“A good choice for families visiting DC”

Residence Inn Washington, DC/Capitol
Ranked #64 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We stayed two nights at this hotel in February with a family of four.

It is in a neighborhood with businesses, which means it was quieter at night. I wouldn’t call it desolate. There are restaurants nearby, and it is within blocks of the Mall. If you are looking to be close to nightclubs or sit-down restaurants, then this is not the place. We are used to quiet, so we appreciated it.

There is a train that runs behind the hotel. I did hear it slightly at night (thought at first it was thunder), but it didn’t bother me in general. However, beginning in the morning, it does blow its whistle for some reason. This is the same time that other guests begin getting up and using the elevator and slamming their doors, so you’ll probably be awake anyway. If you live in a city or other noisy area, you probably won’t notice any of the noises as this is not a noisy area, day or night. We also felt quite safe walking in this neighborhood, and in all of downtown for the most part.

We had a Queen/sofa bed room, so there was a separate bedroom that had a door which closed between it and the “sitting area.” With the door closed, the bedroom was fairly quiet at night according to my husband. The heating/cooling was up to date and kept us comfortable without us noticing it, so that's good. I only noticed it once or twice in the night when it came on or switched off.

I slept with my younger daughter on the sofa bed in the sitting area. If you get a room with a sofa bed, they do not make it up for you, you must make it up yourself (sheets are in the closet). For the price of the room, I was surprised by this. The sofa bed was not too uncomfortable, but frankly with all the walking we did I was exhausted and could have slept on the floor. We had plenty of pillows. The main door to the hotel room, like many hotel doors, is too short by at least ½ inch. That means that light and noise come from the hallway. I rolled up the mini-bedspread and put it at the bottom of the door to block out light. Unfortunately, we were near the elevator, so beginning about 7 a.m. I could hear the beeping of the elevator. The windows have blackout drapes. The refrigerator running did wake me up once.

The room came with a mini-kitchen with two counter-top burners, a dishwasher and a full refrigerator. The cabinets had ceramic bowls, plates, and mugs, plus glasses. There are pots, a colander, and cooking utensils, as well as real (not plastic) eating utensils. There are enough to serve 4 people. They also provide paper towels, dish soap and a wash cloth. This was so cool! We cooked and ate dinner in our room each night. Then the kids could swim while I made dinner. There was a small table to eat at.

There was a flat-screen tv in each room. There is a closet to hang clothes which contains an ironing board, the iron, and a wall safe. The bathroom sink has a large counter and is outside the bathroom, which has a door. There is no exhaust fan. The bathroom was very nice – I hate when bathrooms have sloppy caulking, etc. It was also very clean. The shower curtain was rounded, so the curtain doesn’t blow into you when you’re showering.

We thought that we hadn’t been given enough towels, but on packing up we realized there was an extra set of towels in one of the drawers. The hairdryer is in a drawer next to the sink.

The ladies we met at the desk were very nice and accommodating. The gentlemen that my husband dealt with at the desk, not so much. The one gentleman that helped us get our luggage out of the luggage storage was very nice.

The hotel has a parking garage underneath. It is tight, but our Ford Escape fit just fine. There were plenty of spaces. We liked the price, and that it was park yourself rather than valet. You need to check in and use your room card to get in the garage. You also need your room card to use the elevator or the pool.

The official check in time is 4 p.m. I believe, but when we arrived around 1 p.m. we were able to go right to our room. Checkout is normally 10 am, but we were allowed late checkout (til 12). We were able to leave our luggage in a secure room on our last day with no time limit. One gentleman told us we could only leave our car in the garage until checkout time at 12, but we were later told that we could keep it there until 5 p.m. You do not need a card or anything to exit the garage.

We were also glad to have breakfast included. We got to breakfast both days around 9 a.m. Saturday morning was full but not crowded. There was a good selection of food and beverages, and there is a separate, decorated section with a number of tables to sit at. Sunday morning was filled to overcapacity. I’m not sure why such a difference, but it was the day before Presidents’ Day. They ran out of clean dishes and put out plastic, and also I believe they ran out of eggs and pancakes, either that or they were not on the menu. They had to open up another room to seat the overflow crowd. But we were able to find seats, to eat and were satisfied with the food. There was still a good selection of pastries, waffles, cereal, bagels, etc.

All in all, this hotel is on a quiet street, but really close to the busy-ness of downtown. It seemed very clean, and I have no major complaints. We would very likely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor (it goes up to 13) away from the train and the elevators.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Michelle C

Reviewed 17 February 2012

I really enjoyed staying here. It was clean and the staff was very friendly. The kitchens had all you needed for cooking and eating. It was in walking distance from the main attractions (smithsonian, capitol hil, ect..) The breakfast was really good.

We only had one problem and that was with the toliet leaking. They put us in another room and that toliet wouldnt flush but they were nice and an plumber fixed it!

I would definatly recommend!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 February 2012

I'm giving this hotel five stars compared to other hotels in its class (not comparing it to high-end luxury hotels). We recently spent four days here with our son, daughter-in-law and grandkids ages 4 1/2 and 2 1/2. It was a mini-vacation, principally to take our grandkids to the Natural History Museum and the Air and Space Museum, both within walking distance. I don't have to tell parents of small children the advantages of having a full-size refrigerator and microwave in the room! And the room our grandkids and their parents stayed in was upgraded, and thus, spacious enough to not need a crib. Our grandson loved the pool. Both grandkids loved taking the Metro (subway) to lunch and dinner and were proud to master the escalators. Although as others have mentioned, there are limited eating establishments nearby (note -- The pizza place next door also has gelato), there are lots of really fun restaurants at Barracks Row just two subway stops away (Eastern Market). We loved lunch at Ted's Bulletin and Matchbox. But my principal reason for writing this review is to thank the lovely staff at the Residence Inn. They were great with our grandkids and even gave them coloring books. From the front desk, to housekeeping, to the breakfast staff, they happily and patiently answered every question and tended to every need, always with grace and humor. They greeted us warmly whenever we came back after a busy day. We send kudos to all the Residence Inn staff for making our stay perfect!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank Skippysand
Reviewed 29 January 2012

Just spent 3 days visiting the monuments and museums. As others have mentioned the location is in a pretty uninteresting office location just 4 blocks south of the Air & Space museum. The area seems pretty safe - no problems walking from Metrorail station to hotel. But it is very quiet at night and weekends. There is a commuter rail line just behind the hotel - I was lucky to get a room in the middle but sometimes I could still hear the low rumble. Not bad enough to disturb sleep.

You could walk 10-15 min to Capitol Hill, Library of Congress, National Gallery of Art. However, the main advantage is that it is only 1 block away from the Federal Center station which is on the Blue line. This line gets you to most of the tourist locations: Smithosonian, White House, Washington monument, Lincoln memorial, Pentagon & Reagan airport (DCA). There are no restaurants nearby - a pizza place next door, a sandwich / deli in NASA building opposite (lunch) and MacDonald's about 3 blocks north on 4th St. There's a supermarket a few blocks south.

The hotel itself is basic but good. Rooms are large and have a small kitchen along with cooking utensils, plates, etc. Microwave and medium sized fridge. Generally clean and slight wear on the furnishings. TV was a bit temperamental - the repair guy said that often unplugging the power will reset & fix things up. Staff are generally pleasant and helpful. Breakfast was included but basic - cereals, bread, make your own waffles, fruit and very average quality hot food eg. scrambled eggs (commercial prep), potatoes. Given the location & lack of alternatives, the breakfast was good enough to get you along your way.

I got a very good rate for January but I know this often doubles in other months. Overall, this is a good hotel for those with business nearby or family / tourists as the proximity to Blue line station is the clincher.

Room Tip: Rooms towards the front away from the railway tracks.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank PhotoMD
Reviewed 26 January 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights in January. This hotel is only 4-5 blocks away from the National Mall and the Air and Space Museum. It is also very close to a metro station. The only thing it's not close to is places to eat. There are a few fast food type places around but they all close pretty early. There is a grocery store a few blocks away. We took the Metro to restaurants in other areas of the city. Me and my husband felt safe walking back from the Metro to our hotel at night (but I probably wouldn't have done that by myself). The hotel itself is nice and the rooms are a good size. The free breakfast had many options. Overall, we would stay here again next time we visit DC.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cakeprincess57
Reviewed 13 January 2012

I stayed here on business last week to attend meetings at our HQ office just 2 blocks away. It was great to be so close to the office, but the food and entertainment options are quite limited in this area. The rooms were in impeccable shape and couldn't complain at all about cleanliness. Hotel common areas were too hot. I tried to workout in the fitness center, but it was too stuffy and hot to continue. Free breakfast is a great perk, but the food was pretty average. I never tried the evening meal, but heard it was decent. If you don't mind taking the metro or a cab you can find more restaurants in Chinatown. I do have to compliment the hotel gift shop as it had more items than any hotel gift shop I've ever been to and the prices weren't ridiculous either.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank JetSetFiend
Reviewed 4 January 2012

Two teenagers and two adults enjoyed our stay in two bedroom apartment with two bathrooms and 3 TVs with kitchen. Four blocks to safeway supermarket at Waterfront metro to cater for own meals less than 10 minute walk. Free breakfast pretty basic. We couldn't eat any of the hot food as it was pretty poor quality but fruit cereal yoghurt breads and muffins great kickstart to the day. Had the free dinner one night catered to kids taste. Very clean rooms and good service. Great laundry facilities and pool, gym. Location pretty lonely but this also means quiet and seemed safe. Probably nicer in the summer to walk down to the river / waterfront area but too cold in January. Opposite NASA headquarters which you can visit with photo id and less than 10 min walk to Air and Space, other Smithsonian museums and the hop on hop off buses. Stay in the downtown area if you want shops and restaurants but this Hotel was great value and location for families or if you want to be close but not too close to many sites of Washington.

• Stayed: January 2012