“Excellent food-service needs improvement”
Review of Teatro Goldoni - CLOSED

Neighbourhood: Dupont Circle
Cross street: 19th and K
Transit: Farragut North Station - Metro
USA, Virginia
“Excellent food-service needs improvement”
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Had a delicious dinner on Saturday evening.
The waiter was very nice and help us to design our order as we wanted to eat it family style. The pastas and weal chop have been amasing! Cudos to chef!
The oly disappoinment was people who clean up the table - they definately need more training. They do not know how to take dirty dishes from the table-this is not a diner! It is fine restaurant!
Another thing-the restaurant shoul oay more attention what is going on in fheir restrooms:)
By the way: what to say cudos for walet parking service! It was very nice and polite! (cost $10)

Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Unexciting”
Reviewed 2 January 2012

When I mentioned to a friend (K street lawyer) that I wanted to invite him to try Teatro Goldoni for dinner he discouraged me saying that the restaurant does so bad at night that it is mostly rented out for private parties. So we ended up going for lunch. I had the rockfish for 24 dollars which was dry and underseasoned. My guest chose the scallops that looked like overcooked but he said they were fine. The service was Ok. This is not a place that I can enthusiastically recommend.

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank 1252011c
sorrento
“It's good performance”
Reviewed 18 November 2011

As italian, usually I don't trust too much italian restaurant abroad! So when a italian colleague living in Washington invite me for dinner, I was not sure of the good choice! So it was really a surprise for me to find a very warm place, with excellent service. Great and wide choice of appetizers, entré and side, good the quality of food, well prepared! More very reasonable the price, so I was happy to be contradicted, an italian/international restaurant in Washington DC, but at good price

Visited November 2011
Dearborn, Michigan
“Haughty, inattentive service; Grade C for food”
Reviewed 26 September 2011

This restaurant is only a short walk from my firm's K Street office and I stopped by after work tonight for a solo dinner. Arriving a bit before 6 p.m., the restaurant was almost empty and so was the bar. The hostess' demeanor made it clear that a solo diner early on a Monday evening was just a terrible inconvenience. My instincts told me to leave then, go somewhere else and ready my book. BUT, foolish hope triumphed.

The hostess said, "just a minute" while she searched a sea of empty tables for one suitable for me. How hard can it be, I thought. I waited 5 minutes after she disappeared the first time, then another 5 minutes after she returned and repeated the "just a minute" mantra before promptly disappearing again. Finally, she decided that the only suitable table for me should be moved to another location and ordered the staff to do it.

Once seated, my drink order was taken quickly but took nearly 10 minutes to arrive, an amazing delay for a Scotch and water from a bar not more than 35 feet away! Eventually, again after a longer than expected wait, my food was ordered. By then, I knew that anything special would be a bad move, so I ordered the artichoke salad and the tortelli ("stuffed with buffalo and smoked mozzarella/mushrooms/arrucola pesto and ragout of potatoes").

While waiting for my food, I noticed that the principal drama at "Teatro" Goldoni consisted of self-important waiters running back and forth as though the restaurant were jammed and they were understaffed.

My food was merely OK, nothing great, but I thought that $22 for a small plate of pasta was one-third too high even for a fine dining restaurant, which Goldoni possibly might once have been but certainly is not now. To end the meal (I must have been in a self-flaggelation mood) I ordered "Sicilian Chocolate" gelato and decaf coffee. The coffee arrived quickly, but I never saw the gelato.

Again the restaurant was still not busy and the waiter simply disappeared. Twenty minutes later, I flagged him down for the bill while he was serving another table. Presenting the check, he asked unapologetically if were too late to serve the gelato. Really? Check was $56+, NOT including tip.

Unless seized with amnesia or desirous of Houdini-disappearing restaurant staff serving ordinary food (or not serving food at all) I think that I'll take my business elsewhere. Oh, I left a bit after 7 p.m. Restaurant still was not busy.

• Visited September 2011
1 Thank tylerarb
Northern Virginia
“Very Nice Venetian Cuisine”
Reviewed 23 September 2011

I used to hit Teatro Goldoni regularly, since it was down the street from my office. Now that I work 15 miles away, I don't get back as much. There have been some changes in the years since, but not major ones. The room is still an attractive Venetian decor, though opened up a bit since the last remodel. We had a reasonably private booth for a business discussion, which worked well.

Most of the staple items I used to frequent - capresi salad, caesar salad and the wonderful risottos - are still on the menu. The caesar with skirt steak was very good. The steak, in fact, was excellent - rich, flavorful and perfectly cooked. The caesar dressing could have been a bit more tangy, e.g., with a bit more anchovy and lemon, and maybe a bit more worcestershire. My only complaint was the "crouton," which was actually a thin piece of crisped bread that lacked flavor.

• Visited September 2011