“Excellent experience. This is what fine dining is REALLY like!”

Marcel's by Robert Wiedmaier
Reserve with OpenTable
Marcel's by Robert Wiedmaier is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 3,664 Restaurants in Washington DC
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End
Cross street: 24th and 25th
Transit: Foggy Bottom Metro
Description: Since 1999, Chef Wiedmaier infuses his Belgian heritage into Marcel's elegant haute French flagship restaurant. Regularly topping the best-of-lists in the nation's capital, in 2011 and 2012, it was rated the top restaurant for food by Zagat as well as one of the top five restaurants for service.
Reviewed 2 September 2018

Visiting on a Saturday night, the atmosphere was a bit loud because there was live music. Food was excellent! If you haven't visited Marcel's in a couple of years, please know that the menu has changed to the following choices: 1) 4 choice vegetarian plate; 2) 3 course meal (appetizer, main course, dessert); or 3) a 7-course tasting menu. Service was excellent. Marcel's is our "special" place for dinner -- for our anniversary and for special visits to DC.

Reviewed 20 August 2018 via mobile

We happened in here while on vacation we had tried to eat at our hotels restaurant and fortunately they never sat us and took way to long . We were greeted from the front door .We were treated like gold despite being under a time constraint rushed but this had no affect of the spectacular service . On the waiters recommendation we did the pre-theater menu which suited us perfectly . (His name escapes me a tall man ) he explained each delicious bite . We started with watermelon gazpacho I not a fan of gazpacho but I became one that meal .... I had mussels salmon and Crème brûlée my husband tomato salad the beef short rib the meal was phenomenal . This restaurant has made it into our hall of fame right up there amongst Victoria and Alberts . a delicious meal not to be missed if you are visiting Washington . Photos do not do this place justice .Thank you to the staff and chef we had an amazing experience

1  Thank Janine S
Reviewed 19 August 2018

Three couples celebrating a birthday. Great food! Great Service! What more can one expect? Thanks so much for the great evening.

Reviewed 16 August 2018

My wife and I enjoyed a relaxed dinner at Marcel's. The staff is attentive without hovering. The wine recommendations were spot on; I am not very familiar with French wines, but by describing what my wife and I like in a California Chardonnay, the sommelier chose wisely for us. We felt like welcomed guests, not customers. The staff has a lot of pride in the restaurant, and it shows.

1  Thank Greg G
Reviewed 11 August 2018 via mobile

The restaurant is very nice. Has a soft ambience but not the usual French restaurant. Piano music in another room is very enjoyable. The wine menu is diverse. Wines from all over, varied prices from reasonable to very expensive.
The food menu has lots to choose from. We did the 7 course tasting menu that turned out to be a 9 course dinner! This was a true dining experience!
The portions were on the smaller size, but with all the courses, it was fine. The foie gras was one of the best I have ever had! I NEEDED MORE! Unfortunately they did not have any Sauternes by the glass to accompany the foie, but it wasn’t needed. Scrumptious! Every dish was presented beautifully and the taste balance was stupendous. The desert had a beautiful chocolate kiss shaped chocolate with a touch of gold leaf and a pistachio ice cream filling. Yum!! An excellent dining experience.