“Good way to see the city after running a marathon!”

Smithsonian National Mall Tours
Ranked #39 of 139 Tours in Washington DC
More attraction details
Owner description: Ride beside history! Prepared in consultation with Smithsonian experts, this premiere Segway tour highlights the architecture, art, culture, and history of Washington, DC's National Mall and many of Smithsonian's famed museums. Hear the many stories behind DC's landmarks and most famous national treasures on this three hour tour. Covering over 1,000 acres of the National Mall and Memorial Parks, this is DC's only tour that departs directly from the Mall at the National Museum of American History. Must be at least 16 years old to participate. (Min. weight 100lbs, max 260lbs).
West Des Moines, Iowa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good way to see the city after running a marathon!”
Reviewed 10 December 2013

This was our first Segway tour, we were relieved that the Segways were easy and very fun to ride around!
Our tour guide was friendly, laid-back, and knowledgeable. As easy to ride as the Segways are, our guide over-estimated our ability on the Segway and lost us a couple times at intersections because he was going fast enough that not all of us could keep up when trying to manuever around poles, curbs, or get through the stop light... He didn't bother to stop after crossing the street to see if we were still behind him.
You have to put your trust in the other Segway riders, as riders get comfortable quickly and seem to stop paying attention to what they are doing. We had some trying to take video/pics while we were riding and one person fell off as a result. Luckily, we had only the one incident.
Definitely recommend a tour during the weekday- people don't seem to want to step aside when Segways are coming through; I couldn't imagine trying to ride this through the crowd on a busy Saturday afternoon.
It's a great way to see the city very quickly. We had just ran the Marine Corps Marathon the day before so it was a great "recovery" activity.
We spend a long break off the Segways in the middle of the tour that was back at the starting point- Nat'l Museum of American History to grab a snack and use the restrooms. This break, along with the Lincoln Memorial break would have worked out just fine to have shorten a bit and let us get off the Segways to walk around the WWII Memorial and/or Vietnam Memorial too.
I give it an average rating, it was a fun thing to do, fun to check it off the bucket list! It wasn't something that I would consider doing again but I'm satisfied that we tried it at least once.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank J-me H

Vancouver, Canada
“Amazing.”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Had a great time. Was my first time in Washington DC and what a way to start off the sight-seeing. The segway was easy to use and a blast, and the tour was both fun, funny (stories), and informative. Our guide, Lee, was very friendly, laid-back, and informative (perfect!). Was a 3hour tour but didn't feel long at all. I could have done a longer tour:)

1 Thank 206Gemma
Atlanta, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful time on Simthsonian Tours by Segway!”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

The Smithsonian Tour by Segway was great - The tour guide was very knowledgeable of the sites we saw on the tour and the product - The Segways were easy to ride- We were able to see so much more!!

1 Thank Theresa W
Detroit, Michigan
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great way to see the mall.”
Reviewed 20 November 2013

We took the tour as our first activity upon arrival. Our guide was very knowledgeable and friendly and recommended other things we could visit as well as best restaurants and other tours. We used the information to plan the remainder of our visit. i can not recommend the Smithsonian Segway Tours enough.

1 Thank j z
New York, New York, United States
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“This was a Highlight”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

What fun! I took a Smithsonian Tours by Segway tour with Lee as my guide. He was knowledgeable and friendly. He took me to a number of attractions I had not yet visited including all the war memorials. He not only gave me facts, but had stories to liven things up. But the real fun is the segway. I didn't know what to expect, but it's easy and fun. I took to it immediately with very little trouble. I took the 1-1/2 tour and am not sure I would want to take a longer one. You are standing all the time. But 1-1/2 hours was just fine. I absolutely recommend both the company and the experience. It so happened it was Halloween so I got to see all the kids lined up at the White House with their costumes on.

Visited October 2013