“We loved this hotel!”

Ranked #60 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Minneapolis
“We loved this hotel!”
Reviewed 2 September 2009

This location is great! Walking distance to the Capitol building or the Mall with the Smithsonians... The hotel... We totally loved this place! We had a beautiful and very large room with a full kitchen. Basically it was like staying in a nice apartment. The beds were very comfy and the room was always kept nice and clean. The staff was very friendly and the breakfast was the best free hotel breakfast we've ever had. The only slight negative was the pool is ridiculously small. But who cares, it's DC... Go see the amazing sights until you're ready to drop!

If we ever make it back to DC we will definitely stay here again!

2 Thank kkredding

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 26 August 2009

Well situated for visiting DC--- walking distance to the National Mall, Smithsonian Museums and the Metro ( 2 blocks away). Parking right in the building. Good rooms, comfortable modern and well kept furnishings including immaculate mini kitchen. Great breakfast with lots of choices and efficient staff. Friendly and helpful front desk staff. Highly recommended for business and pleasure. One small fault, the small salt water pool was not heated.

1 Thank cardtraveler
MN
Reviewed 25 August 2009

We couldn't check in until 4 PM, but we got there at noon. They took our bags and stored them in lock storage for the rest of the afternoon!! So we could walk without bags.

It's only about 5 blocks from the Mall and only two blocks from the Orange and Blue line Federal SW Metro station. Very convenient. Not much going on at night in this area. Very little retail or restaurants in the area. But with the subway so close, and so cheap, it was easy to get up to Chinatown or Dupont Circle.

Excellent breakfast every AM. Dinner and M/T/W. And the food was good. I don't know how they can afford doing it.

All the rooms are suites and it was great to have the extra space with two teenagers. And the refrig and microwave. We didn't use the stovetop or oven.

The pool was nice, but super cold the night we were there. Would definitely return.

1 Thank freddad
SCHMIDY
Reviewed 19 August 2009

Since the reviews on Trip Advisor assisted me in choosing this hotel...I thought I would provide my own review. I have stayed in many types of hotels from the Ritz Carlton in Cancun to the Hampton Inn in Marshall MI and I can honestly say, the hotel staff at this hotel is one of the finest. They are extremely friendly and helpful.

As for my stay, my fiancée and I decided on the Residence Inn since we were cashing in some Marriott miles we had not used. The location is great as far as getting on the metro to get to other places. I will agree with one reviewer, there are not many restaurants in the area. However, the metro is a short block away and can be taken to a restaurant. I suggest Gordon Biersch and Clyde's at the Gallery. We also dined at the Oceanaire which I found overpriced. I am from Chicago and have dined at some great restaurants and was not impressed.

The hotel was wonderful. It is close to the Capital and like I have stated...very close to the metro. If you plan to do grocery shopping, I would suggest that you have them pick it up for you (which the hotel offers at no charge). The grocery store they recommend is not in a safe neighborhood (I live on the northside of the city of Chicago and I was somewhat scared of the neighborhood) The hotel I am convinced is aware of this and that is why they offer pick up.

The breakfast was good. They do seem to run out of sausage though...in the five days we stayed there they had sausage only three times. The evening reception was good as well (although we only had it one night). This is only offered Monday thru Wednesday.

If you want alcohol in your room, they do sell beer and wine at the gift shop. They do not sell it at the grocery store. The hotel also recommends as liquor store at the Eastern Market exit on the blue line. This is a safe neighborhood.

We stayed in room 1105 which had two queen beds. The beds were comfortable and the room was spacious. I suggest not renting a car if you are watching the cost of your trip. The Metro is very nice and I was very impressed in the service.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SCHMIDY
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 18 August 2009

Overall, I thought the Residence Inn Washington/Capitol was a decent hotel. There were no real highlights nor any major problems. Here are the pros and cons I noted:

Pros: The hotel is only about a block from the Federal SW Metro station. The location feels safe and quiet. It is only 3-4 blocks from Capitol Hill and the Mall. There is a sandwich shop and a Starbucks around the corner from the hotel. The hotel offers a free breakfast buffet and some other amenities including free dinner Mondays through Wednesdays and movie night on weekends. The hotel does offer a pool and spa. Rooms were clean and spacious. Soundproofing between the rooms was excellent. The staff was efficient.
Location Cons: The rear of the hotel abuts the railroad tracks. Noise can be heard from the trains all night. Do not book a room at the end of the hall (numbers ending in 19 or 20) or your room will be right near the tracks. There are no restaurants in walking distance. The free buffet was poorly run-food ran out constantly, especially waffle batter. Eggs were runny every day. The pool was small and the room reeked of chlorine. Although capable, the staff was cold and unfriendly.

Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank dznydreamer
SC
Reviewed 2 August 2009

The hotel was great - quiet, good breakfast, comfortable, and clean. We got a great weekend rate. Barely heard the train. The $30 parking was a bit over the top but it is DC. The swimming pool was small but we weren't there for swimming.

Location is great to walk to the Smithsonian Air and Space museum.

By far the biggest con was the lack of local restaurants. We got in at 7:30 pm and went to go get dinner. The local delis/sandwich places seem to mainly serve lunch. The Smithsonian restaurants were closed. We walked to Penn Quarter (almost 2 miles) to find something to eat. (The Austin Grill is great BTW.)

Loved the hotel but the constant effort to find a place to eat may stop us from staying there again (we had to plan to eat dinner before returning to hotel.)

Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Boston, MA
Reviewed 2 August 2009

Just returned from the Residence Inn Capitol and, all things considered, I probably would not stay here again. The property itself is adequate but the location leaves something to be desired as it’s not in the greatest of areas. Parking in the garage was very difficult and worst of all there are no family friendly full service restaurants in the immediate area. The hotel offers a complimentary breakfast buffet each morning, which is alright, but not nearly as good as the Embassy Suites buffet. Food items consisted of pancakes or French toast (the frozen and reheated variety), as well as sausage, oatmeal, pastries, fresh fruit, juices, coffee etc. The best part of the buffet were the waffle makers. Sadly though, on our day of departure these were not set up because (as one of the kitchen workers told me) “someone had forgotten to order waffle batter.” Be forewarned that the buffet gets extremely overcrowded on weekend. On the Saturday morning that we were there the breakfast buffet was chaotic and the hotel seemed to be incapable of handling the sheer volume of guests that day. When we got to the buffet at about 8:00 there was not a single table available and there were a good numbers of other families who were also scouring the dining room for a table. In light of the overload, the hotel staff was in the process of setting up some additional tables in an adjoining room, but they seemed to be taking there time doing this. Some other families actually used some of the tables in the lobby as well as the concierge tables in light of this. After I finally secured a table in the main dining room though (and the hotel staff still had not set up any overflow tables by that point) we got to the buffet only to find that they had actually run out of plates and silverware, but by that point nothing would surprise me and I joked with my wife that any moment I was sure they would announce that they had run out of food and were closing the buffet; fortunately though that did not happen. Buffet issues aside, our room was very nice, however, there was a permanently ground in toothpaste stain in the carpet and some other seemingly immovable stain on the kitchen table. We were on the E Street side of the property so we did not have much of a view. Parking was $30 a day and the hotel garage is extremely cramped. If you have a small car then you shouldn’t have any trouble parking, but if you have an SUV then prepare for a squeeze. On the plus side though, the garage is gated. The hotel pool is adequate. It’s a salt water pool, which is okay, but what’s not okay is the excessively high chlorine level. My eyes were stinging for hours after opening them for a just a few moments in the pool. Location wise, the hotel is situated just a stones throw from the U.S. Capitol building, the Air and Space Museum and the Native American museum. However, if you were to walk that same distance in the opposite direction you would then find yourself in a rather unsightly section of DC that you probably wouldn’t won’t want to spend any time in. In terms of restaurants, there’s a deli across the street from the hotel, a Potbelly’s sandwich shop around the corner and a McDonalds a few block down en route to the Capitol Building, but otherwise there are no full service restaurants suitable for a sit down dinner in the immediate area. I should also point out that the McDonalds is very dirty and there continually seemed to be homeless people hovering in its vicinity; suffice it to say we did not eat there. Due to the lack of restaurants in the area, I probably would not bring my family here again. After a long day of sightseeing and touring the city under a hot sun, we just wanted to relax and sit down to a nice dinner; so every night we had to make the decision of venturing out on the metro to find a nice restaurant or settle for takeout. If I were travelling solo for business, I would probably stay here again, but given the lack of dining options for dinner, I probably would not bring my family here again.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family