“Pleasant stay”

Ranked #58 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Yorktown, Virginia
“Pleasant stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

I spent last weekend at the Marriott Marquis visiting my daughter. It is beautiful new hotel. It started off a little rocky in that the GPS address sends you to the entrance for valet parking and cab only. We pulled in there not knowing it was valet parking only. We just wanted to have one member of our party get dropped off while the other members found less expensive parking. I read previous posts about $45 dollars per night and was able to find parking 2 blocks away across from the Renaissance hotel for $30 for the whole weekend. When we tried to just drop off a member off our party , the valet kept trying to get our keys. After that things went smoother. Check in was a breeze and the staff pleasant. My husband needs non feather pillows and they sent some up right away. You can tell it is a very new hotel. Everything is very fresh and clean. Smells kind of like a new car! We did not have a hair dryer in the bathroom and again they sent one up right away when asked. The beds are comfortable and the room decent size. The only complaint about the room was that the toilet must have a leak because it would run periodically. We left the bathroom door closed at night so we wouldn't hear it.
We accidentally left my daughter's rain jacket in the closet. I called the hotel and they took my name and number and said they will call me back. Haven't heard back yet.
The location is great. Very close to a lot of tourist sites.
Can't comment on the restaurants, bars or exercise facilities in that we ate and drank at the numerous close by restaurants and got our exercise walking all over DC.
We got a great grand opening rate $107 per night. I am guessing rated will be much higher in the future but I would stay there again even if the rate were higher.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (387)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

I spent three nights here while attending a conference, and I was extremely pleased. The room was nice, comfortable, and the hotel is beautiful. What impressed me most was how friendly and helpful the entire staff is, including the service technicians. They all asked questions about my visit and they went out of their way to be helpful and friendly. When I checked in the clerk walked halfway across the lobby with me to show me where the elevators were, and she was chatting as we walked. These people are obviously well trained and committed to outstanding service! There were a couple tweaks they had to address, not surprising for a hotel open less than six weeks. The first night there was no tv service, but they had it fixed by morning, and my room safe didn't work until Security came and reset the electronic lock. Ate two dinners and one lunch in Hi Velocity, and the food was excellent, and the entire staff quite friendly. The fitness center is huge and on two levels, and is unparalleled among hotel fitness centers I've seen.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Ashburn, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

Beautiful new hotel. The staff were very friendly and professional. The hotel features a stadium sized lobby with multiple restaurants and bars. The hotel room window faced towards the lobby and receives natural light through a large glass roof. The room itself was on the club level, well appointed but the size of a New York city hotel room. This lack of space is not what i expected in DC. The Club Lounge is easily the nicest i have seen with a large balcony and room for at least a couple hundred people. The biggest problem was one bank of elevators were being serviced making the walk to the hotel room inconvenient. Overall I was happy and would stay there again.

Room Tip: Try asking for larger rooms if available
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

I spent one night at the Marriott Marquis on business and was very impressed with the hotel and its staff. I had many apprehensions after reading earlier reviews, but my experience was fantastic. There was no shortage of outstanding guest service from the moment I arrived.

After a smooth and easy check-in, I settled into my room on the 6th floor. The room was extremely spacious quiet! I never heard any interior noise and only the occasional siren from the outside. The decor was fresh and modern and the bathroom was well done. The handle to turn the water on/off in the glass walk-in shower was opposite of the shower head so you didn't have to get splattered with cold water when turning the water on. Genius! And this shows the care and thoughtfulness in design...

After settling in, I grabbed dinner at the bar in the lobby. Service was fantastic and the Marriott Burger was cooked perfectly and really hit the spot.

I have absolutely no complaints about the Marriott Marquis and would enjoy staying here again!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank snarlz
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

1. The hotel itself is beautiful.
2. The rooms are nicely appointed but I recommend asking for a room with a city view vs. atrium view (creepy how people can see in your room from the atrium and other room windows)
3. The concierge lounge is nice but way too busy every morning with long lines and empty coffee decanters so after 3 days I gave up and bought my own from Starbucks
4. The lounge staff was fantastic
5. The bellhops and counter staff need way more training.
6. Check your bill when you leave. They tried charging me $53 and I didn't have a vehicle

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Brian30135
Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

They greeted us and took us to the reservation desk
There is still a little learning needed but the employees were really trying hard
Nice room-the usual but one of the nicest I have been in.
We were in a conference so it was convenient but otherwise not in the middle of everything.
Beautiful lobby
Food at seminar was excellent!!

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Whareareugoing
San Diego, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

I'm going easy on this property as I know it's only been open a little over 1 month. I was excited to stay here for 1 night as I'll be returning in November for a conference.
First, when I arrived in my car, the valet guy spoke little English. I wasn't confident he understood what I was saying. The check in process was great and typical Marriott. The signage on each floor needs to be updated. It appears at times, the arrow is pointing one direction and it's pointing a different direction when looking for your room. The gym is AMAZING! The M Lounge is very nice with a view of the top of the Washington Monument. I will have to say that I was very disappointed when I arrived at 9:05 AM on a weekday for breakfast only to have it cleared by 9:00 AM. My only choice was to eat in the restaurant. When I mentioned this to the front desk guy on check out, he apologized. Keep the food out a little longer in the lounge. The check out process was normal Marriott but I was hoping during the check out the breakfast would have been comp'd because of the lounge incident but it wasn't. The receipt was emailed to me...check out was yesterday and I'm still waiting on it. Yet, Avis can email me a receipt within 5 minutes. This hotel could be amazing once it works out its kinks. I'm hoping for a better experience when I return in November. It's in a great central location so you can walk to Metro Center or walk 2 blocks to the Metro Yellow/Green Line at Mt. Vernon Square.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple