“Excellent Food in a great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Sequoia

Sequoia
Reserve with OpenTable
Sequoia is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #254 of 3,196 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: US$30 - US$50
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Bar Scene, Business meetings, Child-friendly, View, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 30th
Transit: Ten minute walk from the Foggy Bottom Metro Station (Orange/Blue lines)
Description: 2017 is upon us and in light of the New Year, we are refreshing our entire look! As beautiful as our space is, a fresh coat of paint (so to speak) never hurt, so we will be closing our doors until the first week of June 2017, which, is right around the corner. Stay informed by following our social media post updates. We look forward to seeing you soon! The jewel of the Washington Harbour, Sequoia remains a landmark of fine dining by the Potomac. Our culinary team creates innovative, modern American fare. Coupled with panoramic views of the Kennedy Center, the Watergate, Memorial and Key Bridges and the flotilla of boats passing by, Sequoia creates an unforgettable dining experience. Please note all reservations are for inside only. Dining on the patio is seated on a first come, first served basis.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Excellent Food in a great location”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Great location on the edge of Georgetown, and on the river edge. Very good food, indoor and outdoor dining, with pre dinner drinks area outdoors as well. Slightly more formal facilities, although smart casual was very appropriate.

Netherlands
“Great seafood..”
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Superb view too. The overall menu is nothing special so I understand the average rating if this place. But, to be fair, the seafood is very good. Fresh, authentic, nicely served. The staff is attentive and professional giving you the "I like your company, have some more food, enjoy"-feeling. Recommended, if you stick to sea..

Fairfield, OH
“BEAUTIFUL VIEW - OUTDOOR SEATING”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Although the menu was a little limited and $$ , the seating outside is gorgeous. Beautiful view overlooking the Potomac River. Loved eating dinner outside. Great service as well.

Visited July 2014
DC
“Tried to kill my mom”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

My 78 year old mom visited us, and we took her out to the waterfront where my daughter used to row. Perhaps not the best idea as the heat was oppressive. At the harbor, she became faint, and we needed to find a restaurant with air conditioning for a late lunch. We found a place in the shade, and I hopped from restaurant to restaurant until talking to the maitre d at the Sequoia. She said that they had a table for three, and I told her that I would be back in a few minutes with the rest of my party. Problem solved, or so I thought.

After having my mom walk a half block and climb two flights of stairs, she arrived at the restaurant exhausted and unsteady. We were then informed that it was a few minutes past 2pm and that they were no longer seating. I reminded the maitre d that I was just there, spoken to her, and that there was no problem then so how could there possibly be a problem now. Her supervisor was there who said there was only seating outside in the heat. I said that this was totally unacceptable as my mom was overheated. She said that that was just too bad. We would not be seated in spite of the 50 or so people that we could see already at tables.

I, of course, argued, but to no avail. My mom literally couldn't stand anymore, so I abandoned the discussion so that I could attend to her. We sat in the lobby for a ten minutes or so until she recovered enough for us to head out and find another restaurant several blocks away. She had to sit on stoops and benches along the way. It was all a bit scary.

I am appalled that Sequoia personnel could be so heartless. There was no mention of the hard stop at 2pm when I talked to them beforehand, and it was only after showing up with my clearly woozy mom that I found out that a seat was out of the question. Rude and uncaring hardly signify. This was a sneering and mean spirited performance of people using what meager power they have to harm another to the degree possible.

I've lived in DC for a few decades now, and the Sequoia has the reputation as a tourist trap. It must be a horrible place to work as I can't imagine that their employees started there with such hatred for their customers, even those in obvious distress and need. This is learned behavior that one would have to imagine is a part of their corporate culture. They should be ashamed of themselves.

4 Thank WambaDC
Beachburg, Ontario
“Best place to eat in Washington, D. C.”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We ate at this restaurant two nights in a row. The food was fantastic, the scenery beautiful and our waitress, Pamela was friendly and very efficient.
We highly recommend this restaurant.