“A Brilliant Yellow Diamond!”

Rosewood Washington, D.C.
Ranked #63 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Oh....do I love this new hotel...I pride myself of finding the hidden gems...Well this one is a yellow diamond!!! Brilliant...A rarity...and thus I am happy to spread the good word! The hotel has class, elegance without being too formal. The restaurant was delicious with beautiful views of the canal in Georgetown. The service is impeccable. It's nice to see staff who actually enjoy helping their guests! Love the paintings in the whiskey bar...try the Manhattan drink sitting in a vat! The pool deck was closed for the winter, but I checked it out and it looks amazing. I will be back there soon, when they open the outdoor deck!

Room Tip: Rooms are gorgeous and tasteful and you feel like you're in the countryside but you're actua...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank danicg
CapellaWashingtonDC, General Manager at Rosewood Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Greetings danicg,

Yellow diamond, hidden gem, brilliant, impeccable- these are some of my favorite ways to describe Capella Washington, D.C.! Thank you so much for your generous review and for sharing your great experience with us on TripAdvisor. Our outdoor patio and rooftop sun deck deck is now open. It would be an absolute pleasure to welcome you back to enjoy these beautiul accommodations in the heart of Georgetown. Thank you for being a loyal guest and for your kind referral to future Capella guests and the local community.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

We had a wonderful stay at Capella in DC:

*My personal "assistant" at the hotel called me weeks before to ask what beverages I wanted in my complimentary in-room refrigerator. She fulfilled my request down to providing lemon slices for my husband's water, which I requested. The call also asked me if I needed anything special, including what newspapers we read in the morning.

*We were greeted by the efficient, pleasant hostess who shook our hand and told us how pleased she was to meet us. She allowed us an early check-in and personally escorted us to our room and showed us around.

*We were upgraded to a Georgetown Suite, which was on a corner and overlooked the canal. The room was fabulous. There were room controls on each side of the bed to open/close the drapery, put on the reading light, have mood lighting, indicate "do not disturb" or just to turn off the lights. The bathroom had a ceiling shower head and Acqua Di Parma toiletries, along with an interesting round soaking tub. They give you a little toiletry kit with shaving cream, a razor, shower cap, file and other amenities. You were welcomed to the room with several macarons served on sliced almonds. The furniture was beautiful, although we don't drink coffee, there was a fancy espresso/coffee maker in the room. Of course our requested beverages were there. We were asked if we needed anything pressed or if we needed our shoes shined. There was a flat screen TV with DirectTV.

*The hostess sat in the "Capella Living Room" which was a quiet oasis when patrons were in the bar or restaurant. They had M&Ms, tea and soft drinks for the hotel guests. They had a scrabble board, a chess set, sofas and chairs in the room. After dinner, we were able to order our drinks there. During breakfast, they provided croissants, yogurt, coffee and tea.

*The Rye bar was lovely in the afternoon, where we had some drinks and some bar food. The cheese tray was delightful, the bread was hot and fresh and the ham and cheese croquettes were very good as well. I had the most delicious Sour Apple Martini there - they don't carry the Pucker schnapps, so they muddled apples and the result was terrific. My husband's sidecar was very good.

*Dinner at The Grill Room was very good and I will review that in that section.

*After dinner we went up to see the pool and gym. The pool was so pretty - the water was warm, but not warm enough to go in with the cold weather (at least for me). The gym was small, but had state-of-the-art equipment.

*When we awoke, our paper was hanging in a bag outside of our door and breakfast at The Grill Room was good as well.

Of course, you are paying for these amenities and this service, and it is well worth it. This hotel must be lovely during the spring and with the warmer weather - we plan to return for another special occasion.

Room Tip: I would imagine that all of the rooms are good, but if you have a special request, ask - they may be...
1  Thank FuninPhx71

Greetings FuninPhx71,

Thank you so much for sharing your great experience at Capella Washington, D.C. on TripAdvisor. I truly enjoyed reading every detail, especially the pre-call from your Personal Assistant introducing themselves and also acquiring special preferences, needs, and wants from you in order to make your arrival and stay seamless, enjoyable, and as close to home as possible. I am pleased to hear that you loved your cocktails, dinner, and your exclusive Living Room & Rooftop space. Spring is finally here and I as well look forward to your return very soon! Chef Jakob and our culinary team have a wonderful culinary selection at The Grill Room and the Rye Bar, and the infinity pool is the perfect temperature with the warmer weather. Thank you again for your wonderful feedback.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

My job requires me to travel all over the world and a lot so I've stayed in many beautiful hotels, particularly in India. I must say the Capella is the only one I took the time to rate it and that should tell you a lot. I strongly believe this boutique hotel deserves to be discovered for its unique decor and service,. How can such an outstanding hotel be in the center of Georgetown, steps to variety of shops and restaurants and yet feel in the country side?
The service is top of the top and that makes the Capella unique. Although, we are from DC area, I wanted to surprise my fiancé with a romantic getaway trip to celebrate his birthday. As soon as we checked in, the staff was welcoming us as if we were well known movie stars or important politicians. I had reserved the deluxe room and at my surprise they upgraded us to Georgetown suite. You should see the majestic bath-room. Every room had its own decoration touch with a lot of details with majestic yet cozy and modern place. The infinity pool is a must see. It is a continuous indoor and outdoor pool. While it was snowing last night, we decided to explore the in/outdoor pool. Imagine being in the pool facing the fire place and then take a swim outside exploring DC and feeling the snow falling on you while your body is soaking in warm water! What an experience! The infinity pool is the cache of this hotel. We had dinner at the Grill and everything we tasted was delicious. The Champagne trolley is another distinguished service that you only see in very few French restaurants.
Capella is our second home for a romantic escape in DC!

I would like to thank all the staff but a particular thanks to Michael (Sale Director).

Room Tip: We stayed in Georgetown suite very nice!
1  Thank radiahwry

Warm Greetings radiahwry,

I cannot express enough gratitude to you for taking the time to share with all of us your outstanding and romantic experience at Capella Washington, D.C., Georgetown. It is our pleasure and honor to have been able to create such a unique legacy and tradition for you and your husband. I am thrilled to hear that our service professionals were always there to anticipate and fulfill all of your needs, and that each of our accommodations left you feeling like Capella is your new home away from home. We are very much looking forward to your return, even it's just for dinner and drinks in The Grill Room and Rye Bar, we just want you to know how much we appreciate you both. I wish you a beautiful spring season ahead.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

In the past 20 years I must have stayed in over 10-15 different 4 to 5 star hotels in Washington DC and this one blows them all out of the water with a large margin. I really have no complaints which always sounds suspicious but hear me out.The size is perfect (49 rooms), the location is great (smack in the middle of Georgetown), the service is exquisite (the whole staff goes out of their way to make you feel comfortable, german management), heck even the room service food is delicious (which is almost never the case), and everything well designed (no business hotel run of the mill furniture). Ok fine it doesn't have a full spa, but the restaurant and bar are hard to match in that town. Mark my words this place will soon rank first place on trip advisor. So if you don't mind to splurge a bit, don't think twice. Capella it is.

Room Tip: try to get a canal view.
2  Thank Shopikon

Greetings Shopikon,

I am so honored to read that you found our hotel so exceptional and enjoyed everything from our professional service, to in-room dining, and wonderful location. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences and generous feedback on TripAdvisor. I am so thrilled that you have finally found your preferred hotel in Washington, D.C., and I am even more excited that we have you as our loyal guest at Capella. Our team and staff are very much looking forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

A true "boutique" hotel, with the best location in Georgetown, overlooking the C&O Canal. The hotel is brand new and rooms are magnificent, top notch and very luxurious. We stayed in one of the deluxe rooms facing the C&O Canal and it was out of this world. Very spacious, so was the bathroom. I was amazed by the quality of the details and the finishes. The woodwork in the closets and in the furniture in general was very high end. The rooftop has a grand view of DC, although we could not enjoy it much as the weather was not helpful. Service is very personalized, as the hotel is small (40 odd rooms) so all the staff is very attentive. Well worth the extra bucks.

Room Tip: Any room overlooking the canal
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Merchanda
CapellaWashingtonDC, General Manager at Rosewood Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Greetings Merchanda,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this amazing review after your recent stay with us at Capella Washington D.C. I am honored to hear that you experienced such incredible comfort, personalized service, and relaxation. It is also great to hear that you loved each design element and luxurious accommodations. Although, I do apologize the weather was not cooperative to provide any enjoyment while on the rooftop. I know you would love this exclusive space in the warmer seasons. Your loyalty is truly valued and appreciated, we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel very soon.

Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

Visited Rye Bar on the ground floor after a recommendation. Situated just off M Street and the busier bars this is just over the canal and has an opulent interior with great seating and good choice of drinks and cocktails. About $10 a drink so not cheap but can imagine this would be a great place for romantic nights or for couples.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank colin7629

Greetings colin7629,

Thank you so much for your gracious review on TripAdvisor regarding your visit to the Rye Bar at Capella Washington, D.C. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the beautiful location on the historic C&O Canal as well as our spacious seating layout and selection of cocktails. I look forward to welcoming you back for many more occasions. Wishing you a healthy and prosperous 2014.

Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

Made a family trip for a week out of dropping our son off at Georgetown Law School! Was recommended to Capella by American Express and I have to say they were on the ball! What a beautiful hotel in every way! The staff is top notch from the moment you approach front doors to waiting for elevator! Very pleasant, helpful in every way! We loved every part of the hotel' rooms spacious, beautifully decorated, details all over, infinity pool! Will definitely and stay every time I come back to DC which will be often from now on.

• Stayed: August 2013

Greetings Lindamesteve,

I am so delighted to read that you chose Capella Washington, D.C. during your visit to Georgetown while taking your son to Law School. Georgetown is a beautiful location and Capella fits perfectly in the heart of this historic city. I appreciate your kind words regarding our elegant and spacious decor, and your excitement to return the next time you're in DC. Our Personal Assistants and service team very much look forward to your return!