“Solid, affordable option for groups”

Kellogg Conference Hotel at Gallaudet University
Ranked #113 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Marina del Rey, California
“Solid, affordable option for groups”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We had a work project requiring 20 rooms. This property, on the campus of Gallaudet University, suited us well. The hotel is far from fancy and is probably closer to upscale dorms. But it's clean, the staff was very helpful, the wifi was fast and the free shuttle to Union Station was appreciated. If you are coming to see the sights of Washington, it's not exactly where you want to be. It's quite safe since you are in the middle of a campus, but the surrounding neighborhood is iffy. Using the shuttle would be recommended, especially at night.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Clement G, Manager at Kellogg Conference Hotel at Gallaudet University, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Thank you for your review. I am glad to read that you had a positive stay experience. We understand traveling can sometimes be a hassle so we strive to offer a stress free stay to all of our guests.

I am glad that we have met your expectations. The hotel caters a lot of groups and events in a year. Many of our guests enjoy having the option of walking to the Metro/mall or taking the complimentary shuttle.

Thank you for your nice compliments of our conference staff. I will certainly relay your message to our concern manager.

clement.gomes@gallaudet.edu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Set on the campus of gallaudet this peaceful hotel is comfortable and clean. Most people here are deaf. But very welcoming
More of a business center than recreational. Shuttle bus to union station is free.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your review so others can benefit from your experience.

We are fortunate to be in such a convenient location for all the reasons that you mentioned. Many of our guests enjoy having the option of walk inside the campus. I am glad our location was convenient for your needs.

Dothan, Alabama, United States
Reviewed 2 May 2014

The location of the Kellogg Conference Hotel is beautifully located on the Gallaudet campus. The hotel was very quite and would have been beautiful to run through campus had it not been down pouring the entire trip. Amenities in the hotel were sufficient, staff was attentive, and food was delicious. The conference I attended was 4 days long and the event staff worked tirelessly to make it run smoothly from the space to the food service. When I wanted to leave the campus a shuttle was conveniently available to go to Union Station to do some shopping, sightseeing, or get on the metro. On our last night, instead of heading into the elements, My friend and I decided to eat in the lounge/bar and the server was friendly, made great cocktails, and we watched him make our appetizers from scratch. It was a great place to hold a conference nod I would certainly plan on staying here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for sharing your review so others can benefit from your experience. We are fortunate to be in such a convenient location for all the reasons that you mentioned. Many of our guests enjoy having the option of walking to the Metro/mall or taking the complimentary shuttle. I am glad our location was convenient for your needs.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We stayed there for one night my daughter goes to college at Gallaudet. Which is the deaf University in Washington DC. The campus is very pretty and they have free shuttle to union station. It is a close walk to H St. which has places to eat. The hotel also has a shuttle that you may take to downtown DC. Rooms are a nice size and very clean this last time we even had a refrigerator in our room. I do not think all rooms have refrigerators. I got a good rate on Expedia.

Room Tip: We had a room on the fifth for this last time and had an awesome view of the capital.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank loves_vacations103

It is nice to read that you liked the room. Regarding refrigerator, if you let us know early, we might provide you one.

Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I had the opportunity to stay at Kellogg Conference Hotel at Gallaudet University March 2014. As I was there to visit Gallaudet University and take an exam, it was in an ideal location. I was able to explore campus day and night. It is beautiful!!! The best part is that the majority of the hotel staff sign and are used to Deaf visitors and staff.

As the hotel primarily caters to large groups who regularly reserve the hotel dining areas for their private functions, it was difficult to eat regular meals at the hotel. However, when food was available, it was abundant (buffet-style) as well as excellent. The chef is absolutely terrific! As it was Spring break, the regular eateries on campus were also closed. There is a wonderful Washington, DC food court behind the hotel, but the side gate was only open during the day and closed after regular business hours. The food choices there were excellent.

The hotel rooms were comfortable and very nice. We were in two different rooms, as the plumbing to the shower/bath in the first room had problems and flooded the hallway as they tried to fix it. We were moved to a different room on the other side. The rooms had the same amenities and were equally comfortable. The TVs had channels broadcasting Gallaudet channels, which were run in ASL. They showed the opportunities on campus. My personal favorite was the Gallaudet channel, which showed presentations held on campus by researchers in the field of deafness.

If you take the time to look at the pictures on the walls in the room, the hallways, and the lobby, you will be able to view the history of Gallaudet University and Deaf people. My favorite work of art was in the lobby, close to the conference room. The title is Milan, Italy 1880, where educators met and decided to ban sign language in the classrooms, thus beginning the era of the Dark Ages for Deaf Education.

Room Tip: Having had the chance to try two different rooms on opposite sides of the Hotel, I would say that th...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for sharing your review so others can benefit from your experience. We are fortunate to be in such a convenient location for all the reasons that you mentioned. Many of our guests enjoy having the option of walking inside the university and I am glad our location was convenient for your needs.

It is nice to read that you had a good room service experience and your room met your expectations. I will convey your comments to our chef.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 24 February 2014

My sister and I stayed for New Years Eve, when the campus was shut down so the whole place was very quiet. It was clean, beds were comfortable, and staff was very friendly. They gave me the number of a taxi service when I asked. The shuttle to Union Station only operates when the University is open, but they were apologetic and friendly about it. Taxi was less than $10 from the station to the hotel (don't remember the exact amount). Unfortunately taxis were extremely hard to find outside the university, but that may have been a normal thing in DC or just because it was New Years Eve. Only drawback is the walls are pretty thin so you can hear any unusual noises next door (not conversations). Has a cute fountain in the lobby and a little 24 hour shop with essentials and some food. I would definitely stay here again, and the value was great!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Emily M
Clement G, Manager at Kellogg Conference Hotel at Gallaudet University, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. It is nice to read that you and your sister had such an enjoyable stay. I am glad you took advantage of our excellent location.

Many of our guests enjoy having the option of walking to the Metro/mall or taking the complimentary shuttle. I am sorry as Gallaudet University shuttle usually dont operate in holidays. But we are looking into it for an alternate solution so that guest can avail the complimentary service. I am glad that our colleague offer your assitance to get a taxi.

Thank you for your nice comments abou the staff and the outtakes (24 hours Shop). We sale only the healthy choice of foods in outtakes.

Thank you again for your review and I hope you return soon! As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime. I really appreciate your time to give your comments.

NJ
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I was pleasantly surprised at how decent this hotel was for the price point. I never stayed at a hotel on a college campus, so I didnt know what the expect . The hotel was clean and had modern decor. Staff, including campus public safety, were very patient, pleasant and helpful . The location was close enough to lounges and monuments. I would definitely stay here again when I am in DC!

• Stayed January 2014
Clement G, Manager at Kellogg Conference Hotel at Gallaudet University, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Thank you for your review. We are happy and honored that you have chosen to make the Kellogg Conference Hotel at Gallaudet in Washington DC your choice hotel when you travel to the DC area. Please know we do not take your decision for granted and will continue to work hard to exceed your expectations.

Thank you once again for your comments on our staffs. We will definitely look forward to welcome you again in our hotel.

I really appreciate your time.

Kellogg Conference Hotel