“Some of the best food in the area.”
Review of Range

Range
Reserve with OpenTable
Range is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #557 of 3,257 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: US$20 - US$40
Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: In 2011, after opening three well-received restaurants in Frederick, MD, celebrated Chef Bryan Voltaggio launched his first concept in the nation's capital with RANGE. This spacious 14,000 square-foot restaurant, located in the Friendship Heights neighborhood, includes over 300 seats and 9-kitchen stations, including a raw bar, salumeria, wood-fired grill, pasta station, rotisserie, and bakery. A culmination of all his experiences as a chef, Chef Bryan Voltaggio offers inventive American cuisine inspired by regional mid-Atlantic flavors and ingredients. RANGE-named after the various foods available from local ranges within the Chesapeake watershed-focuses on serving a variety of dishes from an extensive menu of nearly 100 a la carte items. RANGE also shares space with Aggio, Voltaggio's Italian restaurant-within-a-restaurant.
Fort Myers, Florida
“Some of the best food in the area.”
Reviewed 27 March 2013

I was debating between giving Range 4 or five stars. Without question the food warrants five stars. I didn't love the place(more on that later) or the service, but as I think back over all the restaurants I have tried in the DC area over the last few years, Range may very well have served the best tasting food of them all.
The place was a little weird to me. It reminded me of a nice food court. It was comfortable and all. I just didn't fancy the fact that the scenery pretty much consists of a mall and an Embassy Suites Hotel.
After we were seated it took 10 minutes for our server to check in with us. Range has a unique menu that needs some explanation(especially if it is one's first time). After we ordered drinks it took another 10 minutes for them to get to our table. After those two little snafus and a nice chat with one of the managers everything went swimmingly. On a side note the manager who talked with us was quite nice and interesting.
The food; We tried lots of stuff, and everything was good. The things that really stood out were the linguini with sea urchin, the cheddar chive biscuits, the pizza(better than Two Amy's), and the pork cheek. Like I said though everything was top notch. They tell you to order three or four plates per person. I am a pretty big eater and I think 2 or three plates per person is more than adequate. I will be back, not so much for the place but for the food.

Visited March 2013

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Go for the food, leave with the candy!”
Reviewed 21 March 2013

The menu is extensive because there are 9 different chefs competing for the love of your taste buds. The preparation of many-layered flavors in each dish is exquisite. Service is good although a little slow at the end of the meal. Be sure and have the Candy Counter brought to your table. The Candy Connoisseur Chris (call him Skip) is a show unto himself and you will want to have one of everything on his trays.
Very enjoyable.
Not hard to get to - take Red Line to Friendship Heights and the Metro escalator takes you to the mall. No need to brave the weather.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A virtual ATM dispenser for the owner”
Reviewed 20 March 2013

Beware. This is a small-plates restaurant with a meat protein center. None of the non-meat entrees are even appetizer size. And the three we had were tasteless: duck galatine with black truffle; chestnut ravioli with butternut squash (three postage stamp-sized); cassoulet. Only the lobster boudin had any flavor. This is formula cooking at its most boring. Assemble a host of attractive sounding dishes and lace them with cured pork to try to make up for technique and effort. Judging by the crowd, diners are a virtual ATM dispenser for the owner.

Frederick, Maryland
“great pizza”
Reviewed 16 March 2013

I had a late lunch at Range on Thursday. Although the menu is extensive, I knew what I wanted: pizza. I have been following pizziolo Edan Macquaid around town ever since he left 2 Amys. He was at lunch service and he did not disappoint. I was seated at the pizza oven counter and got to watch all the pizza action. Very entertaining. I chose the salami, preserved tomatoes, and burrata pizza with a well-done crust and it came out beautifully charred and tasty. Serendipitiously, my server was Edan's wife who follows him around and is incredibly charming. To start, I had the fennel and arugula salad. It was too heavily dressed for me, but had a good flavor especially with the addition of blood orange slices. The blood oranges encouraged me to order the special sorbet for dessert which was blood orange and it was delicious. Very nice wine list by the glass. I had two glasses of Nebbiola that went well with my meal.

I am already thinking about when I can get back for more.

Overland Park, Kansas
“Very cool place even though inside a mall”
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Terrific food with creative, original items on the menu. Not for bargain hunters. Very fresh seafood as well as variety of meat dishes as well as thin crust gourmet pizzas. All items are small to medium size. Everything we tried from the octopus to the lamb chop was wonderful except a salad which was bland.

1 Thank lou07_11