“FRESH Sushi for an Even FRESHER Price!”

Kotobuki Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #1,090 of 3,298 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Reviewed 4 May 2013

The first time I went to this quaint little Japanese restaurant I could tell it was going to be great. Not only is it incredibly fresh and delicious, its suuuper authentic. After I went there I was raving about it with my friends and they all told me they have heard of it before and that it was rated the number one sushi spot in DC (but who knows about that one). Anyways, its an incredible place to eat whether you're dining in or taking sushi to go. Fun fact though, if you decide to eat-in, the sushi chefs ONLY play Beatles music and thats SUPER cool lol. Enjoy!

1  Thank ElGringoAlto

Reviewed 1 May 2013

there are two new sushi chef and the quality started going down. the fish is thinner, and sometimes the chef with mustache serves as if I was dining in tokyo subway vento vending machine. It is becoming apparent that these two chefs, not only can't, but rather are very different style and mentality what Kotobuki has been put up over the many years. The quality goes down and the price almost doubled. It is not surprising anymore that you find not-so-fresh raw fish served, or some cut goes bad so easily when you order take-out. It is quite disappointing from all-time trust-worthy place turning into a typical city sushi restaurant. Really, the fish are cut smaller and thinner; and fat tuna or tuna / salmon served not so fresh, and rolls are only half way rolled and cut hence it's like gutted roll. Two chefs though greet you in and out loudly. But i rather have quality and fresh sushi. again, tokyo subway sushi stop, this is becoming of.

1  Thank takashi H
Reviewed 28 September 2012

Because we moved to this neighborhood, and friends recommended this place to us, we tried their sushi/sashimi two times, so far (to go). It's a small place, upstairs, very much like any traditional Japanese sushi houses. So far, I am not overly impressed - the shrimps (which I ordered the first time, and avoided the second) were "very dead" by the time they made it to our plate, cucumber rolls were split open, and other rolls were OK, but not mouthwatering. Hmmm... I begin to wonder about my friends' recommendations...

1  Thank Stefanek
Reviewed 12 September 2012

Very fresh and authentic japanese food. Nothing fancy, no waiting area, no bar and only a few tables. But if you can get it, its worth it!

Reviewed 5 July 2012

The resto is as small as a 1 bedroom apartment, not too much seats.
I love kamameshi, and they make kamameshi so good it reminds me of home. Their sushi's are pretty reasonable. We had half a dozen of lobster roll sushi and half tuna sashimi. Shumai is ok, and the mochi is something that I can get from the asian grocery. But overall, it is still the best sushi place in Washington D.C!

1  Thank PaiMeiLi