“One of the best ever dining experiences.”

Marcel's by Robert Wiedmaier
Reserve with OpenTable
Marcel's by Robert Wiedmaier is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #60 of 3,257 Restaurants in Washington DC
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End
Cross street: 24th and 25th
Transit: Foggy Bottom Metro
Description: Since 1999, Chef Wiedmaier infuses his Belgian heritage into Marcel's elegant haute French flagship restaurant. Regularly topping the best-of-lists in the nation's capital, in 2011 and 2012, it was rated the top restaurant for food by Zagat as well as one of the top five restaurants for service.
Virginia
“One of the best ever dining experiences.”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

It was such a pleasure to dine at Marcel's this past weekend. From start to finish, the service and food was one of the best dining experiences. Each interaction in the restaurant was professional and special. The food was superb with excellent presentation. It was refreshing to see good customer service and delicious food from start to finish. Jonathon was a superb waiter. I highly recommend. (cute bar, too!)

Reston, Virginia
“Outstanding food and presentation.”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Went for a special occasion and we had a wonderful 7-course meal. All was great except for the cheese course- I would suggest skipping it unless they have a cheese you absolutely love.
From the lobster ravioli, boudin sausage, bison, elk sausage, mahi mahi, Dover sole, steak, to the desserts, all was fabulous. The bread is good, and you need a few rolls to soak up all of the wonderful sauces.
We loved it, and the owner signed a menu for our special occasion family member.
A meal to remember.
Come hungry, because the courses are a decent size and you do not want to miss anything.

South Pasadena, California
“Very disappointed with food & service.”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We saved our visit to Marcels for our last night in DC because of all the positive reviews on Trip Advisor. We were there on a Wednesday night just before July 4th and the place was empty. The hostess that greeted us was very nice and accomodating as well as the waiters. We had a cocktail to start which was ordinary but when it became clear we were going to order wine by the glass for dinner the attitude changed. I can only describe the sommelier as pretentious & snobby. My appetizer (foie gras) was exceptional but my friends dish was nondescript. I ordered the wild salmon as a main dish and it was literally raw. My friend's duck was also undercooked. Obviously a problem in the kitchen. When we left, I went into the area where you could see the cheese plates being prepared and to have a look at the kitchen. To my dismay and shock, the chef was screaming at the other cooks and using the "F" word. The woman preparing the cheese had to tell him a customer was in the rooms and could overhear the language. He did come down and apologize but I cant imagine a person treating the kitchen with such disrespect. I would waste your time or money on this disappointing experience.

3 Thank Peppy H
Fairfax, Virginia
“For what it was, it was perfect”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

After attempting to get a reservation four or five times (on a Friday or Saturday night), I was able to get one for last evening. (nothing like DC summers to clear the city out) And, the place was pretty empty, so if you have been attempting to get in, now might be the time.

It was a pre-theatre dinner, and they actually had a prix-fixe theatre special ($65 per person). And, since I did not want dessert, they allowed me to have cheese as an after-meal treat...and that was both pleasant, and very nice of them. All in all, it was perfect for what it was. Each bit of food was perfectly prepared (sea scallops/rockfish) and the service was 100% perfect. Wines purchased were by the glass, and the selection was nice and nothing you would see anywhere else....a trademark of drinking wines by the glass in high-end establishments.

So, would I go back? 100% And, in fact, I am looking forward to it. Probably will not go the prix-fixe route next time, but for the first time, this was a great way to go. If you are thinking about it...go. You will be rewarded with a good time and excellent service.

1 Thank rgstrip
Santa Barbara, California, USA
“Was it worth it?”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

On rare occasion we jump into a restaurant like this hoping for a very unique dining experience at a rather high price. From the weight staff down to the dessert at the end....we were not disappointed. The menu made it quite clear that our choices were going to be unique and artistically done. This experience was not at the top of our over the top dining choices, but we did not come away feeling cheated. Our biggest mistake was not getting some wine help when it came to matching the meal choices.

• Visited June 2014