with my room location.

I was on the first floor in the corner room right above the train tracks... You can guess what I am going to say... Woken up by the 05:30 chugging in every morning and late at night by the 11pm chugging out.

I would still recommend the hotel though as it was in a brilliant place for early morning runs around Washington DC followed by a swim in the super pool.

If it was not for the corporate rates, I would have never stayed here so enquire before you pay $600 per night or whatever the rate card is.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Wiley_Coyotee
Reviewed 14 October 2010

Although tricky to get to, good location within walking distance of most of the stuff you come to DC to see. Seemed pricey, although you are at the mercy of availability most of the time in DC..

Drugstore right next door is nice if you need any essentials and don't want to pay hotel prices.

Not sure about the views in the rooms. I was told I got a room with a good view, but it faced a small courtyard and another buliding instead of the water. Common area in the back of the hotel had a nice garden and sitting area.

Overall keep it on your short list, but make sure you get a good deal.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank joeyjojo77
Reviewed 12 October 2010

Loved it. Slick, efficient and friendly. We worried it might be too corporate for a baby but the staff could not have been more welcoming. Our daughter loved the pool and the sliding doors in reception in equal parts. My wife didn't want to leave the spa. I was all for Citizen restaurant: each dish an art form, ideal spot for some adult time with well-chosen food and wine.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 October 2010

The rooms are large and comfortable.. The beds and bedding excellent. The bathrooms large, ours had both a shower and a large bath. Desk worked well. Internet (ethernet + wireless) $15/day.

The staff and service levels let this hotel down.

We arrived late at night and tried to get some food - room service was very slow - we were on hold for at least 10 minutes before we gave up and rang the front desk. Once we ordered, food took at least 30 minutes.

Concierge desk produced random results. One was very helpful and delivered quick results. Another had very little initiative .

Restaurant staff also produced random results. Some were very friendly and keen to please and deliver, whereas others had no idea. The maitre d' always seemed bewildered and not really sure what to do.

Bar staff likewise sometimes delivered, and sometimes not.

Front desk capable and friendly.

The hotel location is in a quiet area, a few blocks from the Smithsonian museums. A short cab ride to the busy central areas was no problem for us, but if you want to be in the middle of the action this is not your place.

Management needs to find staff who are motivated and understand what good service is.

Overall, probably did not represent value for the price. Make the service more consistent to earn a recommendation.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
MOWashingtonDCHotel, Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2010

Dear FrostyOz, Thank you for taking the time to review your experience. We are very sorry to hear of your displeasure and apologize for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay. Please do not hestiate to contact me directly at 202-787-6112. I look forward to speaking with you. Kind Regards, Robert Lowe, Resident Manager