“Cut 'em a Break!”

Ranked #64 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Phoenix, Arizona
“Cut 'em a Break!”
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I was in DC for a week and would have spent my entire time here had our office travel person booked the room sooner. As noted by others, this is a brand-spanking new hotel and there are still some tweaks to be made but overall, I was very happy after spending 5 nights here.

I will say the hotel staff were extremely friendly and helpful. I needed a sewing kit to fix a button on a suit, but they didn't have any. The night manager offered to buy one if he had to, but he was able to get one from the nearby Renaissance. I thought the food at the Anthem restaurant was pricey, especially $25 for the breakfast buffet, but I guess that's just a cost of doing business in DC.

My only other gripes are that housekeeping missed us one day, but they were able to restock the coffee and bathroom supplies and cell/data service in my room was nearly non-existent. Management is working with the various providers to install repeaters in the building so that should be fixed soon. On the upside, there is free WiFi in the lobby with plenty of spots to plug in your tablet or laptop. The lobby itself has a huge, open atrium with a full-service bar and a Starbucks for your java jolt.

For my troubles, I was given access to the M Lounge on the 12th Floor which offered free internet access as well as snacks, and a free breakfast. I'll be sure to stay here again if I come back to DC next year.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Las Vegas
Reviewed 16 May 2014

First off, let me say I am a proud Marriott guy, staying literally hundreds of nights at the different properties in my many years of travel. With that said, my recent stay has left me with a very bitter taste in my mouth.

The property opened May 1, and it is a beautiful facility. My troubles started at 10 pm on the first night when I got a knock at the door at 10pm. There was flooding in the hallway and they were quite certain it was coming from my room. I assured them it was not, and I let them come in and inspect. Satisfied with what they saw, they left and I carried on with my work. Later that evening (2:45 in the morning, to be exact), I was woken by a phone call from the night manager insisting that my room was causing flooding throughout the hallway and they wanted to know if I was the cause of the problem. I assured them my room was dry and I was not the problem. The night manager apologized over and over again, and he promised me they would comp my room for the night for the trouble. That was a nice gesture and it helped me feel better about now being wide awake at 3am the night before a trade show.

I woke up in the morning and was about to take my morning shower when the phone again rang and I was told there was a pipe burst and I was going to be relocated to another room. Finally after waiting for a period of time, I was moved to a new room and was able to get my day started.

The next two mornings in my new room I had no hot water when I showered. I called down and they acknowledged the problem, but there was not anything they could do. You would hope with the rates they charge at this beautiful hotel they would have hot water, but maybe this was just things that needed to be worked out since they are just opening. I was ok with this and decided it was just an unlucky thing that all of these things happened to me in such a nice place.

Another annoyance was the lack of cell signal in the hotel. I have two cell phones (one for personal, one for business). One is an iPhone and one is a Samsung Galaxy S5 on verizon. Both didn't work well enough to be able to call out from my room. Again, I just chalked it up to bad luck.

What is really bothering me about my recent stay is the fact that when I checked out at 3:30am to catch a ridiculously early flight, I noticed on my statement that the first night was not comped, as promised. When I spoke with the night check out guy, he saw no notes in my file and could do nothing for me. I didn't have time to question or argue since I needed to quickly get to the airport, but this left a horrible taste in my mouth the whole way home. Why promise it when you couldn't deliver? I was traveling on business and the company paid for the room so it didn't hurt me personally, it just shows a lack of follow-up and commitment that I can't respect. I don't like being lied to.

I hope the issues get worked out and what I personally experienced in an isolated thing.

11 Thank Jon G
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Very lovely décor. Full service hotel which is great but can become expensive - lots of tips for those parking the car, help with bags, etc. One thing is that we were not told that continental breakfast was included and that ticks me off. It was just an oversight but little things like that annoy me because every morning I had to line up at Starbucks for coffee. I think that the hotel owes my husband a credit as he is a platinum member and we only stay at Marriott affiliates.

Room Tip: The rooms that overlook the centre indoor courtyard are quiet IF there are no parties going on in th...
Columbia, Maryland
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I attended a conference at the hotel this week, and overall, thought the hotel is nice and did a good job being relatively new. What left a lingering impression on me was when I went to get my car from valet, the charge was $53! I park in garages and other hotels throughout the city and at the most, have paid less than half this amount. While in the hotel, I spent money on food and beverage and was considering using the hotel for a major conference for my company - hundreds of guests, but am reconsidering after getting gouged for parking - even spoke to a manager about it but all he could do was shrug his shoulders and said he realized it was way high. The hotel has plenty of opportunity to generate revenue, but I don't believe parking should be one that is going to be well received and believe the hotel should reconsider what they charge their guests.

2 Thank Daniel B
Austin, Texas, United States
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

All in all, this brand new hotel is a nice place to stay and a great place to look at. The design is very modern and might not appeal to everyone. The main lobby is open and airy, but the sunlight can be overpowering coming through the glass ceiling. We ate breakfast (the buffet) at the cafe off the main lobby and it was very good, if a little expensive. It IS DC, so what do you expect? We had lunch at the sports bar and it was also very good. The Texas nachos are excellent, but could use more chili. The rooms are very comfortable and provide plenty of space for a single business traveler. The bath and shower are what you would expect from a high end Marriott property. The fitness center is huge with multiple treadmills and even free weights on two floors. The GREATEST part about the hotel currently is the Dignitary Bar on the lobby level. The staff there was attentive, the drinks were made to perfection and the ambiance/character of the bar is something to see.

Here's the not so great: the first morning, the water in the shower was slightly warm, at best. This problem was corrected that afternoon. There is still construction going on - hammer drills, replacing tiles, etc. so be prepared for a little dust.

One thing to note - the staff is absolutely amazing. They're attentive and the vast majority will ask how your day is going or say a simple hello. If you have trouble finding anything, they're right there to help.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank David L
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 8 May 2014

The hotel open this past weekend for a 9000 person conference that was taking place across the street. While the hotel is a great space there were a lot of growing pains during this first week. The restaurants were extremely slow with service and food. I had to wait more than 20 minutes for a ice tea refill and the place was empty. I didn't receive housekeeping for an entire 24 hour period even through I called and requested my room be cleaned twice. Many guests complained about not having any hot water for showers.

While the staff really wanted to help there were also a handful that looked like a deer in the headlights when you asked them a questions.

This will probably be a great property in about 6 months but I would wait until they work out the kinks

2 Thank TravelForLifeNow