“A return to an old favorite”
Review of Vidalia Restaurant - CLOSED

Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 20th St NW
Transit: Dupont Circle Red Line
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I would really like this review to be 3.5 stars. My husband and I used to dine at Vidalia when we were living in the area full time but haven't been back in many years. So we wanted to see if we still enjoyed it as much. Mostly, we did enjoy it. I had a killer mint julep made just the way they are supposed to be. Our appetizer salads were very good - mine was the beet and goat cheese and my husband had the Shady Lane salad. Both were very well done and of a good size. My husband ordered the shrimp and grits and he is a connossieur of shrimp and grits. He deemed these good but not great. And at $30 they were quite pricey. I ordered a special which was pork tenderloin with a few veggies and a light sauce. Here is where I thought they fell down. I got exactly two very small pieces of pork and little else for $35. It is lucky I don't have a big appetite because this was very stingy for the price. Luckily, we ordered their mac and cheese to share and it was very good - took half of it home so it definitely should be a shared item. Overall, we enjoyed the meal but I feel they may have slipped a little since the old days. Total for our meal (before tip) including 2 drinks each and no dessert was $170.

1  Thank msdillo
SallieBuben, Owner at Vidalia Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

We are glad you returned, but would love to speak with you about your perceptions of the portions and what you liked or dislike about specific dishes. Our customer opinions are important to us and we certainly would like hearing any input you can give us. I would appreciate it if you could please email my General Manager, Mike Nevarez with your contact information so he could speak with you a bit further. Warmest Regards, Sallie Buben

There are newer reviews for Vidalia Restaurant

Reviewed 31 May 2014

As many have pointed out, Vidalia is located in the basement of a building, which is an immediate turn-off, since there are no windows anywhere in the restaurant. The food does not disappoint, but the prices are very high for a restaurant that is not considered trendy. In fact, the atmosphere was kind of old/stuff-shirt type place vs. the trendy places one might find in Cleveland Park or Woodley. I had the duck, which was done to perfection. However, my wife ordered a steak "rare," and despite being assured that the chef would cook it that way, it did not come rare at all and had to be returned. That meant we ate our dinners at separate times. Even though the restaurant attempted to make it up to us by providing a free dessert, our bill still came to $250 with tip. Yes, that included appetizers and a bottle of wine (at $52, one of the least expensive bottles they offered), but all things considered, it is highly unlikely we would go back there again. Good food and service, but very pricey and not the best of locations.

SallieBuben, Owner at Vidalia Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

I sent you a message, but just in case you did not receive, I wanted to ask you to contact my General Manager Mike Nevarez at mnevarez@vidaliadc.com. Not sure whether you were in on Saturday night, but we were a little out of sorts on Saturday due to water main break outside of the restaurant. Regardless, we certainly would appreciate you contacting Mike to discuss your review....so we can improve in the future. Regards, Sallie Buben

Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

We ate here for our anniversary and had the 5 course tasting meal. It was fabulous ! Our waitress was super helpful and have great advice on the menu items :)

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Visited with my wife and anoher couple. The food was outstanding. The menu consisted of new takes on classic Southern recipes. The shrimp and grits, a signature dish was perfectly prepared and a real star. The crabcakes were an excellent starter, bt probably not the best in the DC area. Service was friendly but a bit slow. Recommend highly.

1  Thank jflocks
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Having had our worst meal in the US the night before Vidalia was a real treat. We booked late and expected to be sitting at the bar but a table was found. We picked the cheapest wine on the menu and it was excellent. Salad starters were interesting as well as tasting good and the shrimp and grits main course was delicious, dessert menu posed a problem as we would have enjoyed anything on it. Attentive staff, good atmosphere: a bit pricey, but not out of the way for the quality of food.

1  Thank Janet B