“Bloody Mary at the Old Boys Club”
Review of Old Ebbitt Grill

Old Ebbitt Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Old Ebbitt Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 3,465 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: US$10 - US$40
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: 15th between F and G
Transit: Metro: Red Line to Metro Center, Orange/Blue to McPherson Square
Description: Established in 1856, the Old Ebbitt Grill was a favorite of Presidents Grant, Cleveland, Harding, and Theodore Roosevelt. The restaurant's decor is comprised of a Beaux-Arts facade, mahogany and velvet booths, and bars set in marble, brass, and beveled glass. Old Ebbitt serves a diverse selection of food including steaks, seafood, pasta, sandwiches, and also features an Oyster Bar with oysters form both coasts. Open early for breakfast and weekend brunch, and serving lunch, dinner and a late-night menu. Private and semi-private dining rooms including a rooftop overlooking the monuments and The White House.
Reviewed 3 August 2012

Dark walls, plush velvet, and lots of wood, tells you that this is the hangout of politicians and ladies who lunch. The brunch is well known and a good way to hang out. Bloody Mary's are large.

Write a ReviewReviews (10,350)

Reviewed 2 August 2012

Had lunch there, the atmosphere was awesome, the oysters were to die for and everything else was superb. I hear it's the happening place to hang out for drinks on Sunday nights.

Reviewed 2 August 2012

I treated my parents to Old Ebbitt, and they were very pleased. I did not know the area (I was in town for business) and I am glad I picked this restaurant. We had raw oysters, and I remeber having a shrimp coconut curry dish and everything was wonderful.

Reviewed 2 August 2012

A little expensive (oysters were $23/dozen unless you got them during happy hour 5 - 7 PM when they were half price) but fantastic selection and fresh as can be. If you have nevr had one, try the Bloody Maryland (the Old Bay seasoning makes it extra delicious). Service is attentive without being overbearing - it is loud (especially during happy hour) and packed (reservation for a table is strongly recommended but easy to do if you use Open Table, even more so if you use the Open Table app). My only complaint - they often don't have table quite big enough for parties of 5 or 6 so you tend to get put into a booth with either one or two people stuffed onto the ends. Otherwise, we have been going for 15 years everytime we are in DC and it is still our favorite.

Reviewed 2 August 2012

I think this restaurant has so much personality and atmosphere, that you are comfortable no matter what occasion brings you to DC. My husband and I went there for breakfast and not only did we get seated right away and felt special because of the superb service but we loved looking around at the amazing architecture and history.

Go there! You won't be disappointed even though it is a little expensive.