“The perfect spot to explore the Smithsonians”

Residence Inn Washington, DC/Capitol
Ranked #60 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Woodinville, Washington
“The perfect spot to explore the Smithsonians”
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Always wanted to visit the Smithsonian and finally booked the trip. Figured we'd spend a day at the Air and Space Museum, a day at the History Museum and a day at the Natural History Museum and ½ day looking at the monuments so we knew where we'd be. Wanted to avoid the crowds of cherry blossom time so picked the week before celebrations started. Hotel rates were higher than our comfort zone so husband saw "cherry blossom specials" in NY Times article. Since $43 per night parking was ridiculous, we were going to do this trip without a car so closeness to Metro station was a must. Rates here were reasonable but a little higher than what we're used to paying (AVG $250/night). Didn't want to spend an hour a day commuting to get a lower rate to stay at Tyson's Corner, etc. so it was between this hotel and hotel in L'Enfant Plaza – both had similar rates and standards, were close to a Metro station and had a pool. Free hot breakfast at Residence Inn, free wi-fi and full kitchen tipped the scale. Boy were we glad we picked this one! Not many food choices in the neighborhood but usual manager's "reception" actually was full dinner M-W and for no additional charge they'll grocery shop for you at local Safeway and add the grocery bill to your room. After we had exhausted the food options available – the only reason the pizza guy next door is in business – we figured out there was loads of food choices 2-3 Metro stops away. Air and Space Museum is a short walk away and other museums we wanted to see were close to Smithsonian Metro stop two stops away. Found bike rental rack on 4th so ended up exploring monuments after church on Sunday (a little pricey for 2 people 4 hrs but it was good weather). Ended up that cherries peaked early this year after all so we had the perfect trip.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Terry M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
East Williamson, New York
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I can't say enough good things about our recent stay. We stayed in the 2 bedroom suite which has a full living room, kitchen, & 2 bedrooms with separate baths & closets. The kitchen was fully stocked with dish service including plates, coffee cups, water glasses, silverware and cooking utensils, paring knives, pots & pans, mixing bowls, even wine glasses! I had packed a lot of these things to take with me, not knowing what would be in the room. I didn't need to bring most of the supplies I packed. There's also a full frig, sink, microwave and dishwasher. Kitchen table seats 4. We had 3 adults and a 16 mth baby in our party and were absolutely thrilled with the space and privacy this room allowed us. The hotel will provide a portable crib on request-- we brought our own. This fit nicely into one of the bedrooms. The buffet breakfast available from 6:30AM to 9:30Am is WONDERFUL - anything you could possibly want to eat/drink and very tasty, and best of all FREE. The staff was always friendly & helpful. We arrived at 10PM and were able to park on the street for free till 7AM, then moved our car into the hotel garage. The rate is pretty steep ($34.50/nite) but I did notice (too late) that there's another garage next door for $14/nite. The metro is around the corner and down one block. The National Mall/Smithsonian museums are about 10 minute walk (3 -4 blocks). I gave the location a 4 star rather than 5 only because there aren't a lot of other businesses such as restaurants or shops nearby, at least none that we could find easily. But as noted, the metro is very close, and taxi cabs were very easy to get. Everything else was 5 star for me. On one of our outings the wheel fell off of our baby stroller and we were panicked. Upon arriving back at the hotel we mentioned it to the hotel staff just hoping they could direct us to a bike shop or somewhere to have it repaired. The hotel immediately offered to send an engineer to our room to look at the stroller, which they then fixed for us. It's little things like this that make a world of difference to traveling parents with small children. We wanted to just move in and never leave! If/when I ever return to DC I will definitely stay here again.

3 Thank jammy52
Reviewed 12 March 2012

We went to DC for a long weekend and nabbed a cheap room from Priceline. The room had a queen bed (super comfy!) and a pull-out couch (not as comfy but nice to have). We arrived in the city at 9am and thought we could drop off our car before we headed out into the city. We stopped at the front desk and they said our room was already ready to check in! So we checked in and headed out. We loved having the kitchen area, we reaheated food to save money on meals. It is a bit of a walk to get to most of the attractions, but cabs were readily available. The staff was super helpful! The breakfast in the morning was awesome! The only negative was parking is $30 a day, which seemed a little high.

2 Thank bencurry
Smithsburg, Maryland, USA
Reviewed 4 March 2012

I loved everything about this hotel! We had a party of 6 and stayed in the 1BR suite w/2 queen beds and sofabed room. If there was one thing I didn't love is that me & my husband slept on the sofabed, I've never seen a real comfy one!! But we were so tired we slept just fine. The hotel check-in was great, BIANCA was the best! She was friendly and so willing to help us out with places to eat in a family setting. When we had mentioned my daughters birthday brought us here, she gave her a complimentary in room movie!! I loved the setting being the more quiet end of town. Still very close to the National Mall and all the museums. The parking deck was very convenient. The breakfast was wonderful with what I've always called the "flippy waffles" with chocolate chips/whipped topping/blueberry/strawberry toppings, scrambled eggs, red roasted potatoes, sausage gravy/biscuits, sausage, oatmeal/toppings, cereal, yogurt, etc... with plenty of seating. Our room was very clean and spacious. My husband loved the HD ESPN channel! We also used the pool area, which was nice but small. A large group was using the pool when we got there and they were loud and not real curtious to others, but not the hotels faught. Could here the train when it would go by, but it was not loud by no means. We will definitely use this hotel anytime we are staying overnight in DC. Thanks for a great stay!!

2 Thank alklinelovesvacation
mtleith
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Enroute to DC, I had managed to lose my credit card and my phone. Upon arriving at the hotel the desk clerk was able to check me into my room early and provided a free upgrade stating "hopefully this will help make your day a little better". The hotel was extremely clean and the beds were comfortable. My only complaint is that the fan would kick on during the night and make a horrible vibrating noise. One night it actually kept me up throughout the night. They sent an engineer to check into it the next morning. And, although it did occur again the next couple of nights, the noise level seemed less and it didn't occur quite as frequent. I'm thinking we just had a bad room, which was also the reason it was so easy to get into. Anyway, our stay was pleasant. Only recommendation is that the hotel offer additional services, such as shuttle and money services. The desk clerk and manager went out of their way to assist me with some travel needs, but were limited in what they could do - to no fault of their own and not for a lack of trying.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank mtleith
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We stayed two nights at this hotel in February with a family of four.

It is in a neighborhood with businesses, which means it was quieter at night. I wouldn’t call it desolate. There are restaurants nearby, and it is within blocks of the Mall. If you are looking to be close to nightclubs or sit-down restaurants, then this is not the place. We are used to quiet, so we appreciated it.

There is a train that runs behind the hotel. I did hear it slightly at night (thought at first it was thunder), but it didn’t bother me in general. However, beginning in the morning, it does blow its whistle for some reason. This is the same time that other guests begin getting up and using the elevator and slamming their doors, so you’ll probably be awake anyway. If you live in a city or other noisy area, you probably won’t notice any of the noises as this is not a noisy area, day or night. We also felt quite safe walking in this neighborhood, and in all of downtown for the most part.

We had a Queen/sofa bed room, so there was a separate bedroom that had a door which closed between it and the “sitting area.” With the door closed, the bedroom was fairly quiet at night according to my husband. The heating/cooling was up to date and kept us comfortable without us noticing it, so that's good. I only noticed it once or twice in the night when it came on or switched off.

I slept with my younger daughter on the sofa bed in the sitting area. If you get a room with a sofa bed, they do not make it up for you, you must make it up yourself (sheets are in the closet). For the price of the room, I was surprised by this. The sofa bed was not too uncomfortable, but frankly with all the walking we did I was exhausted and could have slept on the floor. We had plenty of pillows. The main door to the hotel room, like many hotel doors, is too short by at least ½ inch. That means that light and noise come from the hallway. I rolled up the mini-bedspread and put it at the bottom of the door to block out light. Unfortunately, we were near the elevator, so beginning about 7 a.m. I could hear the beeping of the elevator. The windows have blackout drapes. The refrigerator running did wake me up once.

The room came with a mini-kitchen with two counter-top burners, a dishwasher and a full refrigerator. The cabinets had ceramic bowls, plates, and mugs, plus glasses. There are pots, a colander, and cooking utensils, as well as real (not plastic) eating utensils. There are enough to serve 4 people. They also provide paper towels, dish soap and a wash cloth. This was so cool! We cooked and ate dinner in our room each night. Then the kids could swim while I made dinner. There was a small table to eat at.

There was a flat-screen tv in each room. There is a closet to hang clothes which contains an ironing board, the iron, and a wall safe. The bathroom sink has a large counter and is outside the bathroom, which has a door. There is no exhaust fan. The bathroom was very nice – I hate when bathrooms have sloppy caulking, etc. It was also very clean. The shower curtain was rounded, so the curtain doesn’t blow into you when you’re showering.

We thought that we hadn’t been given enough towels, but on packing up we realized there was an extra set of towels in one of the drawers. The hairdryer is in a drawer next to the sink.

The ladies we met at the desk were very nice and accommodating. The gentlemen that my husband dealt with at the desk, not so much. The one gentleman that helped us get our luggage out of the luggage storage was very nice.

The hotel has a parking garage underneath. It is tight, but our Ford Escape fit just fine. There were plenty of spaces. We liked the price, and that it was park yourself rather than valet. You need to check in and use your room card to get in the garage. You also need your room card to use the elevator or the pool.

The official check in time is 4 p.m. I believe, but when we arrived around 1 p.m. we were able to go right to our room. Checkout is normally 10 am, but we were allowed late checkout (til 12). We were able to leave our luggage in a secure room on our last day with no time limit. One gentleman told us we could only leave our car in the garage until checkout time at 12, but we were later told that we could keep it there until 5 p.m. You do not need a card or anything to exit the garage.

We were also glad to have breakfast included. We got to breakfast both days around 9 a.m. Saturday morning was full but not crowded. There was a good selection of food and beverages, and there is a separate, decorated section with a number of tables to sit at. Sunday morning was filled to overcapacity. I’m not sure why such a difference, but it was the day before Presidents’ Day. They ran out of clean dishes and put out plastic, and also I believe they ran out of eggs and pancakes, either that or they were not on the menu. They had to open up another room to seat the overflow crowd. But we were able to find seats, to eat and were satisfied with the food. There was still a good selection of pastries, waffles, cereal, bagels, etc.

All in all, this hotel is on a quiet street, but really close to the busy-ness of downtown. It seemed very clean, and I have no major complaints. We would very likely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor (it goes up to 13) away from the train and the elevators.