“Beautiful hotel just missing a pool”

Marriott Marquis Washington, DC
Ranked #61 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Montreal, Canada
“Beautiful hotel just missing a pool”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Absolutely gorgeous hotel. Apparently it is the biggest hotel in Washington downtown. It is located next to the convention center. When I asked the concierge as to why they did not have a pool, the answer was that Marriott did some research and most business travelers did not use a pool but instead the fitness center. So hence no pool but a really huge and impressive gym. However I did miss not being able to swim to relax. As for location. It is not bad however I would have preferred to be closer to the heart of downtown, this hotel seems to be more at the edge.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sue L
Lauren M, Front Office Voyager at Marriott Marquis Washington, DC, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Hello Sue L,
We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! We are very proud of our fitness center, which is 8000 sq feet full of state of the art athletic machines. We hope to see you again in the near future! Upon your next visit I suggest winding down with a snack or beverage in our Lobby Lounge, or one of our other food outlets. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts with us!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I stayed here June 30 - July 2 and there are a few noticeable improvements that can be made. First, my room had no hairdryer. They brought one up right away. Also, it would be nice to have a clock in the room. The hand wash container was nearly empty. The lamp on the desk didn't work for the first night but on the second night, it suddenly worked. I turned the fan to OFF but it continued to blow right where the pillows lay so that your head gets blasted with air all night. I had to fully direct the girl at the concierge desk how to input the info that I wanted into the WMATA trip planner system.

I really liked that my room was internal and had a view of the lobby - this eliminated all of the traffic noise at night. The fitness facility was very impressive.

Room Tip: Internal room will eliminate traffic noise.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank cgerk
Hello Cgerk,
Thank you for taking the time to discuss your recent hotel visit. Our hotel aims to continually improve and progress, so we greatly appreciate this valuable feedback. I will take the points you shared, and use these as training opportunities for our team. We thank you again, and sincerely hope to see you again in the future!
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I believe everything was really good. But there is one thing that needs improvement.
Valet parking.
Different ceremonies are held in the convention center of the hotel. If you arrive in a busy time, (like us) you must spend a lot of time in the line up. Also it will take a lot of time to get your car back :)
I definitely recommend this hotel

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello KS,
I was pleased to hear your recent stay with us went well! Thank you for your feedback, I will discuss this issue with our team. We are certainly happy to have had you stay at or property, and hope to see you again in the near future.
Thank you!
Lauren Murphy
Lauren.Murphy@Marriott.com
Alliance, Ohio
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We stayed 3 nights at this Marriott. My traveling partner was in a wheelchair and the staff was very
helpful in assisting us with luggage, taxis, food service, and car parking. The lobby is huge and offers
free wifi while it will cost you in a room. The views are very nice of the city, and the drapes keep the
sun out early in the morning. The metro is only 2 blocks away and the hotel will whistle a taxis for you
quickly 24 hours a day. Our room was nice in size, had coffee and tea selections for daily use and the
shower and shampoo were great. Maps are available in the lobby along with a free copy of the USA
newspaper and/or the Washington Post. I walked to most attractions in 20 minutes or less including the
White House. Good local food is 4 blocks away in Chinatown, and Dupont Circle has a place called
Zorbba's that makes good pizza. ChopIt makes excellent fresh salads. Local coffee shops are everywhere. My biggest issue was the price to park your car overnight-check rate first. Nice staff and
I recommend this hotel to families, business people, vacationers too.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 11th floor with an outside view. Stay away from the elevator. Walls were good...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Mike_Horowitz, Assistant Front Office Manager at Marriott Marquis Washington, DC, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Hi Coachlavery,
Thanks for the great review! I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to discover some of the gems in the local DC area. Come back and see us again soon!
cattjer812
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for police week, as my husband was with the police unity tour. The hotel itself is gorgeous and still smells like paint. The rooms are pretty typical Marriott rooms. The issues we had were with the service provided by the hotel. First off, the cell phone reception in the rooms is horrible! I hope they work on that. Second, we waited SO long for our food at every restaurant. They are expensive, but convenient, so we opted to try them. The waiter at breakfast practically begged us to take the buffet option instead of ordering a la carte. Our room wasn't serviced during our 2 night stay, which wasn't essential but we had to call down for coffee cups and towels. The hotel itself is right next to the convention center and pretty close to everything else. If the glitches are worked out, it will be a lovely place to stay.

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank cattjer812
Hi cattjer812,
Thank you for the helpful feedback. While I am thrilled that you enjoyed our beautiful hotel, I would like to apologize for the setbacks you experienced during your stay. Please feel free to reach out to me to discuss your recent stay with us in more detail so that we can prevent this from happening again.
Thank you.
Bloomington, Illinois
Reviewed 30 June 2014

we traveled last weekend with our family [2 adults, 3 kids ages 9,8,6] and made a reservation through a travel agent for adjoining rooms. i have stayed in several hotels in adjoining rooms with the kids and all of the hotels say that the adjoining rooms are a request, not a guarantee. this was the first one that ever hid behind this language. it wasn't until our travel agent persisted that they magically found adjoining rooms! the fact that they were on the club level was the likely reason that they were reluctant to give us these rooms...but only for the first 2 nights. we then had to move to other, nonadjoining rooms. we elected to relocate to the JW Marriott that had awesome service and were able to honor our 'request.' 2 more painful aspects were the restaurant [where we waited for 30 minutes without getting our drinks and never saw a waiter to order] and the lounge who chastised my wife for bringing in my 3 kids while i packed up to leave [i guess they said that she was only allowed to bring one guest per adult?!?!].
there were some good people that worked there including jabari at the front desk and all the bellmen, but they were handcuffed apparently by the management. the hotel is beautiful and spacious and in a good location. i understand that the hotel just opened recently [a month or so] and they may not have all the kinks worked out, but i was extremely disappointed.
also, there is NO POOL...just as an FYI.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank jerome o
Hi jerome o,
I was so disappointed to read about your experience. Please accept my apologies. While we are a brand new hotel as you pointed out, we still need to meet the high standards that we set for ourselves by providing excellent service. Although we were able to meet your requests, I apologize that it did take a lot of effort on your part to make this happen. If possible, please reach out to me with your reservation details so that I can follow up and use this as a training opportunity for the team. With regards to your food and beverage experiences, more information as to the outlets that you dined in would be helpful for us to better understand what happened. I sincerely apologize for your experience and hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
Mike Horowitz
michael.horowitz@marriott.com
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Single King bed room on 9th floor, the floor was not vacuumed, the bed linens were not changed, and there are paint stains on the carpet. There are only eight elevators for the entire hotel. The lines for the elevators were 30 minutes and more. The food was cold and unappealing. I will not recommend this hotel for business or conferences.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank bgedison
Hello Bgedison,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with our property. Our hotel prides itself on our service, so I am very sorry to hear about your recent experience. Please feel free to email me to further discuss the issues you ran into. I sincerely hope you choose to stay at our property again, in which case feel free to email me prior to your arrival. We would love to provide you with a brilliant second stay!
Lauren Murphy