“I got a headache from smiling...”

minibar, Washington, D.C.
Ranked #321 of 3,386 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Look, not all the dishes presented were my taste but the playful, inventive and cheeky staff made for an experience that was memorable and worth every penny. We were especially impressed that they offered a non alcoholic food pairing that was imaginative and delicious. We will never forget our dinner at Minibar.

1  Thank Kelli D

Reviewed 6 February 2014

My wife and I went to minibar mid week. We have been to a lot of restaurants in all parts of the world and minibar is definitely among the top in terms of overall experience. Great, creative food and terrific service and setting. I don't get the comments from some people below that they did not get enough food. I was definitely full. I liked the start with hot and cold pisco sour. The almond tart with blue cheese and the rubber ducky were delicious and fun. Likewise the Vietnamese pig ear and the squab. Perfectly prepared and served. Th same goes for the beech mushroom papillot and the late night shawarma. I did not care so much for the beef churro--too greasy and I felt I wanted to brush my teeth afterward. The desserts were great. All in all it took 2 1/2 hours and we did not feel rushed at all. It is very pricey, but still good definitely worth it as once a year event.

4  Thank UE_DC64
Reviewed 31 January 2014

This restaurant is great if you have had very limited experience traveling the world for food. Of the 25 dishes we had, about 23 I have eaten elsewhere before. The service was very good and friendly albeit rushed for the next seating (you are practically thrown out for coffee and the final part of your meal). The entire evening was a little pretentious (dinner ofter spoken of as the "experience") and for the four of us, anticlimactic. It could have done with another meat dish and one less small dish in the buildup. We left to the bar next door and ordered more food.

2  Thank terrymlon
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Minibar is the kind of place that you go when you want to (a) splurge and (b) expand your gastronomic horizons. You should know that this is not like a regular restaurant. You don't really choose what you get and you will get 25-30 tastings of clever dishes which amuse your senses and broaden your range of what might be done in a kitchen/lab. You watch as the chefs/servers prepare each dish with exquisite care, using tools like hypodermics, tweezers and tiny bottles of flavoring. You eat in a cohort of six diners and you get to converse with your fellow foodies.

Jose Andres has expanded Washington's culinary scene, specializing in tapas and small plates. In Minibar her has taken this to the limit in a fascinating frontier.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

I'm a foodie. I hate to admit it. But I search out good restaurants. There is nothing better than to have a good meal. At this caliber, I expect food to be great and look for the complete experience. Which I gave gotten from minibar.

I've been to the original where there were on,y 6 seats 2 seating a night. Since renovation, it's bigger with 6 seats with 4 seating a night. I must say I prefer the intimacy of pre renovations. I can interact with the chefs and ask about the dishes. It's truly an experience. Something I haven't gotten anywhere else.

Compared to other top ranked restaurants in DC, NYC, San Francisco, etc this place is by far the best.

Please go now. I go at least 2-4 times a year.