“Something needs to change, but...”
Review of Cafe Luna - CLOSED

Neighbourhood: Dupont Circle
Cross street: 16th Street
Transit: DuPont Circle metro
Reviewed 27 July 2013

I've know and visited this restaurant for over a decade. My first visit was for half-price hamburger night (a Sunday night, I believe), back in 2000. Nothing has changed towards the positive since then, and I've lost any interest for it. Three visits in three years, and only to meet a group of folks, who no longer visit it.

It's not a bad place, but it needs to elevate itself just a little. They can start with a better patio presentation. Some dishes can be simpler and less greasy.

I hope they do change.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

I have eaten here five times over the past year (it's close to my office, when I'm in town). Three of those times have been for a Happy Hour menu featuring Indian food from the restaurant upstairs.

Two of those times it was spot-on. Incredible. Really. And, I've spent almost two months in India, on work travel.

Truly delicious Indian "street food" treats were served here that were *so* good on Trip #1 I went back on purpose on Trip #2.

Then, on Trip #3 ... the cook was off that day, or gone, or who knows. But, the same items which were so fantastic twice before were made with wrong ingredients, per their own menu, on a dirty grill (fish stink lingered on the chapati), and obviously executed by someone just phoning it in, not than working their palette.

To be honest, I might try again, because it was so good before. But, you might want to ask if the regular cook from "Heritage India" (the restaurant upstairs) is working before you order. Because I went back very much on purpose after Trip #1, but would never bother going back again for what I got on Trip #3.

Reviewed 10 May 2013

Had a Groupon for Brunch. We were a party of 4. When making a required reservation I was told they were booked for the day. When I was going to hang up the person I spoke to told me he would squeeze us in at 12:30. Made to feel like he was doing us a favor. When we arrived the place was 3/4 empty. Plenty of tables. We arrived at 12:35 and were immediately told we were late. Brunch is served from 10 am to closing with unlimited mimosas and bloody marys. They were serving brunch for only 1 1/2 hours at this point. We wanted to start with a bloody mary, but they did not have any. We were told they were all gone, so we settled for mimosas. They were hardly mimosas, that were really just orange juice with a splash of something sparkling. No bartender staff, wait staff was mixing the mimosas by the pitcher. The food was just OK, not even good. The service was ok. We overheard the same person who told us they were booked, telling that to another person on the telephone when they were trying to make a reservation. What is his problem? Parking is a challenge. Pass on Café Luna, even if it's not a full moon.

1  Thank saveroom4dessert
Reviewed 9 May 2013

We were going to the Keegan Theatre only a few blocks away. We always park in the lot across the street from Cafe Luna. We finally decided to give it a try and were pleasantly surprised. It is in the basement, so we had sort of low expectations, but they were greatly surpassed. The food, service and the prices were all great. We will definitely return. We had mostly Italian seafood dishes, but looking around at other tables, their food looked good too. Next time, I think I will try their lamb dishes.

Reviewed 23 March 2013

I had a terrific livingsocial deal and decided to give it a try. Went in at 6 pm sharp and the place was fairly empty. Was a bit apprehensive but decided to give it a try. Besides, the people who were there seemed happy. A gracious server greeted us - actually 2 gracious servers - and showed us what we could get for the very generous coupon. It's a cafe, so the food is your regular cafe food - sandwiches, pasta, etc. We ordered two appetizers - mussels and calamari. Both were good especially the mussels. Then we ordered two pasta - mussels pasta and angel hair. Both of the pasta dishes were deeeelicious! Generous portions and we had to take it back to the hotel. For desert I had cheesecake. The cheesecake was just ok but I didn't go for the cheesecake. I went for the pasta and it was two of the best pasta dishes I've ever had. Al dente, and well seasoned. Definitely a winner and highly recommend anyone who is in the Dupont Circle area to give it a try. A true neighbourhood gem.