“Unique Euro Elegance in DC (Wonderful Hotel in Great Location)”

Rosewood Washington, D.C.
Ranked #86 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Potomac Falls, Virginia
“Unique Euro Elegance in DC (Wonderful Hotel in Great Location)”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We just celebrated our 20th Wedding Anniversary at the Capella and we had a great time. We stayed in a Georgetown Suite overlooking the canal. The hotel itself is very impressive with a wonderful bar and restaurant, but the main feature of this hotel is the privacy for the guests along with the service. There is a glass door that is room key controlled to keep the hotel guests separate from the public areas. So it's feels like you are a celebrity staying in an exclusive property, which in fact seems to be the concept for this small hotel chain. The living room is a very nice feature with free drinks and snacks, games and meeting spot. Even the elevator is protected so that only your floor and the top roof deck are accessible for guests.
HOTEL HITS (5 Star Features)
1.)Service is the top feature of this hotel. A week before our arrival we got a message on what to stock in our mini bar. My wife likes coconut water and I like sparkling water. Both requests were provided along with a handwritten note. Incredible Macaroons also greeted us. We had the rose petal service for our turn down with a rose petal heart on our bed. Very nice!
2.)Room itself was a technical wonder with mood lighting, automatic drapery open and close, and lights in the closets. Room layout is quite nice with very comfortable bedding.
3.)Euro style bathroom with insane tub and waterfall shower. Water pressure and temperature were great along with Acqua di Parma bath products and plenty of towels.
4.) Decor was Modern with great woodwork, wood floors, marble, glass and nice artwork.
5.) TV with regular cable channels in full HD 1080p, mini bar and Lily Expresso Maker
6.) Room check in and check out were flexible. We arrived around 1:30PM and had a full 24 hours in a hotel. I hate when a hotel tries to kick you out at 10AM and this hotel does not.
7.) Upon arrival we had my wife's dress and my shirts and pants pressed before dinner that night. This is a free service and really helps when you plan on making a night on town.
8.) Check In was great with our car parked in valet and all of our luggage neatly in our room.
9.) Staff was always attentive and if you had a request they would make it happen
HOTEL MISSES OR IMPROVEMENTS
1.) Room key was a bit temperamental in the elevator to activate our floor. Took a few tries.
2.) The bar was packed starting at 6PM with non-hotel guests. Standing room only at 10PM.
3.) Valet Parking is expensive at $48, but it is Georgetown with limited supply and high demand
COUPLE OF OTHER SUGGESTIONS
Uber DC is great for city transportation. The Black Lincoln Town Cars are great and arrived in less than 10 minutes from our request. Same price as a cab with better service and luxury.
We went to City Zen for dinner and then late night drinks at "The Gibson" at 14th and U Street. The U Street area is the happening late night scene in DC and City Zen was a 5 Star dining experience.

Room Tip: If you can afford it the Georgetown Suite is quite nice. They do have alumni discounts for Georget...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MAGICK_HEX
CapellaWashingtonDC, General Manager at Rosewood Washington, D.C., responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Warm Greetings MAGICK_HEX,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review regarding your most recent stay for your 20th wedding anniversary at Capella Washington, D.C., Georgetown, congratulations! I highly admire your detailed "Hotel Hits" and appreciate you taking the time to craft these components of the Capella experience for the TripAdvisor world and future guests. It brings me great pleasure to learn that you enjoyed the private and exclusive services and accommodations throughout the hotel. This is truly what sets us a part from other hotels in the city and I'm so thrilled you were able to experience all these components.

I also appreciate you taking the time to share with us areas of improvement in our hotel. I do apologize for the temperamental keycard, lack of bar space seating at night, and your somewhat dissatisfaction with the valet parking pricing. Because the Rye Bar is a public space, we try our best to accommodate each and every guest, but in the case that it is full, we do offer our guests the option of the rooftop bar and lounge as well as your private Capella Living Room to enjoy food and beverages. I understand the Rye Bar is a beautiful space and this is where you would like to be, but I can assure you that the rooftop space will be an incredible destination this spring and summer season, especially taking advantage of the infinity pool.

Thank you again and I very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future so you can enjoy even more unique experiences and 5 star hotel hits at Capella D.C.

Alex Obertop

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We were so looking forward to our stay in a smaller hotel. We found nothing so egregious but many, many little things that could be improved. We had expressed ourselves politely with the intent of sharing some constructive advice with a new hotel. When we got a response from the manager he emailed and said let me know the next time you come so we can meet your "demands". I requested that I would appreciate a phone call and the email response seemed beligerent.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Well-traveled154
CapellaWashingtonDC, Manager at Rosewood Washington, D.C., responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Greetings Well-traveled154,

Thank you very much for visiting Capella Washington, D.C., Georgetown. It was our sincerest pleasure to welcome you as our guest and as always it was our aim to make your visit as enjoyable as possible.

It was unfortunate that we were unable to provide you with a positive, memorable experience. It is never our intention to cause dissatisfaction and unhappiness for our guests, which is why I highly appreciate that you have brought your requests for improvement to my attention.

At this stage I hope that you will give us another chance to prove to you what our service professionals in our hotel are capable of. Please be assured that as we strive to exceed our guests expectations with a caring and personalized service, it will be one of our utmost aims to make you feel welcome and cared for, and to attend to any special requests or needs you may have.

Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We just came for a short weekend, and It was one of the best stays we´ve ever had.
The hotel feels luxurious, but also unpretentious.
Great service and amazing staff. They make you feel like home, and you don’t want to leave ever. We love every single detail. Thanks!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Greetings acaballero,

Thank you so much for your generous review regarding your most recent stay with us at Capella Washington, D.C. I am so happy to hear that you felt at home and loved the unpretentious, personalized, and luxurious service. I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future for many more unique experiences at Capella D.C. and throughout the city!

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Has great potential, but unfortunately falls short in so many correctable ways.
The good - great Georgetown location and wonderful staff.
The bad - For a prestigious hotel group, poor room design (many correctable) and silly amenity implementation.

Here goes:
Poor Room Design: inexplicable and dangerous 2" step up in bathroom to WC and shower. Flooring buckling, loose and de-laminating, creating a tripping and injury hazard. No night light in bathroom. Closet poorly designed with only extremely limited space for hanging trousers or long garments (this is correctable if management chooses to fix). The implementation of the complimentary continental breakfast is poor: the tasty assortment of fruit and pastries is doled out in a cramped area on tiny serving dishes, so they're always running out and running around for replenishment; adjacent is a large guest lounge where the breakfast should be placed.

Some management attention to the correctable issues would significantly improve this hotel experience.

Nevertheless, considering the area options, this is still a good choice.

Room Tip: Check to make sure the flooring is not de-laminating.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Waldenwater H
Greetings Waldenwater H,

I want to first thank you for your taking the time to write this informative and constructive review on TripAdvisor. Feedback like yours allows our team to learn and grow from our mistakes and defects and become a world class hotel, just like we promise to you and our guests.

Since your review, we have replaced the buckling and loose flooring. Thank you for bringing to our attention your feedback regarding the step up in the bathroom, closet space, and continental breakfast dissatisfaction and presentation. You mentioned that if management spent time correcting these issues that it will significantly improve the guest experience. We are doing our absolute best to improve these defects to ensure that your next stay will be seamless, enjoyable, worry free, and most importantly, safe.

Should you choose to stay at our hotel again, we would love the opportunity to showcase the meaning of a true Capella experience that we know we are capable of. If I may be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out to me personally at alex.obertop@capellahotels.com. In the mean time, I hope you enjoy the beginnings to a beautiful spring season in Boston.

Warm Regards,

New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I am a travel agent of a luxury travel agency who only deals with a very high end clientele. I have the luxury to stay in this private and very upscale hotel. The rooms are amazing. It is in ship shape and Bristol fashion. The service is very impressive . You do not have a concierge here but a PRIVATE PERSONAL ASSISTANT. This hotel is perfect for CEO's , celebrities , demanding clients ...... etc. The neighboring hotels such as Four Seasons and Rtiz Carlton are no match to this GEM!!. A must stay if you can afford it!!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are great. You cannot go wrong but if you have a great budget get at least the executive 1...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Katqueue61
Greetings Katqueue61,

Thank you very much for your incredible review. As a Travel Agent, you're feedback is highly appreciated. To know that Capella D.C. proved to be such an exceptional experience for you brings me great joy and pleasure. Capella's unique touches are what sets us apart, and I am thrilled that you were able to pick up on every personalized, exclusive detail and services. I look forward to your return and thank you for your gracious recommendation on TripAdvisor!

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 25 March 2014

As you can see from all the reviews, this is just a wonderful experience. The location is perfect. Off the main busy road but smack dab in the heart (a 1/2 block up) of it all. I can say that the "one on one" aspect of the hotel was a bit unusual to me at first. I am used to a bit more anonymity when staying somewhere BUT after a day or so, I got accustomed to it and actually enjoyed the attention. Mostly because the friendly faces and eagerness to help. The rooms were modern and cleanest I think I have ever been in. The bathrooms were designed perfectly with ample space for shower and toilet being quartered off privately. BUT the most delightful thing for me was that the bathroom was ventilated enough so you could actually shower THEN do hair and makeup without the humidity problem that I experience in SO MANY other hotel bathrooms!!! (This may be more of a selling point for us women but still....it was noticed and appreciated by me!!!!) If you can get the room with the tub then you definitely MUST have a bath in the deep soaking tub. Ahhhhh...wish I was back there now. The beds were uber comfy but maybe just a touch on the short side. I am 5-7 and toes hung off a few times if I wasn't careful to be totally at the top. My 6-2 son slept diagonally in his room...but he does that a lot anyway! The floors are small so you may be directly across from elevator or service room BUT they will accommodate you changing a room location if they can. The bar area is small and set up mostly for groups of more then 2 so it is tight to get a seat. Not great when you get back to hotel from long day of walking, want a drink, and as a guest can't get a seat. Hopefully that can be worked out as it happened to us a couple of times so we just decided to go elsewhere. Maybe when weather gets better and rooftop is open it will help thin out the inside crowd. I will most definitely return again and again to this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the service room since the hall ways are so narrow.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ANN S
Greetings ANN S,

Thank you so much for this exceptional review regarding your most recent stay at Capella Washington, D.C., Georgetown. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the attentive and personalized service, delightful (humidity free) bathrooms, and perfect location. I do apologize for the lack of seating in the public Rye Bar space, but as you said the warmer months will allow for guests to take advantage of the exclusive rooftop, free of outside guests to ensure that seating and space is always available. Our outdoor patio is also recently opened, which adds more seating on the C&O Canal, a beautiful setting and ambiance. We highly appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor and very much look forward to the next time we have the gracious opportunity to welcome and serve you.

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 18 March 2014

This weekend we just celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary so we stayed at Capella Georgetown for a weekend getaway. Let me just say that in these 40 years my wife and I have never been to any other hotel as spectacular as Capella! Everything was so elegant and personal and they had such a warming touch from the doorman to house keeping to the PA's and everything in between. We had a wonderful dinner at the grill room restaurant and the food was absolutely fantastic. The entire wait staff was great and the executive chef even came out to ask us how everything was and to see how we were doing. We had the most amazing time, it was like living in a dream!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Warm Greetings Davy_and_Rosa,

I would like to express my sincere appreciation and gratitude for your wonderful review regarding your 40th wedding anniversary experience at The Grill Room and Capella Washington, D.C. I am pleased to read that everything went so smoothly and exceptional for the both of you. Thank you for choosing our hotel to celebrate, it brings me utmost pleasure to know that the dinner and getaway proved to be everything you imagined, just like a dream. We are excited to welcome you back in the near future for many more legacy moments.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington DC
Georgetown
The Ritz-Carlton Georgetown, Washington, D.C.
Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End
Four Seasons Hotel Washington, DC
The Ritz-Carlton, Tysons Corner
#2 of 14 in Tysons Corner
Dupont Circle
The St. Regis Washington, D.C.
The St. Regis Washington, D.C.
#22 of 141 in Washington DC

Been to Rosewood Washington, D.C.? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Rosewood Washington, D.C.

Property: Rosewood Washington, D.C.
Address: 1050 31st St NW, Washington DC, DC 20007-4405 (Formerly Capella Washington D.C., Georgetown)
Region: United States > District of Columbia > Washington DC > Georgetown
Bar / Lounge Business Centre with Internet Access Fitness Centre with Gym / Workout Room Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Children Activities (Kid / Family Friendly) Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Restaurant Room Service Suites Swimming Pool
Ranked #86 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): ££££
Hotel Class:5 star — Rosewood Washington, D.C. 5*
Situated in the heart of Georgetown along the historic C&O Canal, Rosewood Washington, D.C. presents an intimate & luxurious 49 guest rooms & suites, meticulously designed to provide you with a soothing haven from the day's activities. Our prime location offers guests premium access to Washington, D.C.'s vibrant cultural center, rich with museums and galleries, specialty shopping and unique dining options. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Ebookers, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Rosewood Washington, D.C. reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.