“Pleasantly Surprised”

Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Sydney, Australia
“Pleasantly Surprised”
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Dupont Circle is a very busy location and after walking past several restaurants that were overflowing with people we came across Alero, which was busy but had a couple of tables just become available.
The staff were very friendly, the restaurant was casual and fun.
Then the best part - the food was excellent.
The wine list is cheap and cheerful and there are a few tasty gems at great prices.
Definitely would return to this place for a casual meal.

• Visited September 2013

• Turkish first
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very good food, service and value for money.”
Reviewed 11 September 2013 via mobile

Good food at very reasonable prices. Good atmosphere and well patronised by locals. Charming, helpful waiters.

• Visited September 2013
florida
“Only if you're desperate for "Mexican" food.”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Other reviews have said it well...the service was bad and the food (at least what I had) would have real Mexicans hanging their heads in shame.

I joined a group of my friends who had already been there awhile. None of the staff took note that another person had joined the table. I had to ask somebody to bring a menu. My drink order (ice tea, unsweetened) was taken relatively quickly and came moderately quickly. A few minutes later, the waiter took my order (chicken tamales).

Well, that was the last I saw of the waiter except for 1 time - when my meal was brought to the table. No chips / salsa for me. Nobody asking "Would you like more to drink?" even though my glass was obviously empty. Not even when they brought my food - "Here you are sir, enjoy" and gone. Finally - when I'd finished eating and my napkin was lying across my plate in the international symbol of 'I'm done' - the waiter asked "More ice tea?" Uh, no.

The food - I could get the same from Old El Paso in the grocery store. The tamales were mushy, the Mexican rice dry, and the portion of beans small. Did it taste bad? No, not really, but it was completely forgettable.

They do have jumbo huge margaritas. I tried one of my friend's, and it was okay. Prices on those are good if you are there for happy hour. But I wasn't feeling very happy after this meal.

Final bill, tamales $9.99, my single portion of ice tea $2.50 (I suppose free refills, but I'll never know....). And honestly, I chipped in $0.50 cents for the tip. Grand total $13.

NOT recommended. There are too many other interesting looking restaurants in this area to go back here.

• Visited August 2013
Chicago, IL
“BAD food & BAD service”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Absolutely NOT! Horrible service and horrible food.

Our server was AWFUL! He apparently forgot our second drink order (because he was too busy talking to other staff at the bar) and brought it to the table after we were done with our meals. We told him we didn't want the drinks at that point. Any decent server would apologize and offer the drinks on the house. He took them back and probably dumped them down the sink.

The food was so bad. I agree with Mark S. who wrote that the food was bland. So BLAND! We had to ask for and add spicy salsa to all of our dishes just to make them edible. Someone in our party also ordered a tostada. What came out was a fried dough bowl with a bunch of stuff in it...more like a taco salad than a tostada. But not even a corn tortilla. Just fried dough with no flavor.

Will definitely NEVER go back to this place.

• Visited August 2013
“Terrific food,awful service”
Reviewed 4 August 2013

This restaurant is terrific food wise and can not be faulted. The service on the other hand is terrible. Our 'waiter' Marcus was a disgrace. Not being from the USA we are not used to the gratuity system that occurs within the country. Where I am from (ireland) you leave a tip depending on the experience you have. Having finished the meal I asked for the bill and having left money on the table with a tip enclosed our waiter picked it up. A short time later he retuned to the table to inform us that this was way below the suggested gratuity. Now his tone and manner at communicating this was disgraceful and spoiled an otherwise good evening. I wish I had of just left the restaurant without paying the tip but I paid the required tip and left. My advice Marcus and to lot of restaurants in the states is the customer is king and without them you would not have a job so smile,be polite and do your job right.

• Visited July 2013