“Must try noodles (la mein) with roasted duck”

Chinatown Express Restaurant
Ranked #919 of 3,228 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Must try noodles (la mein) with roasted duck”
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

It's even in the newspaper, noodles with roasted duck meat!

It's on the 1st page of the menu, you have a choice of pork, chicken and roasted duck, just go for their favourite!

We also ordered dumplings, nothing special, it's abit cold and tastes so-so.

Each person ends up footing around $9, worth it for the big serve of noodles and meat, not so for the dumplings (just skip them).

1 Thank Sumofwhich

• Korean first
Dayton, Ohio
“Good Chinese food, somewhat questionable”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

A few friends and I stumbled upon Chinatown Express in Chinatown, where, knowing nothing about any of the restaurants, played Chinese food roulette. I was not disappointed. Though it was a bit pricey for dinner compared to what you would pay at a typical Chinese restaurant, the service was fairly attentive since the restaurant was large empty at 4:30 in the afternoon, and the complementary tea was a nice touch. I ordered the pepper steak, which had good flavor and lots of veggies. The dumplings (which you can see them making in the window) were excellent.

Considering my food experience, I returned again for lunch with my parents when they were in town. The prices were much better, but the service was much worse. My mother's food came out before the rest of the dishes and was barely lukewarm, which was somewhat questionable. The rest of the food was good, but our waitress was inattentive and hovered waiting for the check, making us somewhat uncomfortable. Overall, Chinatown Express is a decent place, but there are probably better options.

• Visited June 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
“simple restaurant + good food + great value = new favorite DC restaurant”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We were looking for a simple, casual, and authentic Chinese restaurant and found it in Chinatown Express. I had a strong craving for noodles and this restaurant promised fresh, homemade noodles. There was outside, sidewalk seating available but we had already spent a full day walking around the Mall and monuments, and wanted to cool off, so we sat at an indoor table. The restaurant decor is absolutely as simple as possible and the ambiance is casual, comfortable, and completely without pretense. It's just a good place to eat, when eating is your objective - it's not a see-and-be-seen place or place to impress a first date.

We ordered the vegetable fried noodles and were very pleased with the taste and the speed in which our dishes were served. At the suggestion of our waitress, we also tried the homemade dumplings (fried, not steamed) with vegetable fillings. When the dumplings were served, another waitress came to the table with sauces and prepared a combination of sauces that seemed unusual - and would have never tasted if left to my own simple tastes. But what she had concocted was superb! We ate all the dumplings with that 'special sauce' and could have feasted on nothing more (except a second order).
I would return to Chinatown Express just to eat that sauce again. I put it on all of my food, including some extra for my leftovers.

Another major plus (in my book): their vegetarian meals were NOT loaded with mushrooms!
The vegetables included in the fried noodle dish were broccoli, carrots, and onion. It also had tofu and possibly egg.

I can recommend this restaurant for its low priced and tasty food. It's a solid bargain and probably very consistent. If I lived in D.C., I would become a regular.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank JetMags2014
Nishinomiya-shi, Hyogo, Japan
“I was expecting more...”
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

We went to try the homemade noodles. I took beef tripe, my friend took beef tendon. OK but nothing special. Same for the dumplings and vegetables. Maybe we should have tried the duck? Sitting outside, on the pavement was probably the best part of this dinner.

Visited June 2014
New York
“Surprising”
Reviewed 17 June 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

This is a NO frills restaurant. Food is really very surprising. If you unsure which dish, they will help you decide. We ate different dishes on two consecutive nights; I never do this. No disappointments.

Visited April 2014