“Outstanding cocktails”

Ranked #1 of 3,429 Restaurants in Washington DC
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 11 September 2016 via mobile

My partner and I were visiting from NYC for my birthday. We run cocktail bars in the UK and were keen to check out what DC had to offer, Barmini did not let us down.

The fantastic bartender JP looked after us so well and even made me an off menu birthday drink. This guy clearly understand his liquors and is super attentive to boot.

If you're into your cocktails this is the place to check out. Great job guys, I'm sure we'll be back sometime soon :)

Date of visit: September 2016
Write a reviewReviews (274)

Reviewed 3 September 2016

Not to be confused with Minibar, though housed right next door, is Jose Andres' unique version of a cocktail bar. Which, may I say, looks and feels like you are in someone's home. The seating area is set up like a living room- well, a living room on acid. And there is an open cocktail 'kitchen'. The drinks of course are going to cost and arm and a leg, but they are worth it. They are inventive, eye-catching, and well-made. There is a limited snack food/ bar bites menu so you can try such wonderful creations as foieffle (foie gras waffle). Reservations are essential as seating is limited and it is insanely popular.

Date of visit: February 2016
Reviewed 26 August 2016

My bf chose this place to celebrate 3 yrs together and bar made it extra special. Let me start out by saying if you want to experience this place, you will be making reservations at least 2 weeks in advance AND be sure to sit at the bar!! At first, I did not understand why it would take so long to get a reservation, but after this visit, I totally get it!! It is like fine dining, but for drinks. What makes this place so perfect and different from the average bar is the personal bartender you have during your 1-2 hr time there. And watching them prepare your drink is like watching a chef prepare the perfect meal. It is utterly amazing. From the smoke to the spraying (from what looked like the old-fashion perfume spray bottles). While the drinks are great, the preparation us what makes the place the most fun.

There are so many drinks you can taste and we wish we had the time to do the 2 hr cocktail treat. But for the hour or so we spent there, we were able to try 3 different drinks. Each one never disappointed (especially given we had the bartender choose them for us). It is rare to go to a bar and not walk away with a favorite.

We didn't really eat here, but I did order the liquid olive and a grilled cheese. Neither was what I was expecting at all. Both were really good and that liquid olive was interesting. So whether you come for drinks or come for food, the conversation will be never ending as you watch some of the most amazing drinks put together.

Date of visit: August 2016
Reviewed 21 August 2016 via mobile

Truly feels like you are in a bar laboratory.
Our only disappointment is that we didn't have a seat at the bar area, we were on a side table so couldn't see as much as you would if closer. Request a bar seat when making a reservation if you only have 2pp. What I loved the most is the meticulous detail making sure each drink had the proper glassware to enhance the flavor. Also the mix of super modern with antique. We had 4 different drinks between 2 people and each was unique and amazing!! What a fantastic experience. Cant wait to try MiniBar next.

Date of visit: August 2016
Reviewed 12 August 2016

Amazing cocktails with molecular chemistry elements. It was a fun experience. Too bad we could only get the last reservation, which didn't leave us enough time to try the flight. I'll definitely go back for the flight.

Date of visit: May 2016