“OMG!”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Awesome steak and frites! The bone marrow and steak tartare appetizers were to die for. Don't leave without getting profiteroles for dessert! Wow! We will be back.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

We unfortunately started out sitting next to a very loud table; the acoustics are far from ideal upstairs. When we moved to another table in the back room, we got a little lost in the shuffle as the waiter did not come over for a while, but the manager came over later to apologize and offered to cover after dinner drinks or dessert. The food was worth waiting for as the vegetable soup and goat cheese salad were both excellent, as were the duck confit and hamburger. We recommend the restaurant and would definitely return, but probably during the week when it would be less noisy and crowded.

Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

It is terrific that Spike has embraced Capitol Hill, and his third restaurant is the best yet.

We were given a nice table upstairs and bread with butter arrived quickly. Although not served warm, the bread was crusty with a great yeasty texture. The butter had a little sea salt which was a nice touch.

The wine list offers a nice selection if $40 bottles, and we selected the Malbec.

Each if the three of us ordered off the prix fixe menu. The French onion soup was the weak link. Not sure why it didn't grab me on a freezing cold evening, but it didn't. The house salad with a light vinegarette was terrific.

The best deal turned out to be the $28 flat iron steak. Served medium rare, it was as tender as the $42 filet Mignon. The classic Bernaise was superb. I had ordered the spicy Bernaise, and my sister selected the bordelaise sauce. All three of us preferred the traditional Bernaise.

The steaks come with wonderful frites. And they will bring you more if you ask. We also shared the flash fried Brussel sprouts. Another excellent side but wasn't really necessary.

No room for dessert this time, but we will return. Well worth a visit and highly recommend. Dinner for three with wine, tax and tip was about $200.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

This is not totally fair- I'll admit it- a pre fixe New Year's Eve menu shouldn't be indicative of the overall restaurant quality. But my experience tonight was so bad that despite being 2:30AM on January 1, and being a little tipsy, I had to document what happened.

We started off poorly... when my party of was seated at a great table on the first floor, square, in the corner, perfect for conversation. It was 10PM- enough time for dinner before a champagne toast at midnight. But then we were promptly unseated... and I saw the famous Spike tell the hostess to remove us so 8 girls dressed liked escorts could take our places. We were re-seated on the second floor.

And ignored.

Our soup was finally served at 11:15. It was cold. The cheese had coagulated into a gelatinous mass of faux Gruyere. The broth was thin and lacked depth and the tiny tureens were so overfilled you couldn't insert a spoon without spilling. For some reason they brought us a glass of champagne. Was this to toast the meal or to celebrate 2014? I was confused.

Finally a waiter brought us the two bottles of wine we ordered. Oh- no he didn't. He got the order wrong. Wait another 10 minutes. That wine cellar must be in Jersey.

The salad came next. On my plate the lettuce leaves were still attached at the stem. I basically had a small head of lettuce with a wad of warm goat cheese and some beets scattered underneath. I wasn't half way through that my main course was brought out. It was a choice: retire the half eaten salad or make room for the entree.

My duck was good- not going to lie. Though the plate was extremely sloppy. Sauce was poured haphazardly and the "l'orange" seriously lacked any orange flavor. Just a spritz of orange zest or a shot of Grand Marinier... heck I would have settled for triple sec at that point.

Midnight came and went. At 12:20 we were served profiteroles that were dense, tough and harsh. And much, much too big. The French don't eat profiteroles the size of apples.

We just wanted the check. It took forever to get our waiter. Almost an hour later I was finally able to escape. And I went 2 doors down to a dive bar, had a Miller Lite, and finally celebrated New Years.

That whole miserable experience cost me over $150. Like I said- it's unfair to judge the restaurant by tonight- maybe the place is great, the service attentive, the food elegant. But I'll never know because I will never return. I made this reservation weeks ago, was excited and willing to spend my money, and was treated like a chump. Spike's celebrity, fedoras and hair gel has gone to his head. His restaurant is not up to par and after how I was treated tonight I won't buy another thing- not a burger or a pizza- from any place under this name. He may not think I deserve better, but I do... and it's my money.

Happy 2014.

1  Thank DCInsider
Reviewed 19 December 2013

The food here is amazing. The size and atmosphere of the restaurant make for a cozy, intimate dining experience. The limited menu is full of great, rich, delicious food. The food is well complemented by a reasonable wine list. If you are looking for a hearty, delicious steak frites experience, this is your place!