“Beautiful new hotel at convention center”

Marriott Marquis Washington, DC
Ranked #63 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 13 June 2014

They greeted us and took us to the reservation desk
There is still a little learning needed but the employees were really trying hard
Nice room-the usual but one of the nicest I have been in.
We were in a conference so it was convenient but otherwise not in the middle of everything.
Beautiful lobby
Food at seminar was excellent!!

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Whareareugoing
Write a ReviewReviews (1,771)

Reviewed 10 June 2014

I'm going easy on this property as I know it's only been open a little over 1 month. I was excited to stay here for 1 night as I'll be returning in November for a conference.
First, when I arrived in my car, the valet guy spoke little English. I wasn't confident he understood what I was saying. The check in process was great and typical Marriott. The signage on each floor needs to be updated. It appears at times, the arrow is pointing one direction and it's pointing a different direction when looking for your room. The gym is AMAZING! The M Lounge is very nice with a view of the top of the Washington Monument. I will have to say that I was very disappointed when I arrived at 9:05 AM on a weekday for breakfast only to have it cleared by 9:00 AM. My only choice was to eat in the restaurant. When I mentioned this to the front desk guy on check out, he apologized. Keep the food out a little longer in the lounge. The check out process was normal Marriott but I was hoping during the check out the breakfast would have been comp'd because of the lounge incident but it wasn't. The receipt was emailed to me...check out was yesterday and I'm still waiting on it. Yet, Avis can email me a receipt within 5 minutes. This hotel could be amazing once it works out its kinks. I'm hoping for a better experience when I return in November. It's in a great central location so you can walk to Metro Center or walk 2 blocks to the Metro Yellow/Green Line at Mt. Vernon Square.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jdinsandiego
Reviewed 10 June 2014

The property is beautiful (stunning for a Marriott property). The rooms are well-appointed and the beds are super comfortable; and it has an in-hotel Starbucks! The staff and housekeeping personnel were friendly and efficient. I loved everything about my stay except for the access to wifi - I travel everywhere in the world with my wireless internet card in my laptop and it works beautifully except for in this particular property. Whatever their IT dept. has done to block my cell phone (from my room) and wireless card access made getting work done difficult from this property - even in the lobby my access was severely restricted as their IT system kept redirecting me to use their daily rate system ($12.95/day, note it was 'per day' not even 24 hours - my company covers all of my access charges but I don't appreciate the surcharge approach to basic connectivity). I would stay here again if I was on vacation but not while in town on business.

Room Tip: I had a room that looked down into the lobby so it was really quiet - great room.
1  Thank Becky T
Reviewed 8 June 2014

The marquee of the Marriott Marquis is very small. As it just opened, our cab driver had a difficult time finding it. But once we arrived, all was well. I asked for and received a quiet interior facing room. It was comfortable and had everything I needed.

The room service is limited, actually a new concept. Where the food is delivered like take out food instead of a room service tray. There was nothing for me to sign, and the menu was really limited, but that is fine--why end up sitting alone in your room?

Room Tip: ask for an interior room, there are plenty.
3  Thank Tristan1089
Mike_Horowitz, Assistant Front Office Manager at Marriott Marquis Washington, DC, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Hi Tristan1089,
Thank you for the great review! I'm thrilled you enjoyed your stay. I appreciate the feedback as well. We are rolling out a new concept for in-room dining that offers food options that are fresh that can be delivered fast. While I hope you had a great meal, next time you will have to try some of our fabulous food and beverage outlets that we have to offer. I hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

I liked the "new hotel" feel and I liked my stay, but I'd like to talk about two issues.
First, each length of rooms has two alcoves that seats two people on reasonably comfortable chairs with a light and a small table. These alcoves look to the inside of the building. See my photos (which I think will be photo #21). So I walked into the alcove on my first night and wanted to look down at the bar area so I went as close to the edge as I could. Then I nearly froze when I realized that the glass window was only about three feet high. If you look at my photo with the red arrow, on the right you can see the alcoves on the other side. So if you have rowdy kids that like to run inside it's probably best to keep them from running into these alcoves at speed. If you don't like heights, you might want to stay out too.
Second, the executive lounge is that largest that I've ever seen and it is well-stocked, and well-staffed. It was pretty nice with five distinct areas. But,... it did seem that there were lots of people in this lounge that didn't fit the normal profile of people in the executive lounge. So, I'm assuming that it's not only Marriot Elite that have access to the lounge but also perhaps people that are just staying on the 12th or 13th floor. In other words, it was quite noisy with kids from around 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm. It's a nice place to go to, but don't expect it to be quiet.

Room Tip: If you're Marriott Elite ask for the 12th or 13th floor and you'll be on the same floor as t...
2  Thank Mark N
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Stayed here for a few nights in early June, about a month after opening. My room was on the 12th floor and faced the atrium. The room was nice but had a bit of that new car smell (adhesives gassing out??) which I got used too and didn't notice after the first night.

This property is very large and is a bit out of the way unless you are at the convention center. It's about a 5 minute walk from the Metro (can't remember the stop but it's under the convention center) and 10 minute walk to Chinatown.

There are a few restaurants on the property but I only stopped at the sports bar which was decent.

The area is OK but it's a bit of an island so when you walk off the property it's a block or two before you'll find offsite restaurants or stores. And the back side of the property seems very quiet (very little foot traffic) so i'm not sure I'd venture in that direction alone and on foot.

the good:

* Executive lounge (I think they call it M lounge) is very big and has a nice outdoor patio area
* staff very friendly
* rooms large and nicely furnished

the not so good:

* somewhat out of the way area
* not much in the way of offsite restaurants unless you walk a few blocks

I'll stay here again

3  Thank jmh22
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Brand new hotel in a great location , everyone in the District was very excited. Unfortunately, I think this place has fallen a bit flat. It is a great location, it is a huge hotel, perfect for conventions and large groups, and it has an incredible fitness center - those are the goods. The not so good: the carpet in my room was covered with stains and wasn't too clean; the road noise is awful and I was on the 11th floor; room service was service in a bag, which was kind of cute, but they only have 2 wines by the glass, which they will serve with rooms service - even though they have a big choice downstairs - go down and get it, I was told - seriously?!?

Room Tip: My tip if you want to sleep is to get a room elsewhere
2  Thank ThatchersBiscuit