“AMAZING stay for grand occasion ”

Rosewood Washington, D.C.
Ranked #88 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Queens, NY
“AMAZING stay for grand occasion ”
Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

Hello,

I had the most incredible hotel experience at the Capella hands down!!!!!

My mother works at the Hotel Fairfax in DuPont and I've stayed at hotels all over the world. The Capella was by far the most amazing experience I've ever had and I truly hope whoever is reading this strongly considers staying at this hotel.

The moment my companion and I arrived we were greeted by Luis (concierge) who went above and beyond to make sure our luggage was taken to the rooms, gave us a quick tour of the restaurant/bar and guided us to the hotel lobby...from there Michelle and Ester took excellent care of us. I mean EXCELLENT!!! I am still in shock of the treatment we received. Everything from walking in the doors with smiles from the doorman, Samson, who even offered me his coat when I stepped out for a cigarette....to Danielle, Yure and Lu who provided a professional and friendly dining experience!!!!! I mean seriously who does that??!?!?! My own bf doesn't do that lol!!! Just kidding :)

We were pretty beat so upon checking in, we wanted to take a quick nap before hitting the town. Housekeeping came by and placed refreshments and biscuits by our bedsides as well as slippers and fresh towels. She asked me several times if there was anything else I needed...I had a severe cold so she took it upon herself to bring me hot tea. Wow!!! I apologize as her name escapes me. How sweet and touching that was...

For dinner we had lots of tea, oysters, yellowfin tuna tartar and for our entree we shared a 40 day aged rib eye. Lu was phenomenal and provided quick service and a friendly dining experience. He was prompt and made sure to check on us just enough....not too much, not too less!!!

Given it was thanksgiving day and not too many folks were checking in, we were easily able to extend check out til 2pm which was great so we could sleep in. Our room was far more than spacious and grand. With a bathroom you could die for. I would have been fine even sleeping in that beautiful tub. My boyfriend was even upset with me since I spent more time in that shower than with him lol! I couldn't leave it, it was so.....refreshing, clean, beautiful....!!!

So prior to leaving we had a Thanksgiving brunch at the hotel. Again excellent quality food prepared by the chef and great service by Danielle and Yure!!!! Sorry if I misspelled your names. The managers and head of restaurant checked on us once or twice, asked us how our stay was and made sure we knew if we needed ANYTHING not to hesitate to ask.

With all this said, we truly had an amazing experience. I don't think anything will ever compare. I hope I get a chance in the near future to stay here again.

Make sure you deal with Alex or Michael....Michael in the sales department arranged everything for us and guaranteed us customer satisfaction all the way.

Alex---if you read this please know each and every person listed above is representing your hotel in the finest manner!!!!!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Arushiphull83
CapellaWashingtonDC, General Manager at Rosewood Washington, D.C., responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Greetings Arushiphull83,

Thank you so much for your fantastic review regarding your stay in late November. It is a pleasure to read that you had such an incredible experience and enjoyed our personalized service, delicious food & beverage in The Grill Room, and our comfortable and luxurious accommodations. We highly appreciate your kind and generous words regarding your interactions with myself and Michael. We are very much looking forward to the day you both return to your Capella Hotel in Georgetown!

Alex Obertop

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
London
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Looks great, feels great, service excellent. Food in the restaurant was very good.

Would definitely go back to this very pretty and personal feeling hotel. Great location - just off the main road in George Town.

The decor is obviously a personal taste thing but I loved it as did my family. If I were to make one minor comment it would be to change the room corridors to make it even more atmospheric as they are just white. But. That's all. The rest is great!
I wish I could remember some of the names of the staff as they were so helpful and friendly. I think Lisa was the first contact for us and she was excellent. Thank you.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Gary B
CapellaWashingtonDC, General Manager at Rosewood Washington, D.C., responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Greetings Gary B,

We highly appreciate your generous review and kind feedback of our hotel and service team on TripAdvisor. I am thrilled that we are able to create such a unique and memorable experience for you. Thank you for giving us the pleasure to graciously and efficiently assist you and your family throughout your visit. Your loyalty and support are highly valued and appreciated. We will look forward to welcoming each you back very soon to celebrate many more occasions when your travels next bring you to Washington D.C.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2013

We arrived from the UK, jet lagged and not familiar with the Capella hotels. After navigating Friday night traffic it was a relief to get to the calm, quiet and luxury of this wonderful hotel.

The good:
Hotel room - very chic
Staff - very friendly and helpful
Location - just off M street in the heart of Georgetown.
The restaurant - very good food and surprisingly innovative for a hotel restaurant with an interesting menu

Downsides:
Price - not cheap
Bathroom - the shower was a bit mean for the quality of the room

We only spent one night here and know where to book next time we are in DC.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank soleni
Greetings soleni,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel and provide us with such positive and generous feedback regarding your first stay. It gives me great pleasure to read that our service team, luxury guest rooms and accommodations gave you such a welcoming and comfortable feeling after traveling all the way from the UK. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed dining at our restaurant, The Grill Room and that you enjoyed the contemporary American cuisine. On the other hand, I do apologize that our price value and shower accommodations did not live up to your expectations. However, we very much appreciate that you will be returning when your travels next bring you to Washington, D.C. Thank you again for choosing Capella Hotels!

Michigan
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Am enjoying my first night of a two night stay. This place is awesome. Terrific location, excellent service, beautiful room, more than adequate gym, and what looks like a cool bar (although I haven't been inside/just looked in). This place is all class. I'm on a business trip and called my wife in Colorado and told her we need to come back together. First Class all the way.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank annarbor007
Greetings annarbor007,

Thank you for posting this lovely review of your recent stay at our Capella Hotel in Georgetown. I am delighted to read that you had such an incredible experience and enjoyed our service team and welcoming accommodations. We are very much looking forward to your return in the near future!

Munich, Germany
Reviewed 14 November 2013

As a former Washington DC-area resident who long ago moved to Europe to enjoy the comforts and cuisines of the old world, I find visiting DC to be a unique and sometimes frustrating experience. Everything closes far too early (try having dinner after 10pm), restaurants come and go in the blink of an eye, and the inconsistencies in quality and service among DC's "finer hotels" can be mind-boggling (i.e., there is no explanation for the decay of Georgetown Ritz Carlton -- hopefully someone will do a post-mortem to establish a cause of death for this once-acceptable hotel). This familiarity and unease with Washington DC underpins my pleasure in posting a most favorable review of the newly opened Capella Washington DC in Georgetown. I am new to this property and this brand, so discovering this gem in Washington was a pleasant surprise. Everything has been thought of here, including the separation of the bar and restaurant (both superb) from the guest reception and registration area, which is accessible only to guests of the hotel. No local foot traffic or lux-curious tourists milling about as you check in, much less reporters or photographers. It's exclusive, without being complex. The guest rooms are spacious, elegant and contemporary (and I adored the huge soaking tub separate from the expansive shower). The staff is professional and responsive, without the typically-annoying-American "have a nice day" at every turn. And the menu at the grill room is first rate. An excellent choice for dinning, whether a guest or not, but if you are lodging in Washington, be a guest. This is the place to be in DC and I look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank EuroMM1
Greetings EuroMM1,

Thank you so much for sharing this incredible review of our Capella Hotel in Georgetown on TripAdvisor. We highly appreciate everything you mentioned regarding our exclusive accommodations and services, elegant and spacious guest rooms and the luxurious environments throughout the hotel. All of our staff members feel honored to have been able to serve you and provide you with a unique and memorable experience to remember. I wish you a wonderful holiday season ahead and when your travels next bring you to our Nation's Capital, I certainly look forward to your return. It has been an absolute pleasure.

San Francisco
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We had a marvelous stay at the Capella. From the moment we arrived until we left they took fabulous care of us. My wife misplaced her purse which we eventually located at a nearby restaurant where we'd dined the night before. It was the morning of her Mother;s funeral and she was upset. Everyone at the Capella pitched in to look, and made her feel much better. In the course of the search they found broken glass in the trunk of our car where we had broken a photo the night before- cleaned it all without a comment. They found the purse during the funeral and when we came back it was sitting in our room - they had gone and fetched it from the restaurant and everyone beamed at my wife when we came back.

We also found a nice note from management expressing condolences with pots of special calming herb tea and snacks set up at night in our room before we went to bad- which was the perfect touch.

Rooms were lovely, the apogee of luxury - excellent electronics, espresso/tea maker, comp soft drinks in the fridge, nuts and madelines set out as snacks each day, comfy bed,nice linens and pillows, quiet rooms, great waterfall shower- when we asked for a room with a tub, voila! Lovely designer tub in bathroom. I love the ability to check in and out when you please- all high end hotels should adopt that policy.

Great bar with interesting beverages- try the concoction in the giant beaker made of cognac, herb liqueur and other ingredients- very tasty after dinner drink-

lounge on roof looks great weather permitting- tables outside restaurant on canal would be wonderful in Spring and summer- breakfast at restaurant superb, first perfectly cooked French style omelet I've had in States in a long time, just delicious -

We are from DC and grew up in Georgetown and was strange to come back and stay in a hotel- but Capella was simply the cherry on top- superb. As global travelers who have sampled many a fine lodge we must say Capella was as good as any on Earth- maybe better!

Thank you again to everyone from the doorman to the managers and staff who made us so welcome .

Room Tip: parking is expensive- on weekends its possible to find a spot nearby on the street later in the even...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ramblingman50
CapellaWashingtonDC, General Manager at Rosewood Washington, D.C., responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Greetings Ramblingman50,

First and for most we want to thank you for sharing with us your incredible experience on TripAdvisor, even after suffering from the loss of your wife's beloved Mother. Again, we would like to express our deepest condolences to you and your family during this tough time. I am so pleased to hear that your wife's belongings were recovered and placed back into your guest room safe and sound and that you both loved the calming herb tea that hopefully gave you a sense of home away from home.

At Capella Hotels, we promise to deliver reliable, genuinely caring and timely service superior to our competition, with respected and empowered employees who work in an environment of belonging and purpose. I am honored that you and your wife were able to experience exactly this concept from the moment you arrived to the moment we bid you farewell. We are especially thankful that you chose our hotel given that you are both locals in the Georgetown neighborhood. We look forward to the day you return, when we have the gracious opportunity to serve and delight you both for many years to come.

West New York, New Jersey
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Stayed the weekend and had a fabulous experience. Staff was friendly and addressed me by my name. Loved their contemporary décor. Was upgraded to nicer room upon arrival. Bedding and pillows were heavenly ! Great location, close to M street with tons of shopping, restaurant/bars. Rooftop was great. Wish I would've brought my bathing suit to hit the heated infinity pool. Well , I'll just have to go back in the spring.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Maria V
Greetings Maria V,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback regarding your most recent stay with us at Capella Washington, D.C. I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your luxury guest room accommodations, personalized greetings from our Personal Assistants, and incredible location in the heart of Georgetown. We will look forward to your speedy return this spring when you have the opportunity to try out our infinity pool!