“Nice, New, and Comfortable!”

Marriott Marquis Washington, DC
Ranked #63 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
“Nice, New, and Comfortable!”
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

I spent one night at the Marriott Marquis on business and was very impressed with the hotel and its staff. I had many apprehensions after reading earlier reviews, but my experience was fantastic. There was no shortage of outstanding guest service from the moment I arrived.

After a smooth and easy check-in, I settled into my room on the 6th floor. The room was extremely spacious quiet! I never heard any interior noise and only the occasional siren from the outside. The decor was fresh and modern and the bathroom was well done. The handle to turn the water on/off in the glass walk-in shower was opposite of the shower head so you didn't have to get splattered with cold water when turning the water on. Genius! And this shows the care and thoughtfulness in design...

After settling in, I grabbed dinner at the bar in the lobby. Service was fantastic and the Marriott Burger was cooked perfectly and really hit the spot.

I have absolutely no complaints about the Marriott Marquis and would enjoy staying here again!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank snarlz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

1. The hotel itself is beautiful.
2. The rooms are nicely appointed but I recommend asking for a room with a city view vs. atrium view (creepy how people can see in your room from the atrium and other room windows)
3. The concierge lounge is nice but way too busy every morning with long lines and empty coffee decanters so after 3 days I gave up and bought my own from Starbucks
4. The lounge staff was fantastic
5. The bellhops and counter staff need way more training.
6. Check your bill when you leave. They tried charging me $53 and I didn't have a vehicle

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Brian30135
Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 June 2014

They greeted us and took us to the reservation desk
There is still a little learning needed but the employees were really trying hard
Nice room-the usual but one of the nicest I have been in.
We were in a conference so it was convenient but otherwise not in the middle of everything.
Beautiful lobby
Food at seminar was excellent!!

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Whareareugoing
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I'm going easy on this property as I know it's only been open a little over 1 month. I was excited to stay here for 1 night as I'll be returning in November for a conference.
First, when I arrived in my car, the valet guy spoke little English. I wasn't confident he understood what I was saying. The check in process was great and typical Marriott. The signage on each floor needs to be updated. It appears at times, the arrow is pointing one direction and it's pointing a different direction when looking for your room. The gym is AMAZING! The M Lounge is very nice with a view of the top of the Washington Monument. I will have to say that I was very disappointed when I arrived at 9:05 AM on a weekday for breakfast only to have it cleared by 9:00 AM. My only choice was to eat in the restaurant. When I mentioned this to the front desk guy on check out, he apologized. Keep the food out a little longer in the lounge. The check out process was normal Marriott but I was hoping during the check out the breakfast would have been comp'd because of the lounge incident but it wasn't. The receipt was emailed to me...check out was yesterday and I'm still waiting on it. Yet, Avis can email me a receipt within 5 minutes. This hotel could be amazing once it works out its kinks. I'm hoping for a better experience when I return in November. It's in a great central location so you can walk to Metro Center or walk 2 blocks to the Metro Yellow/Green Line at Mt. Vernon Square.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jdinsandiego
Parker, Colorado
Reviewed 10 June 2014

The property is beautiful (stunning for a Marriott property). The rooms are well-appointed and the beds are super comfortable; and it has an in-hotel Starbucks! The staff and housekeeping personnel were friendly and efficient. I loved everything about my stay except for the access to wifi - I travel everywhere in the world with my wireless internet card in my laptop and it works beautifully except for in this particular property. Whatever their IT dept. has done to block my cell phone (from my room) and wireless card access made getting work done difficult from this property - even in the lobby my access was severely restricted as their IT system kept redirecting me to use their daily rate system ($12.95/day, note it was 'per day' not even 24 hours - my company covers all of my access charges but I don't appreciate the surcharge approach to basic connectivity). I would stay here again if I was on vacation but not while in town on business.

Room Tip: I had a room that looked down into the lobby so it was really quiet - great room.
1 Thank Becky T
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 8 June 2014

The marquee of the Marriott Marquis is very small. As it just opened, our cab driver had a difficult time finding it. But once we arrived, all was well. I asked for and received a quiet interior facing room. It was comfortable and had everything I needed.

The room service is limited, actually a new concept. Where the food is delivered like take out food instead of a room service tray. There was nothing for me to sign, and the menu was really limited, but that is fine--why end up sitting alone in your room?

Room Tip: ask for an interior room, there are plenty.
3 Thank Tristan1089
Mike_Horowitz, Assistant Front Office Manager at Marriott Marquis Washington, DC, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Hi Tristan1089,
Thank you for the great review! I'm thrilled you enjoyed your stay. I appreciate the feedback as well. We are rolling out a new concept for in-room dining that offers food options that are fresh that can be delivered fast. While I hope you had a great meal, next time you will have to try some of our fabulous food and beverage outlets that we have to offer. I hope to see you again soon.
Pennington, New Jersey
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I liked the "new hotel" feel and I liked my stay, but I'd like to talk about two issues.
First, each length of rooms has two alcoves that seats two people on reasonably comfortable chairs with a light and a small table. These alcoves look to the inside of the building. See my photos (which I think will be photo #21). So I walked into the alcove on my first night and wanted to look down at the bar area so I went as close to the edge as I could. Then I nearly froze when I realized that the glass window was only about three feet high. If you look at my photo with the red arrow, on the right you can see the alcoves on the other side. So if you have rowdy kids that like to run inside it's probably best to keep them from running into these alcoves at speed. If you don't like heights, you might want to stay out too.
Second, the executive lounge is that largest that I've ever seen and it is well-stocked, and well-staffed. It was pretty nice with five distinct areas. But,... it did seem that there were lots of people in this lounge that didn't fit the normal profile of people in the executive lounge. So, I'm assuming that it's not only Marriot Elite that have access to the lounge but also perhaps people that are just staying on the 12th or 13th floor. In other words, it was quite noisy with kids from around 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm. It's a nice place to go to, but don't expect it to be quiet.

Room Tip: If you're Marriott Elite ask for the 12th or 13th floor and you'll be on the same floor as t...
2 Thank Mark N