“Regular Hangout Spot”

Matchbox Vintage Pizza Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Matchbox Vintage Pizza Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #123 of 3,465 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American, Pizza
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: 7th and H Street
Transit: Gallery Pl-Chinatown (Red, Green, Yellow);Metro Center (Red, Blue, Orange
Description: It was here in Chinatown that the Matchbox story began. This narrow, rectangular building was three stories tall, fifteen feet wide, and looked like a matchbox. It stood vacant for so long, a tree grew inside of it, like kindling waiting to start a new fire. Walk past the torch that lights our front door, come in and smell the hot, crackling fire from two brick ovens. Have a seat inside, where we built the reclaimed timber and steel finishes with our own hands, or relax in the sunny atrium that was once an alleyway. Wherever you choose, there’s plenty of space for intimate dinners, large parties and get-togethers. Touch vintage matchboxes from our personal collections, inset on every table, or ask for a bottle of our Matchbox Blend, made with love and featuring that spunky tree that started it all. We’re Chinatown neighborhood gathering place for fun, upscale casual dining, with local, award-winning beers, broad spectrum wines, and signature cocktails you won’t find anywhere else.
Reviewed 3 August 2012

I had a white pizza here that made me not want to share it with anyone but I could never find it on the menu again all the subsequent times I went to Matchbox.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,361)

Reviewed 2 August 2012

Easy going service and a surprisingly tasty pizza made this worth a review. After all the heavy high-end steak places it was a refreshing change to find a stellar pizza and beer place. Lots of latitude on interchanging menu items/accompaniments so tailor your order the way you like it. Our waitress said the kitchen will be happy to alter it any way you like it.

We got there before 6pm and it was already active...when we left an hour and a half later it was a long wait...and that was a Tuesday night. We had a party of 8 and very much enjoyed the evening.

Reviewed 29 July 2012

We had a fantastic lunch at Matchbox Pizza. We very much enjoyed the prosciutto white pizza cooked in the wood-fired oven. They have a great menu with lots of choices for lunch or dinner. The kids enjoyed the skillet baked cinnamon rolls for dessert.

Reviewed 29 July 2012

Enjoyed the pizza, but thought it was a little pricey. All things considered, I'm sure the prices are comparable to other downtown DC restaurants. Service was just OK - great at first, but had a tough time getting refills on soda. My husband ordered a beer and never received until he asked again when the pizza was brought to the table.

Reviewed 26 July 2012

I love this restaurant but I can't accept a line for the ladies' room six people deep, I missed half the dinner from having to wait in line for the bathroom - why don't they have more bathrooms for a restaurant this size?! I loved my pear salad, but the fire and smoke pizza was way too spicy, which is something I never say.