“Service does not match Stylish Theatre”
Review of Howard Theatre

Howard Theatre
Ranked #151 of 432 things to do in Washington DC
Richmond, Virginia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Service does not match Stylish Theatre”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We attended the Howard Theatre to see a Chante Moore concert on Saturday, May 24, 2014. We arrived at 6:10 pm, concert was supposed to start at 7:30 pm, after being seated we had enough time to order food/drinks before the concert began. Huge mistake in thinking it was a logical assumption; a couple was at our table and attempted to order from a menu and was told they were looking at the "wrong" menu (the staff placed 2 different menus on the table). Our waiter was not the most pleasant and was sweating profusely, after an hour of no food or drinks, I asked for the manager (who is invisible when patrons have a concern or complaint)! The manager never showed, but another waitress did come to take our order, drinks arrived 30 minutes later and food about 20 minutes later (after being told that they did not have the ingredients to make crab cakes). The wait staff are also responsible for seating which makes it worst for those wanting to order, many times you are forgotten. The concert and venue are great, but service is very poor. Expect to pay about double for whatever you order with the gratuity and service charge. Food was okay once it arrived,

Visited May 2014
3 Thank rjones621

Washington DC, District of Columbia
1,446 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1,502 helpful votes
“Historical”
Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

I visited it recently as a part of a walking tour in U Street.
The area around is improving. Still a little dodgy.
The theatre was renovated and from outside it looks very nice. A piece of History.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank HelenaGuerra
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“a must when visiting Washington DC”
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

It's a lot of History. Wow :-)Ambience was superb! will definitely go again.there were a lot of stars who have passed through there.

Visited October 2013
Bowie, Maryland
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Gospel brunch – Good Entertainment”
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Went to the Gospel brunch on Easter Sunday. Purchased a parking voucher for eight dollars which was useful. The only problem was there was no attendant at the lot but it did not cause a problem. We just left our voucher in the car window. People start lining up one hour early. We were near the front of the line and it quickly grew to more than 50 people.

When you get inside there are not too many bad seats in the room so if you are among the first 50 or so you have your choice of many seats. The tables are rectangular tables of six. They are very close to each other so the seating is tight. There are a few booths around the room as well.

The food was a big disappointment as many others have pointed out. The eggs were hard and cold and nothing on the buffet was very appetizing. They did have the Bourbon French toast during our visit; it was so sweet it was almost inedible. Look at it as a dessert but don't plan on eating too much of it.
I am not a coffee drinker but my friend said the coffee did not taste good either. I am at tea drinker and another diner pointed out to me when I went to get a cup of tea that the water was not even warm. So much for that.

The gospel group was very good and energetic. I would give them five stars alone but I had to make my rating lower because of the food. They keep a couple of tables reserved down front for people with disabilities.

Raleigh, North Carolina
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Gato Barbieri show - Right On at 81 Years Old”
Reviewed 18 April 2014

First time to the 2010 renovated show place. And that it is! Wonderful, pristine work on the venue. The Howard & Shaw area has become quite the "gentrified" area.

Great transportation options, took the subway and only a block or so away is this venue. No brainer for those wanting to do what I did. Stay at a great hotel Renaissance, then find a nice Yelp reviewed place (I could find) thus at here at the howard.

Had the burger & fries, was ok, however I was starved. $17 PP, so not the greatest value, but, hey, I ended up with a free pass to the show so I wanted to show some L$OVE to the venue and staff. And I did.

Met some cool people who let me hang out with them at another venue just a handful of blocks away. We caught Sy Smith & friends...was totally kicking! Something Caverns I believe. I will be back to both places in the future. A must experience venue in a intriguing location.

Visited April 2014