“Luxury hotel in the heart of Georgetown”

Rosewood Washington, D.C.
Ranked #94 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
London, United Kingdom
“Luxury hotel in the heart of Georgetown”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

We arrived from the UK, jet lagged and not familiar with the Capella hotels. After navigating Friday night traffic it was a relief to get to the calm, quiet and luxury of this wonderful hotel.

The good:
Hotel room - very chic
Staff - very friendly and helpful
Location - just off M street in the heart of Georgetown.
The restaurant - very good food and surprisingly innovative for a hotel restaurant with an interesting menu

Downsides:
Price - not cheap
Bathroom - the shower was a bit mean for the quality of the room

We only spent one night here and know where to book next time we are in DC.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank soleni
CapellaWashingtonDC, General Manager at Rosewood Washington, D.C., responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Greetings soleni,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel and provide us with such positive and generous feedback regarding your first stay. It gives me great pleasure to read that our service team, luxury guest rooms and accommodations gave you such a welcoming and comfortable feeling after traveling all the way from the UK. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed dining at our restaurant, The Grill Room and that you enjoyed the contemporary American cuisine. On the other hand, I do apologize that our price value and shower accommodations did not live up to your expectations. However, we very much appreciate that you will be returning when your travels next bring you to Washington, D.C. Thank you again for choosing Capella Hotels!

Alex Obertop

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Michigan
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Am enjoying my first night of a two night stay. This place is awesome. Terrific location, excellent service, beautiful room, more than adequate gym, and what looks like a cool bar (although I haven't been inside/just looked in). This place is all class. I'm on a business trip and called my wife in Colorado and told her we need to come back together. First Class all the way.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank annarbor007
Greetings annarbor007,

Thank you for posting this lovely review of your recent stay at our Capella Hotel in Georgetown. I am delighted to read that you had such an incredible experience and enjoyed our service team and welcoming accommodations. We are very much looking forward to your return in the near future!

Munich, Germany
Reviewed 14 November 2013

As a former Washington DC-area resident who long ago moved to Europe to enjoy the comforts and cuisines of the old world, I find visiting DC to be a unique and sometimes frustrating experience. Everything closes far too early (try having dinner after 10pm), restaurants come and go in the blink of an eye, and the inconsistencies in quality and service among DC's "finer hotels" can be mind-boggling (i.e., there is no explanation for the decay of Georgetown Ritz Carlton -- hopefully someone will do a post-mortem to establish a cause of death for this once-acceptable hotel). This familiarity and unease with Washington DC underpins my pleasure in posting a most favorable review of the newly opened Capella Washington DC in Georgetown. I am new to this property and this brand, so discovering this gem in Washington was a pleasant surprise. Everything has been thought of here, including the separation of the bar and restaurant (both superb) from the guest reception and registration area, which is accessible only to guests of the hotel. No local foot traffic or lux-curious tourists milling about as you check in, much less reporters or photographers. It's exclusive, without being complex. The guest rooms are spacious, elegant and contemporary (and I adored the huge soaking tub separate from the expansive shower). The staff is professional and responsive, without the typically-annoying-American "have a nice day" at every turn. And the menu at the grill room is first rate. An excellent choice for dinning, whether a guest or not, but if you are lodging in Washington, be a guest. This is the place to be in DC and I look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank EuroMM1
Greetings EuroMM1,

Thank you so much for sharing this incredible review of our Capella Hotel in Georgetown on TripAdvisor. We highly appreciate everything you mentioned regarding our exclusive accommodations and services, elegant and spacious guest rooms and the luxurious environments throughout the hotel. All of our staff members feel honored to have been able to serve you and provide you with a unique and memorable experience to remember. I wish you a wonderful holiday season ahead and when your travels next bring you to our Nation's Capital, I certainly look forward to your return. It has been an absolute pleasure.

San Francisco
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We had a marvelous stay at the Capella. From the moment we arrived until we left they took fabulous care of us. My wife misplaced her purse which we eventually located at a nearby restaurant where we'd dined the night before. It was the morning of her Mother;s funeral and she was upset. Everyone at the Capella pitched in to look, and made her feel much better. In the course of the search they found broken glass in the trunk of our car where we had broken a photo the night before- cleaned it all without a comment. They found the purse during the funeral and when we came back it was sitting in our room - they had gone and fetched it from the restaurant and everyone beamed at my wife when we came back.

We also found a nice note from management expressing condolences with pots of special calming herb tea and snacks set up at night in our room before we went to bad- which was the perfect touch.

Rooms were lovely, the apogee of luxury - excellent electronics, espresso/tea maker, comp soft drinks in the fridge, nuts and madelines set out as snacks each day, comfy bed,nice linens and pillows, quiet rooms, great waterfall shower- when we asked for a room with a tub, voila! Lovely designer tub in bathroom. I love the ability to check in and out when you please- all high end hotels should adopt that policy.

Great bar with interesting beverages- try the concoction in the giant beaker made of cognac, herb liqueur and other ingredients- very tasty after dinner drink-

lounge on roof looks great weather permitting- tables outside restaurant on canal would be wonderful in Spring and summer- breakfast at restaurant superb, first perfectly cooked French style omelet I've had in States in a long time, just delicious -

We are from DC and grew up in Georgetown and was strange to come back and stay in a hotel- but Capella was simply the cherry on top- superb. As global travelers who have sampled many a fine lodge we must say Capella was as good as any on Earth- maybe better!

Thank you again to everyone from the doorman to the managers and staff who made us so welcome .

Room Tip: parking is expensive- on weekends its possible to find a spot nearby on the street later in the even...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ramblingman50
CapellaWashingtonDC, General Manager at Rosewood Washington, D.C., responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Greetings Ramblingman50,

First and for most we want to thank you for sharing with us your incredible experience on TripAdvisor, even after suffering from the loss of your wife's beloved Mother. Again, we would like to express our deepest condolences to you and your family during this tough time. I am so pleased to hear that your wife's belongings were recovered and placed back into your guest room safe and sound and that you both loved the calming herb tea that hopefully gave you a sense of home away from home.

At Capella Hotels, we promise to deliver reliable, genuinely caring and timely service superior to our competition, with respected and empowered employees who work in an environment of belonging and purpose. I am honored that you and your wife were able to experience exactly this concept from the moment you arrived to the moment we bid you farewell. We are especially thankful that you chose our hotel given that you are both locals in the Georgetown neighborhood. We look forward to the day you return, when we have the gracious opportunity to serve and delight you both for many years to come.

West New York, New Jersey
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Stayed the weekend and had a fabulous experience. Staff was friendly and addressed me by my name. Loved their contemporary décor. Was upgraded to nicer room upon arrival. Bedding and pillows were heavenly ! Great location, close to M street with tons of shopping, restaurant/bars. Rooftop was great. Wish I would've brought my bathing suit to hit the heated infinity pool. Well , I'll just have to go back in the spring.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Maria V
Greetings Maria V,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback regarding your most recent stay with us at Capella Washington, D.C. I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your luxury guest room accommodations, personalized greetings from our Personal Assistants, and incredible location in the heart of Georgetown. We will look forward to your speedy return this spring when you have the opportunity to try out our infinity pool!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We had dinner at the Grill at this elegant new hotel in Washington, which was almost empty at 8:30 pm. The staff is as friendly as one would expect in a very expensive hotel and the lobby is sleek. The food was good, but ridiculously expensive. We were greeted by a friendly champagne sommelier who offered us a variety of champagnes, never mentioning the prices which went to $48 per GLASS. The main courses were fine - the braised short rib especially tasty - but there was not a one on the menu for under $32, and nothing light. The menu could use expanding - especially for a sunday night supper. We won't return.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank mkg2805
CapellaWashingtonDC, Manager at Rosewood Washington, D.C., responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Greetings mkg2805,

Thank you for your sincere feedback regarding your most recent visit. I am delighted to read that you enjoy our properties luxurious decor, friendly service team, and cuisine; however, I am terribly disappointed to learn that the rest of your experience fell far below your expectations.

I regret to learn about the series of inconveniences you encountered regarding your check, especially with regards to the lack of communication regarding pricing of champagne and menu items. I am terribly sorry that these valuable lessons have come at your expense.

I would like the opportunity to personally apologize to you and discuss what we can do to amend our mistakes and have you visit with us again. I can be contacted at will.rentschler@capellahotels.com, or alternatively, my direct number is (202) 617-2422.

I look forward to the opportunity to regain your faith in our ability to properly serve you and our locals in Georgetown and Washington, DC.

Will Rentschler
Food & Beverage Manager
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Stayed at the Capella for 2 nights and would most definately love to return. The staff just couldn't do enough for us, they were very smart, friendly and very professional.
I've stayed at quite a few hotels and this is probably the one that stands out the most for me. It has a home from home feel to it. The lounge is lovely if you have had a busy day, here you can just sit and relax with a drink. The restaurant offers amazing food and equaly fabulous service by staff.
Rooftop bar is great after being out during the day too, unwind on one of the many couches they have.
The hotel is very clean and the room offers everything you need from tea, coffee, soft drinks, bath robe and slippers.
I must say it is a nice change from the larger chain hotels as the Capella has a slightly more personal touch to it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Pierce22
CapellaWashingtonDC, General Manager at Rosewood Washington, D.C., responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Greetings Pierce22,

We highly appreciate your generous review and kind feedback of our hotel on TripAdvisor. I am thrilled that we are able to create such a unique and personalized experience for you. Thank you so much for giving us the pleasure to graciously and efficiently assist you throughout your stay. I will be sure to pass along the wonderful feedback you mentioned about our service team. We will look forward to welcoming you back very soon to celebrate many more occasions when your travels next bring you to Washington D.C.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington DC
Georgetown
The Ritz-Carlton Georgetown, Washington, D.C.
Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End
Four Seasons Hotel Washington, DC
The Ritz-Carlton, Tysons Corner
#1 of 14 in Tysons Corner
Dupont Circle
The St. Regis Washington, D.C.
The St. Regis Washington, D.C.
#24 of 141 in Washington DC
Dupont Circle
The Jefferson, Washington DC
The Jefferson, Washington DC
#5 of 141 in Washington DC

Been to Rosewood Washington, D.C.? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Rosewood Washington, D.C.

Property: Rosewood Washington, D.C.
Address: 1050 31st St NW, Washington DC, DC 20007-4405 (Formerly Capella Washington D.C., Georgetown)
Region: United States > District of Columbia > Washington DC > Georgetown
Bar / Lounge Business Centre with Internet Access Fitness Centre with Gym / Workout Room Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Children Activities (Kid / Family Friendly) Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Restaurant Room Service Suites Swimming Pool
Ranked #94 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): ££££
Hotel Class:5 star — Rosewood Washington, D.C. 5*
Situated in the heart of Georgetown along the historic C&O Canal, Rosewood Washington, D.C. presents an intimate & luxurious 49 guest rooms & suites, meticulously designed to provide you with a soothing haven from the day's activities. Our prime location offers guests premium access to Washington, D.C.'s vibrant cultural center, rich with museums and galleries, specialty shopping and unique dining options. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Rosewood Washington, D.C. reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.