I agree with many of the positives stated in the other reviews - close (enough) to the mall, the price is dirt cheap for DC, the rooms are large, the breakfast is actually very good. And one more: when our unruly neighbors' children kept running up and down the hallway at 2 am knocking on doors and giggling, the hotel did send up a securtiy guard who was able, after the second visit, to rouse their mom and get things quiet. My wife was about to call the Division of Family Services because she was concerned about the safety of underage girls running unsupervised though the halls of an inner city hotel, so I was thankful the hotel was able to handle it.
There were some frustrating moments that tainted our stay, enough so that we likely won't return:
1. No taxis at night! Yes, the neighborhood is quiet, but that also means you will have a tough time getting a taxi at night. Two nights in a row the front desk staff said there was a "problem" with cabs and that none would come to this area. I started wondering if the hotel was being boycotted by the cab companies, or if the cabbies avoid the area because there is simply no other fare opportunities around the hotel. We had to walk to the National Mall (four blocks or so) to catch a cab. Sure, walking around the area south of the capitol is "ok" during the day, but try walking that gauntlet at night, under two elevated train tracks, with your wife in high heels and sparkly jewelry - we were very uneasy and then extremely relieved when we saw a cab. It was also a problem logistically, as we nearly missed the start of a performance we were attending one of the nights.
2. Surly housekeeper. We returned one day at 5:15 to find the housekeeper cleaning the next door room that was empty (?), and she promptly informed us that since she goes off the clock at 5:30 she wouldn't be cleaning our room that day. I got the clear impression she was waiting for me to give her some cash to make sure she stuck around and cleaned the room. With an attitude like that, I suddenly did not want her in our room.
If you are on a tight budget (we were), have kids, and don't care about taxis, then this is the place for you. If you are a couple or have a group of adult friends, there are better options in DC.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Splitty, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Residence Inn Washington, DC/Capitol reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Residence Inn Washington, Dc/Capitol Hotel Washington Dc
- Washington Dc Residence Inn