“Above and Beyond”

Hampton Inn Washington, D.C./White House
Ranked #28 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Hampton Inn is not my first choice when booking a hotel, but the price and location here were good, so I have it a shot. If you are planning a visit to DC, you should consider staying here. The staff were friendly and attentive, but only as far as was reasonable. I arrived with a toddler and a massive amount of luggage three hours before check-in, expecting to meet with a front desk person who would rather I not be there, but nothing could be farther from the truth. The clerk promised to get us in a room as soon as she could, and actually followed us through the lobby about an hour later to let us know it was ready. The bellman chatted with my son and let him "help" push the luggage cart upstairs. The room was small with a view of a brick wall five feet away, but it was clean and comfortable. The indoor pool is small and cold, and the pool room smells strongly of chlorine, but I was surprised they even had one. A hot tub would be a nice addition.

What happened on the day of our check-out is where the hotel went from "good" to "great." We left on July 4th to go overseas and I needed to send some important items to a few people. Of course, in the chaos of traveling with a small, demanding child, I boxed and labeled our packages the night before, intending to take them to the post office before we left. Oops, national holiday- USPS is closed. What to do? My luggage is already bulging and probably overweight. I can't take the packages with me. I can't mail them from where I am going, anyway. I asked Ariel Danley, who was "woman-ing" the front desk that day, for suggestions. Upon my request she agreed to take my boxes to the post office the following Monday and send them off for me. She even appeared to be genuinely happy to do it! I tipped her, but she agreed before I ever mentioned a tip.

Besides all that, the staff were accommodating of my distracted, harried demeanor, and tolerant of my hyper child, who had been traveling for over two weeks and was quite boisterous by then.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 11 July 2014

I can't say enough wonderful things about our stay at this hotel! My husband and I had a night away here, and thanks to the outstanding staff and service, the cleanliness, the decor, the convenience to staple DC landmarks, we had the best weekend ever. We will recommend the Hampton Inn White House to all friends, family, and strangers alike.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ashley B
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Excellent desk staff, warmly greeted and offered assistance. Room in excellent condition and housekeeping did a wonderful job each day. The complimentary breakfast was one of the best I have had at a Hampton Inn. All this with a great location.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
Reviewed 10 July 2014

This hotel is extremely clean and well-maintained. Everyone on staff is helpful -- I felt like we had our own personal concierge service! It's also located literally just a few blocks from the White House & one block from the metro -- and I felt it was a safe location. If traveling with children, know that the pool is smaller than a standard Hampton, but if you're coming for business or to see the sites, this is the absolute perfect hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 July 2014

My wife and I live in Virginia and wanted a weekend getaway for our anniversary. We decided to go downtown to see the monuments and were pleased to find out there was a Hampton nearby. We've had good experience with this chain in the past and like their free breakfast. The place was easily accessible by Metro and just a short walk to the Mall. The front desk was efficient and knowledgeable about the area. In general, the staff was very upbeat and everyone's service was great. The room was quiet and clean. We would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I stayed here for a business trip in April 2014. I had not been to DC for a business conference or even stayed overnight at any other time in DC. I was worried, but this place was wonderful!! The staff were AWESOME! The hotel as a whole was WONDERFUL!! Location was great to all the attractions, food and my conference. I look forwarding to staying here again. Thank you.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank S G
Reviewed 7 July 2014

The staff is outstanding from check in with Gabby, to meeting Joe in the evening. Paula was in training what an asset. Traveling alone they made my stay ,very comfortable. Very clean good breakfast before sight seeing I will be back and will highly recommend.
Marilyn M