“Above and Beyond”

Ranked #49 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Princeton, Indiana
“Above and Beyond”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We booked Courtyard by Marriott Foggy Bottom for a two night stay while moving our student into George Washington University Summer Housing. It's on the same block as Mitchell Hall, so super convenient. We also came into DC on Hwy 66 and this was very easy to find - which is a big plus for me! The hotel was very clean, great location within walking distance of the National Mall, bed was comfortable, restaurant was convenient and good (we just had breakfast but they also serve supper), and I was very pleased with all staff we encountered from the time we checked in until we left. The first night we couldn't get the room cool enough, called the front desk, and maintenance was at the room and working on/adjusting the AC within 10 minutes. The next day we had a special request of the front desk clerks, and both female clerks (who I unfortunately did not get their names) went above and beyond to assist us. We will definitely stay here again and wouldn't hesitate to recommend the hotel to anyone. I'd like to see the cost of parking reduced, but other than that have no complaints. Subway is next door, and Starbucks on the corner.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Travel Fan 2
Erin A, General Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
I want to thank you for your review of our hotel! I am so pleased that we were able to meet and even exceed your expectations,and I will be sharing your feedback with the entire team. Thank you for staying with us, and we hope to see you again soon.

Safe and Happy Travels!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Czech first
Allentown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is a pretty typical Courtyard by Marriott hotel. Everything was clean and functional. The staff was quite friendly and helpful. We spend most of our time at The Vietnam Wall and the other memorials at that end of the Mall--this hotel is a perfect location for that end of town.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us, and thank you for your review of our hotel. We do hope to see you again if your travels bring you to Washignton DC in the future

Thank you again.
China Grove, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed here over Memorial weekend with my wife and daughter. Our son was with his school Marching Band in town for the Memorial Day Parade. They let us check in early on Friday since they already had rooms ready which saved us multiple trips to the parking deck. The front desk was very helpful getting the room worked out, showing us some guide maps, telling us what was close by (it's literally a couple of blocks from the White House to the east and the Lincoln Memorial to the south) You can seriously walk to just about everything you need to get to from this hotel, and if not there is a City Bike station right across the street.
The room was spotless, and the bed was amazing (it felt awesome to crash on that thing after walking all day). We stayed in a King + Couch/Fold out bed so we'd have a larger bed since we didn't have both kids, and the foldout worked out great for our daughter, The AC kept the room very comfortable (we like it cold, and it did the job well). There is a Starbucks in the same building, which my wife enjoyed every morning, but if they are closed there is also a limited Starbucks menu at the hotel bar.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thank you so much for your review of our property! I am so happy to hear that our excellent location allowed you to explore this beautiful city. Even happier that you were able to relax and unwind in our beautiful rooms. I will be sharing your feedback with the entire team here. We do hope to have you and your family as our guest again the next time you are in the area.

Thank you again for staying with us.
Mebane, North Carolina
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My husband and I stayed here over Memorial day weekend and we were really pleased with not only the hotel but the location. The hotel staff were friendly and willing to help us with maps, etc. almost immediatly upon arrival. We actually got there 2 hours before check in and they were able to accomodate us with a room for early check in. It was a 15 min walk to the White House and the National Mall and was in a safe location that we felt comfortable walking through even at night. The rooms were always clean and tidy and the beds were very comfortable.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Brandi,

Thank you so much for your review of our property. I am pleased to hear that our staff was able to take care of you during your stay with us, and that you were able to explore the city due to our prime location. We truly appreciate you staying with us and, hope to have you as our guest again if you are in the D.C. area again.
Boston
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Stayed at the Courtyard near Foggy Bottom for a meeting nearby. The room was esthetic, with lovely modern decorative touches. Bed and bedding was excellent as were the in-room facilities (bathroom, closet space, toiletries). But, the reception staff is in serious need of re-training and the food "bar" is abysmal. When I entered the hotel to check in, both men at the reception desk were chatting away, and kept me waiting. When they finally took notice, I was checked in speedily, but with no information provided about where elevators are, internet access, etc. Both the night before and the morning of my departure, I asked if they could call a cab for the trip to the airport. Both times I was rebuffed: "no one here calls a cab anymore because they use "Uber". When I requested a cab again the morning, I was told they would have no luck hailing a cab for me (calling was out of the question) but lo and behold, a limo was outside to take me to the airport at about 75% above the cost of the cab ride. Very unpleasant. The hotel has an interesting fast food bar that prepares hot, light, quick meals on the spot. The grilled cheese sandwich I ordered was abysmal, with obviously stale bread and cold un-melted cheese. That evening, as a snack, I ordered melted brie with cut up apples. The apples still had the core/ seeds attached, and had been cut with a dirty knife because the slices were covered with a layer of dark brown bread crumbs from toast.The brie was actually brie rind with little cheese in the middle. All in all, the hotel is lovely and the rooms are pleasant, but the staff is in need of re-training or overhaul.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank lilacroller
Erin A, General Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
I want to first thank you for staying with us, and for your feedback on our hotel and staff service. I am happy that you enjoyed our new guestrooms and modern public spaces. It is always our goal to provide a comfortable, refreshing, and productive environment for all of our guests. It appears that we fell short of that goal during your stay, and I do apologize. I will be sharing your feedback regarding the guest service and food and beverage offerings for training and development purposes.

Thank you again, and I do hope that if in the area again you give us the opportunity to provide you with exceptional service.
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We chose this hotel for the secure parking and because it is within walking distance to the west Mall monuments and the White House. Also, there are many good restaurants withing walking distance also. The front desk staff was very polite and helpful (we needed a corkscrew and they were happy to loan us one) plus they have a very nice bar area off the lobby. The bedroom was comfortable yet a bit small BUT the bathroom was huge! For the parking and location alone we would definately stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Erin A, General Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you so much for your review. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed our amazing location and that our staff was helpful during your stay, and I will be sharing your feed back with them. Looking forward to you visiting in the future.

Thank you again, and safe and happy travels!
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Stayed here for three nights on holiday. The hotel is new and all rooms felt fresh and clean. Room was a good size.

Location of the hotel was excellent within walking distance to most of the main sights and museums. It's quiet in the area in the evening but certainly felt safe walking around in the evening.

Service on the front desk was good although the hotel was fully booked when I was there so had to wait for a short time to check in.

Some negatives regarding the hotel include.....an unusual shower mechanism and a poorly equipped gym with no weights equipment.

However, these were minor irritations and overall it was a great stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Espresso74
Erin A, General Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
I first want to thank you for your review of our property. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed our new guestrooms and excellent location. I do apologize for the wait at the front desk, as you said it is a very busy location. Thank you for your feedback regarding the fitness center, as we will take that into consieration for furture equiptment purchases.

Thank you again for staying with us! Safe and happy travels!