“Wonderful Pasta”

Cuisines: Italian
Neighbourhood: Adams Morgan
Neighbourhood: Adams Morgan
Reviewed 30 May 2013

If you walk away hungry, you didn't finish your meal. The portions will fill even the most ravenous appetite. Three of us ordered three different items, traded plates so each got plenty of each, and still took home three containers of leftovers. The sauces were wonderful. The pasta was cooked perfectly. Try to get into the first seating to avoid waiting, no reservations. Cash only, no credit cards.

Reviewed 17 April 2013

If you want old school Italian, run by the nicest owners, then go here. I recommend getting there 30 mins before they open. Bring cash only, and have a hearty appetite. The amount of food they give you would serve 4 normal people. This was my favorite eating stop on my recent trip to DC. Just awesome...

Reviewed 19 February 2013

Yes, this place is tricky to find, yes they take no reservations, yes they often not very friendly with their customers, and yes they are often closed prior to their close time...but if you have the patience to stick around, wait for a small cramped table...you will get some of the best pasta you have ever had!! After leaving DC and trying several other advertised genuine Italian restaurants...I still always want to head back to Pasta Mia.

Reviewed 2 January 2013

This little Italian restaurant has such an inflated sense of importance and ego that it forgets any sense of basic manners. In traditional, old world, European style, the owners and waiters here live by the motto: if you don't like it, you can leave. So, we left. Here, the customer is never right.

We arrived when the restaurant opened on a Friday night. After waiting 45 minutes for our pasta, I inquired as to the long wait. The waiter, instead of apologizing for the inconvenience, said that if I had a problem, I could tell the chef myself. So, I told the chef myself, as politely as possible, that we had been waiting for pasta for 45 minutes. I was told if I didn't want to wait, I could leave. So, I left and informed that chef that I would never return.

Even for "European-style" restaurants, this is highly impolite. The owners would be advised to remember that in the U.S., the customer is always right. If they can't accept that, at least acknowledge that the customer has a point and some time should be spent re-learning basic manners.

4  Thank LucieLM
Reviewed 20 December 2012

This pasta-centric family owned mainstay keeps chugging along. Have been coming here occasionally for years (anybody remember the old New Orleans cafe? - former waiter Bardia has his own place down the street on 18th) Yes - no reservations at Pasta Mia & everyone must be there to get seated. Small place & opens at 6:30pm, so get there at the 1st seating or take your chances. We ate there recently on a Thurs. night & did not have any trouble getting a seat at 6:45 pm, but was start of holiday season so I think city had started to drain-out.....Get your order in quickly as chances are it will take a while to come out (could be 1/2 hour plus). Get a carafe of wine & some salad/appetizers & get to know your wife/freind/date better! Service is so-so, husband (cook) & wife (hostess) with younger wait staff dealing with the crowds. Lots of great pasta dishes - take your pick, all pretty good!

2  Thank wiscomilker