“BEWARE OF BUGS!”
Review of Grill From Ipanema

Grill From Ipanema
Reserve with OpenTable
Grill From Ipanema is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #305 of 3,322 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Brazilian, Portuguese, South American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Adams Morgan
Transit: We are close to Woodley park metro station or Dupont circle metro station (red line)
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I usually never write review but had to share this experience with the public. One Word - BUGS! I recently dined at the Grill from Ipanema on Valentine's Day, this past Friday. After making prior reservations for our romantic dinner, we were seated next to a couple with toddler and in front of the bathroom. The hostess refused to move us to a different table, even though there were several open tables available - our reservations were at 9:45pm (so not to many other tables were going to come in after). We heard the couple next to us, complain about a majority of things until they mentioned seeing bugs on their food. My date and I couldn't see on their table, so we decided to give the restaurant the benefit of the doubt- even after they demanded the food be removed from their check and left. I ordered the Coxinha de Galinha, which smelled amazing but as I was biting into the croquette, two bugs emerged from the inside and crawled up my fork. Then I looked down on my plate, and there were SEVERAL BUGS sharing my plate with me. I immediately alerted the waitress, and she apologized and removed my plate. She was very nice and offered to move us to any table that I requested. She called the hostess, who once again was giving us a hard time on moving to another area, even after being made aware that there were bugs on the tables in our area. I had to remind her that she had to be accommodating to customers, especially in this type of situation. After going back and forth, the waitress finally convinced the hostess to move us to the front end of the restaurant. Never once did a manager come to apologize for the BUGS, and we were charged for every plate and drink, including our appetizers with BUGS. I am never returning to this establishment, especially after dealing with a difficult hostess and interesting food service.

1  Thank elle M

Reviewed 6 February 2014

Food is excellent, just came back from Brazil, I found no difference. Truly authentic Brazilian! Loved it!

Reviewed 23 December 2013

All of my prior meals here were excellent, and so I returned here to celebrate my birthday with 3 friends. As usual, the ambience is wonderful, and the service is excellent. My friends' meals were all delicious, though mine was quite disappointing. My CASQUINHA DE SIRI appetizer was delicious, but because it is so tiny, it is really not suitable as an appetizer. All of the smaller pieces of meat in my CHURRASCO MISTO entree were overcooked, so I re-ordered it, and the second try came back with all the smaller pieces of meat overcooked again. The restaurant was kind enough to bring me a free flan dessert, but it and the fried bananas which came for my friends were all boring. These are all problems which the kitchen must correct. I do expect to return, and believe that this experience was an abberation, and so I still recommend this restaurant, but I would caution people against the above dishes.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

I had the Brazilian typical dish with beef, pork and sausages in black beans served with rice. The meat was overcooked and dry like coming from a can. I tried the alligator. The pieces were so small and covered with so much bread crumbs and oil that you could not get the taste. It could have also been chicken, no one could tell! Despite of that the waitresses were very kind. The place was clean and I liked the fact there were table clothes.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

Feijoada excellent the waiters fantastic and the meat extraordinary. Place has a $5 valet parking that make it very convenient Great place to bring visitors

1  Thank Hansei K