“Solid location and customer service”

Courtyard Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom
Ranked #53 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 28 March 2014

This hotel is a good location. It is next to the GW's campus, near 3 different subways stops (Farragut North, Foggy Bottom and Farragut West) and it has a Starbucks and a Subway as part of the building. The rooms are smaller than your typical courtyard but the amenities are the standards and there is a fridge in the room as well. Apparently the bistro does not serve midday, so hit the starbies next door. Note: the line in the am and right after lunch are long so allow time if you have a coffee fix and it closes at 7pm. The parking is valet and costs: $36 a day. Due to the convenience to the university and many of the tourist sites( memorials by the reflecting pool, the Mall, the Washington Monument, the White House, etc.), I would stay here again.

Note: do not try to check in early, the rooms will not be ready if you arrive before 11am.

3  Thank kimborkr
Carla B, General Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2016

Thank you very much for staying with us recently and also for letting us know about your experience at our hotel. We certainly read and appreciate all of the feedback we get and to have read about your stay was wonderful.

There are newer reviews for Courtyard Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom

Reviewed 26 March 2014

I stayed at this hotel while celebrating my birthday in the area. There was nothing particularly special about this hotel. It was clean, the desk clerks were so so, and the bed wasn't that comfortable. Overall if you are looking for a warm and inviting environment or something special choose another hotel. If you just need a place to sleep and shower then this is the place for you.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Carla B, General Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2016

Thank you very much for staying with us recently and also for letting us know about your experience at our hotel. We have since corrected the mentioned areas above and we do hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in the DC area.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Used points to stay here for a quick getaway. Great location a few blocks from the mall, the White House, and GWU. Reception was very friendly and helpful. Hotel has had the complete new Courtyard rebuild. Everything in the lobby was very modern, clean, and bright. Room was clean, up to date, and just like every other new Courtyard I've stayed in recently. Fitness center has enough to get a maintenance workout in and the pool, although small (~10m x 3m) was big enough for the kids to enjoy at the end of a day of sightseeing. No on-site parking (only valet) and for $25 was reasonable. There are numerous good restaurants within a 10 minute walk. If you're visiting GWU, it is right on the edge of the campus near several of the schools. The only two letdowns were: (1) the vehicle-pull-in / check-in area is incredibly small and almost impossible to pull into, and (2) as a Gold Elite rewards member, I would have hoped for a better room location (we were right near the elevator and did not have a view). Perhaps those aren't seen as bad things or perhaps I should have asked for a good view and to not to be near the elevator. Regardless, despite a little noise, everything was still great. I would definitely stay here again the next time we come to do some sightseeing.

Room Tip: Ask for a "city view" room that faces South or East. Would recommend rooms away from the...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Thank you again and I hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in the D.C. area.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Stayed with a large group for one night (multiple rooms) to celebrate a friends birthday, before booking the room, I called the hotel to confirm that there were sofa beds in each room to accommodate the number of people we had and the gentleman who answered the phone assured me that there were while rushing me off of the phone. When we arrived to the hotel, the valet did not acknowledge us as we pulled into the garage and then was rude when we kept driving down the ramp. The front desk was less than friendly. We entered our room which was clean and tidy only to find that there was not a sofa bed in our room. We went down to the front desk and the woman working the check in was very rude and quick to say that "none of their staff would have told me that there was a sofa bed in the room because they had all been trained and seen each room to know that there wasn't." Luckily, the king room that one of our other friends were staying in had a sofa bed, so we were able to rearrange the sleeping arrangements. The sofa bed in the king room was dirty and did not come with any sheets, blankets or pillows. After calling the front desk and asking for sheets etc, they stated that they were in the room. After searching everywhere, we called the front desk two more times and they finally brought up a blanket... still no sheets. We had breakfast in the bistro the next morning that was alright, nothing great but the service was fine. Overall, I think the rooms were clean and a nice size, however, the poor customer service really killed the experience.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank loparis0
Devin D, General Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Dear Guest,

I would like to apologize for the confusion with the bed type's during your recent stay at the Courtyard Foggy Bottom. The hotel has 2 different bed types in the hotel. We offer rooms with a 1 King bed, as well rooms with 2 Queen Beds. The majority of our rooms with the King Beds have a pull out sofa, while none of our Queen Rooms have the pull out sofa as the space does not allow, but we are always more than happy to provide our guests with a roll away in these rooms.

Again I am extremely sorry for the confusion. If there is anything I can do to assist you in the future please do not hesistate to contact me directly at 202-296-5700.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

Willis and Tayvon at the front desk were very helpful. Even hooked me up with laundry supplies. overall it is a very modern hotel with great service. The rooms are very clean. I would stay here again in the future.

1  Thank rtikul8tim

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Stayed at the Courtyard Marriott Foggy Bottom for a business trip to DC last week and enjoyed a wonderful stay! It's always hit or miss in a city as to whether you'll be up all night due to outside noise. Well, the Marriott was extremely quiet during all 4 nights I stayed there. The knowledgeable staff was great and very helpful in answering questions on locations of buildings, getting a car for an early ride to the airport, or finding a particular store. I stayed in a room with two queen beds and had plenty of space. The bathroom was very clean and a decent size as well. I've stayed at the Penn Quarter Marriott DC and found this one to be a bit roomier. I highly recommend staying here if you're looking to visit this part of DC.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank snarlz

Thank you again and I hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in the D.C. area!

Reviewed 3 March 2014

The Courtyard is fine for the price but nothing special. The rooms are clean and relatively quiet, the staff tries to be friendly, there is a small gym and it is reasonable well located. Nothing stands out but if you get a good price it is fine.

As others have noted, the rooms are recent renovated and are clean. In my room the tv was oddly positioned so it was difficult to change channels from the bed. It was surprisingly quiet for the city, an advantage of the property being mid-block on a quiet street and not on a busy corner. The towels are not as nice as most hotels these days, nor are the toiletries—small bottles which are difficult to get the shampoo or conditioner out of.

The downside of being on a quiet street is that taxis are not as easy to come by. They also don’t queue up outside as they do at larger hotels in the city.

The health club is nice with four treadmills, each with their own tvs and a large tv on the wall. There were always fresh towels in the gym, but surprisingly the water was empty each of the three mornings I was there. The location is close to the mall and that is a nice place to run if the weather cooperates.

One of the items I found lacking was the treatment of Marriott rewards gold members. At most Marriott properties gold status comes with something extra—access to a concierge floor, free breakfast, or a worse, free snacks at check-in. When I made a reservation on the phone with a Marriott agent, I was told this property too offered free breakfast. At check-in I was told otherwise. It is not a big deal, but it is odd that the fancier hotels in the chair offer nice benefits and the Courtyard does nothing. (That has not been true at other Courtyards.)

There is a small café in the lobby. The food is ok but relatively expensive for what you get—you are better off going outside. There is a Starbucks right on the corner and a Subway next door that offers the same (fresher) breakfast sandwiches as the café.

1  Thank runkate
Devin D, General Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay. We take great pride in providing each and every guest the best possible service while staying at the Courtyard Foggy Bottom. It is comments such as these that help our team to continue to improve our service and our hotel. If there is ever anything I can do for you, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 202-296-5700. Thank you.