“Gato Barbieri show - Right On at 81 Years Old”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Howard Theatre

Howard Theatre
Ranked #147 of 430 things to do in Washington DC
Raleigh, North Carolina
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Gato Barbieri show - Right On at 81 Years Old”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

First time to the 2010 renovated show place. And that it is! Wonderful, pristine work on the venue. The Howard & Shaw area has become quite the "gentrified" area.

Great transportation options, took the subway and only a block or so away is this venue. No brainer for those wanting to do what I did. Stay at a great hotel Renaissance, then find a nice Yelp reviewed place (I could find) thus at here at the howard.

Had the burger & fries, was ok, however I was starved. $17 PP, so not the greatest value, but, hey, I ended up with a free pass to the show so I wanted to show some L$OVE to the venue and staff. And I did.

Met some cool people who let me hang out with them at another venue just a handful of blocks away. We caught Sy Smith & friends...was totally kicking! Something Caverns I believe. I will be back to both places in the future. A must experience venue in a intriguing location.

1 Thank TriangleTourGuy

23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Beautiful Venue”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

I first visited the Howard Theater shortly after it reopened was thoroughly impressed with the renovation. I have seen some great performances in a relatively intimate environment. Seats are general admission, so I like to arrive early to get a seat upstairs where I can have a great view of the stage without feeling disconnected from the artist. Food and drinks are available, but the service is unremarkable. If you're all about taking in the music in a comfortable setting, you won't be dissatisfied.

Visited November 2013
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 86 helpful votes
“Great music venue. Food service not so much.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

Although I've been to the remodeled Howard Theatre many times before, it was for meetings; never a musical event. Well, I finally attended a concert. And, although the tickets said "..limited seating, 'General Admission' (standing room only)", I took a leap of faith that I wouldn't have to stand for approximately 4 hours (NOTE: Doors open 2 hrs. prior to performances). I made a concerted effort to arrive no later than 1 hour before the concert.....and VOILA!! I not only got a seat, but was escorted to a seat practically ON the stage. I was seated at a table (VERY TIGHTLY CONFIGURED) where I actually met some very nice folks. Yeah; that kind of closeness actually forces you to get to know folks :) There is also some 'banquette' seating around the walls away from the stage...also, a second floor/balcony of seats (which were closed the night I was there). Now, I knew that there was a $10 minimum charge/fee for food for seated attendees but I'd also heard not-so-good things about the food service. I hesitantly ordered the tilapia tacos...and they were pretty good abeit pricey. The glass of water TASTED awful. A tablemate mentioned that it was due to the chlorine that the city government had recently flushed through the system. I just could not drink it, so, I ordered a ginger ale. It was better than the water...but, not alot. BE FOREWARNED: Your bill will include taxes, service charges, gratuities, etc. So, for 3 'light' tilapia tacos and a glass of ginger ale, my food totaled exactly $20.00. The tacos were just okay; I'm sure I could have gotten better fish tacos and a soda at any local restaurant for about 1/2 of that amount. But, I digress. On the music side, the acoustics are great! The venue has very nice bathrooms, too. I plan to return, but know that I must make a choice to stand (and not order food) or sit (and be required to order food). Still, overall it's a beautiful small venue.

1 Thank JoyceInDC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“OVER-PRICED, BUILT-IN FEES . . . EXPENSIVE!! GET A RECEIPT, AND READ IT CAREFULLY!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

Entertainment decent, food average, wait service (yawn), booth seat cushions tattered/shredded/worn, drinks (including water and sodas) overpriced with required (and unposted/unadvertised) 16% gratuity. [A mimosa and a coke was $22.] Overall, this Sunday brunch (not to mention, my first visit to the Howard Theatre) was a remarkably average/pricey experience and, in the end, just wasn't worth it. In addition, the experience was not customer-friendly or community-oriented. Disappointing . . . a real money factory!!

1 Thank v c
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Beautiful but Not Enough”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

The renovation of the theatre is nice yet the Sunday Gospel Brunch left us wanting more. Upon entering there was guidance on seating or how to get served. We had to figure it out. There was not enough wait staff and there were problems keeping hot water and coffee containers full. I saw one hard working staff serving drinks and bussing tables. The floors were sticky with spilled juice that was never cleaned. There was a self serve prime rib carving station that did not strike me as the most sanitary or safest. The food was okay. The greens and French toast were the standouts! And it was freezing. The Harlem Gospel Choir was outstanding!!! Great Concept. It seems things could be better with better organization by leadership and training of staff.

Visited March 2014