“Delicious, relaxing evening”

Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Dupont Circle
Reviewed 11 June 2014

My husband took me to Komi for our anniversary and what a wonderful experience we had. Typically when I eat multiple courses, I find myself overwhelmed and just too full by the end, but Komi did a beautiful job of pacing the food and providing perfect tasting portions. The food was spectacular, the service impeccable, the place intimate, tasteful, and relaxing. Highly recommend and we will be back.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

The night before we ate at Komi we ate a Daniel in NYC. Daniel is a baseline destroyer. We were prepared for a "decent" but nothing special kind of meal. Damn, did I get that one wrong. Greek inspired, multi course, tasting menu with something for everyone: Crudo, French Molecular Gastronomy, two plates chock full of simply and perfectly prepared pork and goat. In a word...WOW. I was sad that they discourage pictures because I would be looking at and posting them now. This is a destination restaurant in plain clothes. It will be tough not to return the next time we are in DC.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Easily one of the best meals in the USA - 16 dishes each prepared to perfection - from the lamb to the mascarpone dates. The only thing that excels the quality of the food is the staff serving it. We visit DC just to have a meal at Komi - highly recommended! Just make sure you book ahead of time (one month), so there are no disappointments.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

I have noticed that several reviews criticize the repetitiveness of the experience...this was my second time and everything but the goat was unique and amazing. The veal sweet breads were bites of unctuousness, the pork cheek ravioli with fava beans was other worldly, the trout bite with some red condiment I can't recall was amazingly simple but delicious, and the poached sea urchin was stunning. The service as before was impeccable. The wine selections were interesting and reasonable. I did not to do the pairing this time but yet was still introduced to some amazing wines. Specifically a red from Lebanon that was knock your socks off good. Who knew? Keep up the inspiration Komi!

1  Thank Claudia D
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Disclosure: I love world-class food, restaurants, and atmosphere and have celebrated this around the world. There are restaurants like Komi scattered around the world that are beloved that I just don't get.

The attempt to present as many obscure ingredients as possible into bite size Rubik's Cube portions and make them divine alludes me. If in your life, you have to eat an animal's heart or digestive system, a berry that grows under a toadstool of an ancient tree, or a preparation of food found in recently discovered scrolls, by all means, you have to go to Komi.

Dislikes:
3.5 hour meal on chairs that are too hard.
Most bites/courses, nothing to write home about. (again if contemplating the amazing ingredients and their artistry in preparation is your thing, I can respect that)
Agree with another reviewer that the climax of the meal being a mass of salty/fatty goat was quite a bit underwhelming.
3.5 hour meal.
Design of place created a loud environment, even though there weren't that many people there. A bit loud for this kind of experience in my opinion.

Likes: Wine Steward very knowledgeable and the wines were extremely good.
Service was very doting and always on the ball.
It was enough food where a stop on the way home for a meal wasn't required.

I would truly find incredulous any man that would confide to me that he loved this dining experience. To impress a date, create a romantic experience, make up for a wrongdoing or earn points for a future one, I totally understand the reasons to communicate your amazement at the wonderful experience.

For a shorter time, cheaper price, and better experience, I would have hit Acadiana, DC Coast, Smith & Wollenski, Caucus Room, etc.; had a cocktail afterwards at one of the neighboring swanky hotels; and gotten back home or to the hotel with time and energy for other fun activities.

3  Thank TerryinVA