“On the wrong side of the capitol, no taxis, but breakfast good”

Residence Inn Washington, DC/Capitol
Ranked #66 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 13 December 2011

I agree with many of the positives stated in the other reviews - close (enough) to the mall, the price is dirt cheap for DC, the rooms are large, the breakfast is actually very good. And one more: when our unruly neighbors' children kept running up and down the hallway at 2 am knocking on doors and giggling, the hotel did send up a securtiy guard who was able, after the second visit, to rouse their mom and get things quiet. My wife was about to call the Division of Family Services because she was concerned about the safety of underage girls running unsupervised though the halls of an inner city hotel, so I was thankful the hotel was able to handle it.

There were some frustrating moments that tainted our stay, enough so that we likely won't return:

1. No taxis at night! Yes, the neighborhood is quiet, but that also means you will have a tough time getting a taxi at night. Two nights in a row the front desk staff said there was a "problem" with cabs and that none would come to this area. I started wondering if the hotel was being boycotted by the cab companies, or if the cabbies avoid the area because there is simply no other fare opportunities around the hotel. We had to walk to the National Mall (four blocks or so) to catch a cab. Sure, walking around the area south of the capitol is "ok" during the day, but try walking that gauntlet at night, under two elevated train tracks, with your wife in high heels and sparkly jewelry - we were very uneasy and then extremely relieved when we saw a cab. It was also a problem logistically, as we nearly missed the start of a performance we were attending one of the nights.

2. Surly housekeeper. We returned one day at 5:15 to find the housekeeper cleaning the next door room that was empty (?), and she promptly informed us that since she goes off the clock at 5:30 she wouldn't be cleaning our room that day. I got the clear impression she was waiting for me to give her some cash to make sure she stuck around and cleaned the room. With an attitude like that, I suddenly did not want her in our room.

If you are on a tight budget (we were), have kids, and don't care about taxis, then this is the place for you. If you are a couple or have a group of adult friends, there are better options in DC.

Room Tip: Take a sleep machine or white noise generator. The nearby train, and thin walls to the neighboring...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 December 2011

Excellent Residence Inn. Rooms very nice and close to Metro. They have manager reception Monday through Wednesday only. Fairly good. Breakfast is good as well. I would recommend staying here, especially if you need something close to the airport.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank Grizzly386
Reviewed 13 December 2011

We stayed at the Residence on E St. between 3rd and 4th SW last week. Our son booked Thurs-Sun through Priceline for the rather amazing price of $80/night. Room was spacious, clean, had a kitchen which went unused since a full breakfast was served downstairs. (Apparently they serve a dinner Monday to Wednesday also.) Pool and hot tub, exercise room. We walked to the National Botanical Gardens, Art Galleries, Sculpture Gardens; all within 10 min. from the curb. We biked (DC Red Bike System) all over the city, including the MLK monument at the far side of the tidal basin ( very effecting quotes from his life etched in granite- recommended).
Had trouble printing air tickets home- so James at the desk did it for me. (Another aspect of the trip: the courtesy of the DC residents who with a smile say "Hello," to strangers on the street and, I assume for the hundredth time, patiently give directions to confused-looking tourists.)
Only quibble would be when we called the desk for a cab and the summoned a limo driver who wanted $12 for a 12 block ride. We walked to the corner and got a $5 lift across Capital St.
All in all, a terrific bargain in a great location with great extras at an outstanding price.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We planned a quick 4 day trip to Washington DC in October for fall break. Our kids are ages, 10 and 8. I wanted a hotel that was close to the Metro and all the sights! We were so pleased with our 1 bedroom suite. We had enough room, plenty of room for the 4 of us. The free breakfast in the morning is amazing. The breakfast employees are so friendly and professional! My daughter had a hard time on her own making her waffle, so the friendly Marriott employee went out of her way to help! (I wish I had gotten her name!)

The Metro stop is so close. We walked to the Capitol and to the Museums everyday.

One night we had the Marriott driver take us to our Restaurant. Very professional, punctual and friendly.

We would definitely stay again. I read about noise coming from the street, but we must have had a good room location, we didn't experience any outside noise. (And I am a light sleeper!)

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank mtmommy2
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We booked a one bedroom suite for a reasonable price over the Thanksgiving weekend. The suite was spacious even for five people. We were going to prepare our Thanksgiving dinner in the suite's kitchen and didn't realize it did not have an oven. We were resigned to give our frozen turkey away (just purchased from Safeway 0.4 mile away) and simply hoped it would not go to waste. When we inquired if any hotel staff would like the turkey, they instead generously upgrade us to a 2 bedroom suite with an oven, at no extra cost! We had a wonderful Thanksgiving meal at our home away from home. The extra kindness from the staff was touching.

Other aspects of the hotel: The breakfast was excellent. We enjoyed the simple but very hearty complimentary dinners on 2 nights. These meals helped reduce our vacation costs and allowed us more time to relax. The swimming pool was average but still very nice.

4  Thank M C
Reviewed 27 November 2011

This hotel was perfect!! The metro is one block and the neighborhood was very safe. I was comfortable walking int he area after dark with my family which was very important. The price was great ($129 kitchen suite) and the free breakfeast every morning was a lot better than expected. This was the first hotel I have stayed at for more than 3 nights and didn't have one issue. Everything was great and the the kids even liked it... I seen some reviews complaining about the train and our room was right outside the tracks and it didn't bother me one time.

Room Tip: The kitchen suite was nice considering there isn't a lot of dining options nearby.
Reviewed 25 November 2011

When I arrived to check in, Bianca and Stephanie were extremely helpful and friendly. I had already been upgraded from a queen with sofa to an executive suite. It had a view of the Capitol -- which was gorgeous and worth the sound of the trains rushing by a dozen floors below. (If you are there for more than a night or two, you might want sacrifice the view and request a room at the front of the building.)

It is so smart of hotels to upgrade when possible. I still have hard feelings towards the Harborview in Charleston. The weekend I was there was very quiet -- the hotel was half empty. But I was given a room with a view of the backs of neighboring buildings and dumpsters. When you are upgraded, the hotel makes a new friend! Obviously, this can't always happen, when the hotel is busy. The Residence Inn DC Capitol made me very happy with the upgrade -- which was given before I even asked. I felt warmly welcomed.

The breakfast was busy but well run. They opened an additional seating area (in a neighboring conference room) before seating space became an issue. The buffet area was large, with doubled serving areas to get people through. Clean and well attended. The attendants were working hard, but seemed a bit stressed. The food was very good.

You enter the hotel parking garage (to the left of the hotel, as you are facing it) after checking in. It is a secure space which can only be accessed by foot traffic from well within the lobby (not from the outside at all). The garage isn't big, so try to arrive early. On street parking isn't an option.

Very easy walk to the Mall and museums.