“Excellent food”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Brandywine St, NW
Transit: Tenleytown/ AU Metro Red Line
Description: The Dancing Crab, a Washington Institution for over 39 years is family owned and operated and has been serving their customers the freshest and largest hard shell blue crabs from world renowned Maryland's Chesapeake Bay's Eastern Shore. Known for their many famous visitors, this is the only true Maryland Style Crabhouse in Washington DC. Be prepared to have fun when planning a visit, especially with the phenomenal lunch and dinner Specials prepared by Our Famed Executive Chef, Michele Lisi...Enjoy live music on Fridays and Saturdays, incredible Happy Hour Specials Monday-Friday that includes Tuesday's 1/2 bottle wine nights. This upscale hole in the wall, is sure to bring joy to you and your guests. We pride ourselves in serving the freshest seafood. Once we sell out of our fresh seafood on any given night, our Kitchen closes until the next day delivery. Come dance, drink, and indulge yourselves!
“Excellent food”
Reviewed 16 August 2013

My husband & daughter loved the crab, clams, and shrimp. My don had a huge kids meal burger that he said was tasty. The ribeye was delicious. The truffle French fries were different but quite good. Hush puppies were approved by the husband also, and there was live music. The employees were very friendly, we really liked this establishment!!

• Visited August 2013
3 Thank Nurseval77

Boston, Massachusetts
“All you can eat crabs should say it all!”
Reviewed 11 August 2013

When in Washington D.C. recently all I wanted to eat were steamed blue crabs, the proper way. A few searches lead me to Dancing Crab. While the restaurant is nothing to write home about the crabs sure are.

The location, a couple thousand feet from a Metro stop, is convenient. They offer outdoor seating but even if you sit inside it's as if you are outside since the door remains open. The decor is a bit quirky but once you get passed all that and eat the crabs you will be quite happy you came. The price, $45, was fair for the sized crabs I received. They were small according to the waitress but seems more medium to me. They served me 12 per round and unless I asked for more when I was halfway done I'd have to wait what seemed like an eternity to get more. They come with hushpuppies which I could do without.

My boyfriend ate crab cakes and found them delicious. He especially enjoyed their fries, which he commented were seasoned to perfection!

For a casual setting to devour pounds of the steamed blue crabs the right way I would highly recommend a visit! I know I'll be back soon.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank Belle1025
Fort Wayne, Indiana
“Dancing Crab Redux”
Reviewed 10 August 2013

More than ever, The Dancing Crab is DC's restaurant for hard shell crabs. Under new ownership, this run down place has been spruced up, but more important the crabs are terrific. My waitress--Kris--still beautiful and efficient after serving up thousands of the sea critters, waited on me during my most recent visit. I'm coming back.

• Visited August 2013
3 Thank Steve C
“Amazing crab cakes in a wonky environment”
Reviewed 5 June 2013 via mobile

We stopped for HH and walked in to an empty restaurant. However at 430 they weren't sure we could stay as we "didn't have a reservation". With 6 of us, we were able to take a table. The specials online are wrong. We did order one round and some apps. The apps were tiny but the crab cakes were amazing-- all crab with no filling. For a 2" crab ball-$2. The fish and hips were 5 French fries and 2 2" pieces of fish. Overall not impressed.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank Urbanfarmgrl
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Good but pricey”
Reviewed 11 April 2013 via mobile

I tried the hush puppies due to reviews. They were ok, but considering most seafood restaurants give them for free, I didn't think they were worth the price. Fries were absolutely worth it and seasoned so well. Small spicy crabs were $6. A bit expensive for what you get. I got crab cakes and they were excellent.

• Visited April 2013