“Very competent”

Courtyard Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom
Ranked #53 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Stayed here for three nights on holiday. The hotel is new and all rooms felt fresh and clean. Room was a good size.

Location of the hotel was excellent within walking distance to most of the main sights and museums. It's quiet in the area in the evening but certainly felt safe walking around in the evening.

Service on the front desk was good although the hotel was fully booked when I was there so had to wait for a short time to check in.

Some negatives regarding the hotel include.....an unusual shower mechanism and a poorly equipped gym with no weights equipment.

However, these were minor irritations and overall it was a great stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Espresso74
Erin A, General Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2014

I first want to thank you for your review of our property. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed our new guestrooms and excellent location. I do apologize for the wait at the front desk, as you said it is a very busy location. Thank you for your feedback regarding the fitness center, as we will take that into consieration for furture equiptment purchases.

Thank you again for staying with us! Safe and happy travels!

Reviewed 30 April 2014

This was my first stay in a Mall area D.C. hotel. I chose this location based on location (short-ish walk to the west Mall monuments) and price (cheaper than the other Marriott properties proximate to The Mall). Overall, it was a good, not a great, stay, with some distinct plusses and minuses. [Disclosure: I am a Gold level Marriott Reward member].

For your consideration:
(1) The location is right next to George Washington University, which is a fairly calm area toward the evening hours.
(2) I used Farragut West as my Metro stop of choice. From 18th/I Street, it’s 6 blocks down, 2 blocks over to get to the hotel.
(3) My room, facing 20th Street, was a clean, decent-sized double-queen, but had one major drawback: the curtains were not made of a light-blocking opaque material. Rather, the single layer of white fabric simply “lit up” at night from the outside street lights. I don’t appreciate “bright” rooms at night. In response to feedback I provided to Marriott after my stay, I got a “sorry for the inconvenience” response from the “Bistro Supervisor” (bistro?).
(4) Slight drawback: depending on the direction of prevailing winds, you might hear jet noise from the takeoffs at Reagan National Airport. Fortunately, there’s a curfew, so this goes away toward bedtime hours.
(5) The room TV is small compared to other Marriott Courtyard properties I’ve stayed at.
(6) The front desk staff was awesome: recommendations about how to save money on Metro fare, where to go for good food, etc. Willis remembered my name every time I walked in the front door. Impressive.
(7) The fitness center is very small and lacks standard weight equipment.
(8) A middle-of-the-night service vehicle made a racket for about 10 minutes each night. Light sleepers will not be happy about this.

Room Tip: Walk the hallways and listen for whirring noise coming from electrical rooms. Get a room far from t...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Jim L
Erin A, General Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2014

Dear Jim,

Thank you for your review of the Courtyard Foggy Bottom, and and thank you for being a loyal Marriott Rewards member, we truly appreciate your business. I apologize that you had issues with sunlight entering the room, and issues with noise. If we have the pleasure of having you as our guest again, please contact me in advance and I would be happy to block you a room that is off the main street, and I am sure I can find some suitable blackout curtains for your stay. I am happy to hear that our guest service agents were able to exceed your service expectations. Willis is an amazing person who truly cares about our guests experience, and I will make sure to pass you review along to him and the rest of our staff.

Thank you again for staying with us, and I do hope that if you travels bring you to the Washington DC area again, that you give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Great location, friendly staff but the rooms are very small and once the sofabed was opened, you could barely move about the room without bumping into the furniture. Air conditioning had been turned on for the season but it was cold outside and hotel couldn't provide extra blankets (everyone wanted them and they RAN OUT!). With non-opening windows, once you turned off the A/C the room became a tomb with no air circulation so we slept in freezing conditions. Only one valet the entire stay, so even though we were warned to order our car from the room about 20 minutes before we wanted it - we still had a wait. This was our 3rd Courtyard Marriott in a week and while the hotel was well kept, they couldn't get things right enough to avoid being the worst - BY FAR.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review and feedback regaurding your stay with us. I want to first apologize for the service issues you experienced, as they are not typical at the Courtayrd Foggy Bottom. I have worked with my staff to ensure we have plenty of the additional blankets guests may require, as well as sharing your feedback on the valet service to ensure we have profficient staffing. If we do have the pleasure of having you as our guest again, might I suggest a room with two queen beds or a suite as they provide additional space to spread out.

Thank you for staying with us, and I do hope that you give us another opportunity to exceed you expectations in the future.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

The best part is that it is within walking distance of the National Mall. No need to take the subway! Traffic noises are minimal, as it is not located on any major streets. The room was very clean, but the only mirrors were in the bathroom. TV and wifi is free. There are two computers in the lobby, open anytime. It is right around the corner from a 7-11 store and a Subway. There is a cafe downstairs. There is a Bertucci's, an Italian restaurant, Founding Farmers, and a Johnny Rockets a few blocks away. I would definitely return!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Catherine W

Thank you so much for your kind review. I am happy to hear that you were able to take advantage of our close proximity to the many beautiful Washington DC attractions. I do hope that we have the opportunity to have you as our guest on future travels to Washington DC.

Thank you again for staying with us!

Reviewed 13 April 2014

My son and I took a weekend trip to DC and we stayed at the Courtyard. The hotel was located in a good location, just blocks from the Lincoln Memorial and the White House. We were able to walk everywhere, even to the Mall and Capital. There are several dining options located nearby. The rooms are updated and the lobby and general areas are comfortable. The staff was very friendly as well. The restaurant was good, but was under staffed, causing delays on the Sunday morning. I would return to this hotel based on the location and good rate that it offers.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Phil M

Thank you for your review of the Courtayrd Foggy Bottom, and I am so happy that you, like many reviewers were able to enjoy and take advantage of our prime location. I do apologize for the delay in our Bistro, and appreciate the feedback. We have added additional staffing on our peak weekend days and times to ensure that we can meet our guests needs. I do hope that if your travels bring you back to Washington DC that we can have you as our guest again.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

We were booked for an extended 8-night stay in a 2-bed room at the Courtyard Marriott in Foggy Bottom. Despite the confirmed booking they had us stay in another room for the first night and then transfer to our actual room the next day. Not the best beginning for our stay. They gave us a $50 discount as the replacement room had only one bed and one of us had to use the sofabed. When we got to our room we discovered there were no sheets or pillows for the sofabed. That was even less auspicious. Housekeeping was fairly prompt in getting us the sheets but the first night did not see us off to a great start at this hotel. The staffers at reception made appropriate apologies but this hassle should have been avoided to begin with and was needlessly inconvenient. We were given a small discount for the first night for this inconvenience. The reception desk held our luggage for us the following morning while we were out for the day. There was no specific room assignment at that time but we were assured that our luggage would be delivered to our room. When we got back everything was already in the new room as promised.

The decor of the lobby and rooms is tidy and contemporary as noted by many reviewers. The rooms were spacious enough as were the bathrooms. Housekeeping did a good job keeping the room tidy.The toiletries lacked lotion, for some reason.

The location was excellent for visiting GWU which practically surrounded it. The World Bank and IMF were just up the road. The White House was but a few blocks away giving us the chance to view at night and during the day. The Washington Monument and Lincoln Memorial seemed equidistant from the hotel, about a mile away.

It initially seemed a quiet location but we had arrived on a weekend. Come Monday morning we encountered the commuters and the traffic right outside. No chance of sleeping in in our room. Even on our final weekend morning we were awakened around 5AM by a loud truck engine and grinding/groaning mechanical sounds. Garbage pick up? We were on the third floor facing 20th street. While it was nice to have some view, the limited view and lack if anything scenic to enjoy certainly did not make up for the street noise. Stay on a higher floor and/or face away from the street.

All the relevant sights are an easy walk away, anyway. The closest Metro stations were GWU/Foggy Bottom and Farragut West (Blue and Orange) both about half-mile away, a less than 10 minute walk. The Red line was a bit farther away at the Farragut North, perhaps three-fourths mile northeast on 17th Street. There were multiple bus routes near the hotel; we took the 31 from Virginia Ave just south up to Georgetown. We took the N6 from the corner of 18th and K to view Embassy Row and the National Cathedral.

We ate several times at The Bistro on the ground floor. We had a late night snack on arrival just before closing. The crab cakes were OK, the service was prompt and friendly. We had breakfast there the following morning and even though it was busy there were only 2 women at the counter. they took our order for 2 cups of regular coffee and 1 cup each of fresh fruit and granola parfait as they had run out of these items am had to make them from scratch. We got a number, got our coffees, sat at a table, and waited for the staff to deliver breakfast. We sipped our coffees and waited some more. 20 minutes passed. We finally checked back and found the 2 items sitting in ice and apparently not about to be delivered. On a subsequent breakfast service was faster but we also saw that the ladies had more help. We also had dinner at the Bistro another night and thoroughly enjoyed the Bistro Burgers. The rigatoni dish was too salty, however.

In addition to the Bistro in the hotel, there was a Subway in the same building just to your left upon exit as well as a Starbucks just around the corner also in the same structure. There were countless dining options within a short walking distance.

One morning the fire alarm went off in the morning as we were about to leave. Fortunately it was a false alarm. I was in the lobby waiting for the rest of the family to come down. It seemed to me that the staff did not display an appropriate sense of urgency in getting guests out of the building, but I do not know what the hotel fire drill protocol dictates.

Later towards the end of our stay the shower handle loosened up and would no longer turn on the water. It was fixed fairly quickly once the handyman came back with the right tool. He told us that this particular handle design got loose once every 2 or 3 months

Overall we had a decent stay. We appreciated the location. The staff was uniformly friendly and helpful. "Things" do happen, which I understand, but I still do not understand why we could not have had our room from the first night. There were subsequent issues that arose, albeit lesser ones. The hotel did make amends and fix what went awry. The Foggy Bottom Courtyard by Marriott made for a good base for exploring D.C.

Room Tip: Avoid road noise by choosing higher floor or room not facing the street.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear ImmerWandern,

I wnat to thank you for you review and feedback of the Courtyard Foggy Bottom. I do apologize for your room type not being available and the issues that followed on the first night of your stay. I understand how frustrating that must have been after a long day of trave, and want to assure you that this is not a typical occurance. I am glad that the front desk staff was able to compensate you for this service issue, and take care of moving you the next day while you were out exploring. As you noted we are in a prime location to the beautiful Washington DC sights, and there are many transportation options in close proximity to help our guests explore even further, and Iam happy that you were able to take advantage of all of those.

I do hope that if you have the opportunity to travel to the Washinton DC area again, that you give us the opportiunity to exceed your expecations.

Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

We were very pleased as the facility was very new, clean ,comfortable, and convenient to many of the monuments and sites of Washington and Arlington. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We would stay here again.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Robert B

Dear Robert,

Thank you for your kind review of our newly bulit location, in a prime Washington DC area. I am happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay and hope that if your travel brings you to Washington DC in the future that we have the pleasure of having you as our guest again.