“Good food despite swarms of tourist like me”
Review of Old Ebbitt Grill

Old Ebbitt Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Old Ebbitt Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 3,285 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: US$10 - US$40
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: 15th between F and G
Transit: Metro: Red Line to Metro Center, Orange/Blue to McPherson Square
Description: Established in 1856, the Old Ebbitt Grill was a favorite of Presidents Grant, Cleveland, Harding, and Theodore Roosevelt. The restaurant's decor is comprised of a Beaux-Arts facade, mahogany and velvet booths, and bars set in marble, brass, and beveled glass. Old Ebbitt serves a diverse selection of food including steaks, seafood, pasta, sandwiches, and also features an Oyster Bar with oysters form both coasts. Open early for breakfast and weekend brunch, and serving lunch, dinner and a late-night menu. Private and semi-private dining rooms including a rooftop overlooking the monuments and The White House.
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Old Ebbitt is a Washington classic. You sit very well and the noise level is not overwhelming. We are not brunch people, but the food was very good.

There are newer reviews for Old Ebbitt Grill

Reviewed 17 June 2014

My girlfriends and I had drinks and dinner here, after a day of business meetings and sightseeing. We arrived well before our reservation (those are a must!) so we sat at the bar until our table was ready. It was raw bar happy hour, and we had wonderful oysters, steamed clams, and drinks. The bartender was hilarious and attentive, and we enjoyed this part of our evening even more than the actual dinner (which was also very good). I make it a point to visit Old Ebbitt every time I'm in D.C. Great place!

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We couldn't get reservations for a busy Saturday night so we tried our luck at the Corner Bar. We got lucky and got seats at the bar just in time to see the Belmont Stakes. The service for food and drinks was fantastic. The bartenders here are some of the best in DC. Oh yeah-the food was great too!

Reviewed 16 June 2014

What a great experience! We were unable to get reservations. We ate at the bar...the back bar where Joe runs the bar like his private club. We ordered several of his suggestions. I enjoyed the shrimp angel hair pasta. My sister said her crab cake was excellent. Also loved my mojito. I recommend this for anyone looking for a special experience in DC.

1  Thank Mary P
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We ate here for both lunch and breakfast. Both times it was a fantastic experience. It's conveniently located next to the White House, has an old time Victorian feel to it. The staff are very friendly and efficient. The service cannot be faulted.

The food was great too. We had hamburgers for lunch; the beef was grass fed and the burger to other ingredient ratio was perfect so you could taste the beef not just the other stuff. For breakfast we had the stuffed French toast and eggs Benedict. The French toast was delicious, the perfect blend of salty bacon and sweet maple. The eggs Benedict was very good, but the hollandaise was not quite up to par--but then I am a hollandaise snob. My husband assures me the hollandaise was a cut above.

Please go, you will have a good experience.