“Nice find!”

Residence Inn Washington, DC/Capitol
Ranked #66 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We loved the concierge here. Jonathon helped us so much. We came to DC not having much of an idea how to go about things. He sent us in the right direction several times. He was so kind as to call one of the best restaurants in town for us- as he had a connection there. When we got there, they were about to seat us in the back when the host asked if Jonathon had sent us. We said yes, and we got the best table in the house. Jonathon also walked w/us part of the way to the capitol. He went out of his way to make us feel comfortable and welcome. The room was also great. Very clean, and huge. It was just what my big family needed! They have a yummy breakfast buffet in the morning. I really can't get over how kind everyone here was. The desk staff, the housekeeping staff, the concierges (all of them!). This hotel is nice and close to the national mall as well. The only downside to this hotel is it's distance from the fun things like good food/bars, etc.. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: the higher floors offer a view of the capitol.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank DanaStangel

Reviewed 25 February 2014

IF you like trains, then this is the place for you. Located just feet from the main Amtrak line into Washington, you'll enjoy the sound of locomotives at all hours. Interesting that they don't mention the proximity to the tracks on the property's website. Avoid rooms ending in "20" if you want to get some sleep: these are suites closest (and I mean close!) to the tracks.

Due a late flight, I found myself pressing a button several times to be let in; shouldn't be that way.
Check in was efficient and the bedding comfortable. I turned off the refrigerator in the room as it was clanking and clunking. The morning's breakfast, although free, was a huge disappointment. No eggs were made to order - gelatinous scrambled was in a heated pan. There were no donuts or sweets, just selections of toast and muffin. The chef d'cuisine just stood against a table and did not involve herself with the guests.

The gentleman at the Concierge desk was friendly and informative; but his hospitality needs to be replicated elsewhere in the property.

Room Tip: If you like trains, get a room ending in "20"
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank I-heart-Travel
William A, Manager at Residence Inn Washington, DC/Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review and sharing your experience. Regrettably, we did not meet your expectations during your stay.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced due to train noise. We would gladly block you into another area of the hotel in a future visit. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction, and as such I will share your feedback with the Food & Beverage department as well as all department managers. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit.

We would like to regain your trust and hope to serve you again in the future. If I may be of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Great get-away weekend hotel. Hotel is older but has been updated. Rooms are large and have kitchens with full size refrigerators. Beds have comfortable/clean bedding..(the kind that is washed after each guest) Rooms also have living room area with flat screen television. Breakfast was hot and good variety....scrambled eggs, waffles, sausage, yogurt, muffins, bagels, oatmeal, fresh fruit, etc. Our rooms did not have a good view but we were seldom in our rooms - only for sleeping. The metro is close and we could hear the trains going by at night but we were tired from walking and the beds were comfortable so no problem. The only negative was hotel parking.....expensive and tricky to park a mini van.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank agapeMom

Please accept our gratitude for choosing to stay with us! We're glad that you enjoyed your room accommodations, and our breakfast variety! Hopefully, you will be with us for a longer visit in the near future. I certainly understand your concerns with parking, it can be a bit tricky. We will be working on a resolution to this issue, and hope that when you do come back and see us, this will not be an area of concern for you. Thank you for the feedback!

Reviewed 10 February 2014

The Residence Inn is within walking distance of the US Capitol and related office buildings. The rooms are spacious but the bed was too soft for my tastes. The hotel gym is open 24 hours and has average equipment. The breakfast was average but there is no restaurant on the premises. After exercising early in the morning I was locked out of my room. The electronic room key did not work. It took over an hour for the hotel staff to fix the problem which turned out to be a dead battery in the door device.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Alan J
William A, Manager at Residence Inn Washington, DC/Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Hello Mr. Alan,

Thank you for your feedback on the hotel. I am sorry to hear about the door issue in your room, an hour is an excessive amount of time to wait to replace a dead battery. I will convey this to the engineering department so that we can at least minimize the time it takes to resolve that issue when it arises in the future. If you have any further feedback, or suggestions on how we could have turned your average stay into a great one, please feel free to contact me directly. We are always looking for ways to improve, and we certainly value your input.

I can be emailed at William.almestica@ricdc.com.

Thank you!

Reviewed 3 February 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights and loved staying here. The location of this place is very nice and places like Capitol, Mall and museums are at walking distance from this place. Nasa HQ is just opposite to this place and there are couple of eateries just round the corner of this place. I enjoyed the evening reception here on Monday evening. You can stay here if you are a tourist, or you visitor to the nearby offices.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank alkarpe
Reviewed 30 January 2014

The hotel itself is very nice. We recently stayed here for a visit to the museums on the mall and got a huge 2BR with a kitchenette for a very attractive price - with a free breakfast included. The pool/hot tub was great for us and our kids. It is a very short walk to Air and Space and the American Indian Museum (great for lunch BTW) and a not too long walk to everything else on the mall. The staff was polite and helpful. But for a few caveats it would have been five stars...

1) First and foremost be aware that the area around the hotel shuts down at night and on weekends. It didn't in any way feel unsafe - just be aware that unless you are willing to eat pizza for dinner you'll be taking the metro or a cab to go to dinner.

2) The beds were not up to usual Marriott (or even Courtyard by Marriott) standards. Not a problem for the kids...but my back was feeling it after two nights.

3) The breakfast definitely skews southern - there was nothing really that wasn't sweet or fatty (e.g. nuts covered in syrup, no plain yogurt, no lean meats, etc.).

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Leo M
Reviewed 27 January 2014

This hotel is very nice!, the hotel location is fantastic, it is withing walking distance to all areas in the DC- Mall (Museum of Air and Space is super close!!, and all other smithsonians are very close too), plus there is a subway (metro) station within 10 minutes waking.The staff is very helpful and the breakfast it is really a full breakfast (sausages, cheese, eggs, bread, cereals, variety of juices, coffee, milk) I mean, all that I would need in a complete breakfast for a day out walking and sightseeing in the U.S. Capital. This is so close to the main attractions, that me and my family did not use the metro that much. My wife and kid were very happy with the hotel and the room was very clean and had a kitchen and a sofa-bed. Definitely will stay here again!

Room Tip: Get high floors to avoid some noises from the train. ( the noises are very low, but if you are sensi...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family