“Bucket List Item”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

Not enough words to describe Minibar. It was an extraordinary culinary experience!! Each dish was creative and delicious. Service was superb; extremely knowledgeable and attentive to detail. The wait (to get a reservation) and the price were well worth it. Just go and experience it yourself!!!!

1  Thank maianga

Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

You all know already that Minibar is a unique experience not to be missed. Not much to add to that. Except that it's exceptionally good and fun!
The addition of BarMini at the end has been a winner.
My trick to get a reservation is to let them know we pick up last minute cancellations.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

For DC this is probably as good as it is going to get if you are looking for a first tier restaurant that can compare with two and three star Michelin restaurants globally (think Alinea or Fat Duck but just not as good). We enjoyed the style of the restaurant, attention to detail, the menu, and service. We started our night at Bar Mini, which I thought was simply fantastic, and moved onto Mini Bar next door. The transition to dinner was handled very well by the staff.

The individual dishes were all executed flawlessly, beautiful and the timing perfect. Of course some were better than others but none failed to please. The only downfall to the food was redundancy in some of the flavors and ingredients so closely served to each other.

The reason I'm giving 4 stars instead of 5 is the wine paring. We ordered the Jose’s Selection which was to be, at least our understanding was, mostly reserve wines and well selected parings. It’s $200 per person compared to the Experience Selection at $75 (there are also two others, Celebration; Champagne and sparkling at $125, and a non-alcoholic mock-tails at $45) we expected something better. Almost all were off and not pared well with the food. Some of the choices were just downright awful. There is a reason Slovenia is not known for their wine. It tastes just like bad grappa! I noticed other reviews commented on the short pours of most of the wines. I did think this also, at the beginning, but by the end of the meal realized we had quite a bit of wine. I just found myself drinking things I would never bother with myself due to lack of anything better offered. This was hugely disappointing since most restaurants we go to and spend this type of money (our bill was $1400 with the Bar mini cocktails, for two) typically have phenomenal wines. I think we had two out of ~13 we would actually consider drinking again. I can't say the other paring options are any better. In fact, some of the Experience parings were the same as our Jose’s Selection. Hmmmm...., kind of lazy if you ask me. All 6 guests at our table pretty much covered all the options for wine. The Bar mini cocktails though; completely other end of the spectrum. Excellent.

It was very entertaining watching the preparation of our dishes and I enjoyed the setup of our dinning space. I never felt overly full but felt more than satisfied at the end of the night. The staff are delighted to discuss the dishes and answer questions. They almost seemed to encourage it. Love these kind of people dedicated to my foodie addiction!

3  Thank Daphnesmom_11
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Had the extream pleasure of dining at minibar on 4/5/2014. Johnnie and hisminibar team were most impressive! The menu that night was in part, inspired by the Cherry Blossoms, thus having a few dishes which were asian influenced! We ordered the bubbly drink package, equally impressive!..Each mouthful burst with flavors which were wonderfully layerd, while each beverage was paired to perfection!!!!
Then off to barmini where Juan oversaw the cocktail lab! Outstanding evening, outstanding culinary experience. Outstanding staff and service. A must visit!!

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Our meal at minibar last night was the best we have ever had, and we are comparing it to some of the top restaurants in the US and around the world where we had the good fortune to dine. Jose Andres creativity exceeds anything I have seen from other chefs. Every single course was beautifully presented, served extremely well by the hard working staff, and was to die for, as they say. Reservations are hard to get, so start now to get a date to go.